iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

An aye-aye is also a lemur  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Do they eat mice? I wish MM would take mine to Colorado to use for Elk bait. >:(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Lawg Dawg

Had a customer brought me 4 of these big pine logs, 16' long. He wanted all of it Live Sawn, 4/4"... ::), but he's paying so I said whatever you want!

About the time I got done with them, 1500 bf, this happened

Any advise on straightning this out?  I'm sure I'm not the first one to do it! ;D

After all this today, it was off to the ball park!  Fall Ball!

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

LD, your at least  the second person to do that to your clamp. I did it a couple weeks ago on a massive white oak log that had no business being on my mill. A quick phone call to gmmills and I had it fixed up in 10 min. Unbolt the three alan socket screws from the back of the bracket move the cylinder for the clamp down until it lines up and bolt back together. In my case nothing was bent and it went back together easily.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

gmmills

Lawg Dawg, The issue with the bent cylinder rod has recently become a real issue. The problem is related to later model mills. Yours is the 3rd one that I am aware of, all 2018 model years. Measure the diameter of the chrome rod. Bet good money, it is only 3/4". Ironically all the previous mills that I have owned or local sawyers mills I have helped repair all have 1" diameter cylinder rods. Never have seen one of these cylinders bend.  Have a local sawyer with a new Super 70 that has bent 2 of the smaller dia cylinders. He finally received, under warranty, the larger dia cylinder and no issues. My mill has the larger 1" cylinder on it. 5800hrs on it and not one issue with this cylinder.  Contact WM and have them send you a new larger dia cylinder. Apparently, Wm has inadvertently substituted the smaller cyl in place of the larger one. There is not been a part number change that I am aware of.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on October 16, 2018, 08:13:24 PMAny advise on straightning this out?  I'm sure I'm not the first one to do it!

Must be the the white oak curse. I did the same with mine on a BIG white oak. (isn't that why we purchased a wide saw?).
Once bent, it keeps doing it. Required a new hydraulic unit, which was easy to replace.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: PA_Walnut on October 17, 2018, 05:15:53 AM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on October 16, 2018, 08:13:24 PMAny advise on straightning this out?  I'm sure I'm not the first one to do it!

Must be the the white oak curse. I did the same with mine on a BIG white oak. (isn't that why we purchased a wide saw?).
Once bent, it keeps doing it. Required a new hydraulic unit, which was easy to replace.
No kidding?  I bent mine the first time about a month after I got it.  :-\  Thought that rod looked a little flimsy though for the job it's supposed to do.

After closer inspection this morning, it is bent back and sideways  :D. Also it is a 3/4" rod, but checking my other cylinders, they put 1" on the toe boards and 3/4" on the two plane clamp. Looks like it should have been the other way around. That two plane clamp gets pushed all kind of ways, especially when you working with the big logs that this mill is supposed to handle.

John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Lko67

Cherry a friend gave me. Was a blow down got eleven logs out of it. Stump log is 36 on small end but only 6 feet long until it y's. Will be a challenge for the LT15 gotta wait till ground freezes as to not tear up yard. I'm gonna wax ends do ya think they'll be ok probably be 2ish months.

Brad_bb

Consider getting the logs on some branches/stickers if it's going to be longer than a month.  Which I would say it would be til the ground is froze.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Lawg Dawg

Whatcha ALMOST not sawing ever again, because your 6' under...I was going to retrieve 2 pine logs in the woods this morning that were already cut down about 3 weeks ago, quick run.  I got there on the tractor, about half mile ride, realised I forgot my hardhat. No problem, just getting these two logs, quick run.  Got them out and loaded on the trailer, saw this old cherry crotch tree I been eyeing about 10 years, I'm going to get that while I'm here to finish off my load.  Yep, widow maker come down on my head, bout knocked me out!  Got a nice bloody gash on top of my head now! Be careful, and always wear your hardhat!

That's what got me below, the dead branch

I did call Woodmizer this morning for a replacement hydraulic ram, and their checking on getting me the new style debarker arm  ::), we'll see

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Glad you weren't hurt worse.  You going to the dr?  A concussion is very possible and nothing to mess around about.

Heal quickly!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Dang Dawg - good to see you standing.  That's a bit one to get hit with. I got made with a whopping 2" branch while wearing a helmet and still ended up with a concussion for a month.  I didn't feel the symptoms at first, dizzynes, confusion, etc. but after a day or so they came on strong.   

I called my wife to come and get me to bring me to the DR's office just in case and she was a ways away so she called a friend who came over to make sure I was OK.  When he got there I was holding a frozen salmon to my head - it was the only thing in the freezer that I could grab and hold there at the time - my buddy went right into panic mode as he though I was brain damaged holding a fish to my head!!  The did a cat scan just to make sure there was no bleeding.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I also got hit on the head with a widow maker, but I was wearing a hard hat.  The widow maker bounced off the hard hat and hit me on the shoulder.  The shoulder turned black, blue, red, green, yellow, and purple.  Lesson learned. 

Dawg, glad that you are still kicking.  You are one lucky Dawg. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Crossroads

Wow, your lucky Dawg! Take it easy for a few days ....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 17, 2018, 09:38:02 PM
I also got hit on the head with a widow maker, but I was wearing a hard hat.  
Your head's a little harder than most peoples.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

E-Tex

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Tropical Sawyer

Did some more milling today, mahogany 2x4s again :). Wasn't as much tension in this log so the finished lumber was a bit straighter. I probably shouldn't be blaming anything on the wood anyway, the crookedness is probably my fault :D. 
While we have been making cants for the 2" material we have been cutting 1" boards which will be used to replace a section of flooring in the house. Should now have enough 2x4s to finish the roof of the milling shed and can begin to re-saw the 1" material into boards for stacking undercover.
Pile of 1" boards can be seen in the background.

Seems a shame to turn mahogany into 2x4s but we need something to make a roof out of and get out of the mud.

Looks like I need to wear my hardhat!
Woodland Mills HM130, Stihl ms310 and ms660, Granberg chainsaw mill, 3 ton Kobelco excavator, 1 ton Chinese front-end loader.
New to sawmilling but have been chainsawing for a few years.

Banjo picker

It took a bloody head before I started wearing a hard hat.  I just couldn't learn from other folks boo boos.  I made a promise to my wife that I would never cut another tree without one.  I would show you the picture, but most of you have already seen it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Just Right

Glad you are on the right side of the dirt DAWG!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Crossroads

I've been busy framing the shop that we're going to winter in with the 5th wheel. Somehow I got convinced to sheet the wall before I stand them up. The 24x16 end wall went up pretty easy with the Kubota, but the 40' side walls I figure to be more challenging. The same guy that I met in church who has 3 mills also has a self loader log truck and has agreed to stand them up for me. Well, he said he might be able to show up today, so while I was waiting for him, I set up the mill and cut a 4x12x20' for a header over the main door and a couple dozen 2x4's 20'&16'. I can't believe how much better the quality of the lumber is that I cut today compared to the #2+ kdf I bought from the lumber yard. Anyway, I also ended up framing the other 40' wall while I was waiting since the snow is coming and I can't afford to waste any time. He wasn't able to make it today and his next window is Saturday. I might have walls laying all over the place be the time he gets here lol  

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

It's good to have a plan and a friend.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Tropical Sawyer on October 18, 2018, 02:25:56 AM
Did some more milling today, mahogany 2x4s again :). Wasn't as much tension in this log so the finished lumber was a bit straighter. I probably shouldn't be blaming anything on the wood anyway, the crookedness is probably my fault :D.
While we have been making cants for the 2" material we have been cutting 1" boards which will be used to replace a section of flooring in the house. Should now have enough 2x4s to finish the roof of the milling shed and can begin to re-saw the 1" material into boards for stacking undercover.
Pile of 1" boards can be seen in the background.

Seems a shame to turn mahogany into 2x4s but we need something to make a roof out of and get out of the mud.

Looks like I need to wear my hardhat!
I thought I was the only one to mill shirtless in shorts. Those socks ought to be full of sawdust. I usually wear crocks when I mill in my shorts so I dont get sawdust socks. 

OffGrid973

I can't even imagine how cold a shower you need to take with no shirt and those socks. 

Not even worrying about poison ivy but walnut, Cherry and many other Hardwoods make me burn if I go straight to a hot shower without a cold full rinse.

Not even a hard hat can help that :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!