Started by Bruno of NH, October 16, 2018, 08:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

What do you think
2005 lt40 280 hrs 28hp
No set works
Non hydraulic 
$11,000
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

You need setworks and hydraulics.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curved-wood

I wouldn't return to a mill with no hydraulics. Lot faster and incredibly easier on the body. 
Set work:  I have no set works on my mill and I could get along. That depends on your production. 

SawyerTed

+1 on setworks and hydraulics. I would lose interest in sawing if I had a manual mill.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

I'd call WM and see if those features could be added and the cost to do so. If not too costly might be a real bargain. I'm with the rest, I would want both those features.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Adding factory hydraulics to a manual lt40 can be done, but it's not really practical. Two big gotcha's. Cutting and welding of the frame is required.. The other is electrical. Woodmizer use a 12 volt dc motor to power the hydraulic pump. The manual mill electrical system doesn't have the needed 200 amp capacity. Really better to trade up.  For another option, go here home-made hydraulics
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beav

Hydraulics... absolutely!!
Setworks...meh
I can figure the next cut before I start the last cut with half my brain tied behind my back. The scales make it easy.
No setworks is one less finicky doo-dad requiring periodic monetary infusions. Plus I hear it's habit forming.
Just my 2c

Dave Shepard

You can get away without setworks on a standard 40, but a Super or bigger moves too fast to hit the mark. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DPatton

For me with my mill the setworks is just too accurate not to use. Having to adjust the head height based off a scale takes too long and I don't produce the same accuracy. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

PAmizerman

Save your money and get hydraulics and some form of setworks. Accuset 2 is definitely better!!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

JB Griffin

Setworks is very nice, and will increase productivity,  but not necessary at all. If you don't believe me watch Hank Somero show the world that it ain't necessary as he won the shoot out last year without computer aid.

2017 Portable Sawmill Shootout - YouTube
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Brucer

That's exactly the same as my first mill (only I didn't get the debarker :().

I did just fine with it. Who says you need hydraulics ???? Just me, my manual mill and a Logrite 30" mill special ;D.

Top timber in the pile is a 14" x 21" x 20' long FOHC Ponderosa Pine.

OK, so it was a slog. But I was able to upgrade to a hydraulic mill a year later (with debarker) based on my performance with that job.

As long as you have the log deck package (ramps, winch to load and turn logs) you can handle some pretty big stuff.

Be warned that there's a lot more walking to saw a log than there is on a hydraulic mill. The clamp is only accessible from the loading side and you have to be on the other side to raise and lower the side stops and work the toeboards. No roller type toeboards on that particular mill, either. Just a plate that you crank up and down at each end.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!