iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Edger/vertical resaw??

Started by etroup10, April 19, 2017, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Have any of you guys ever seen or heard of someone building an edger using bandsaws instead of circular saws?? I was thinking it may work pretty well. An engine on both of the saws, have one of the saw head assemblies adjustable. I imagine blades would last pretty long due to only cutting 1-2" material most of the time, with little or no bark. There shouldn't be any chance for kick back. Also I think it could double up as a vertical resaw as well if you made the throat wide enough. I may price it out and see what it would cost. If it looks affordable I may try it. But I also have a lead on an edger that has sat outside for 10 years, so if the price is low enough on that I might just go that route.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

red

A resaw usually has a bandsaw blade but an edger has a circle blade.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

etroup10

Yeah I know. Just contemplating the idea of building an edger with two vertical bandsaws that could also double up as a resaw
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Ron Wenrich

I look at it this way.  If it was a feasible idea, then the guys who know stuff about bandmills would already have built one.  Guys like Woodmizer, Baker, Cook, etc.  Those guys either don't make edgers, or make circle blade edgers.

The stationary saw wouldn't be much of a problem, as you can use a fence for one sided edging.  But, indexing a full machine may be the hard part.  You will also need some sort of feed rolls, and something to hold the board down. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

etroup10

Thanks!! That's pretty similar to what I had in mind, just heavier duty and more automated!

Thank You Sponsors!