iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy a new one ton without breaking the bank?

Started by GRANITEstateMP, December 23, 2017, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

Hi guys,

I feel a bit silly asking this question since I work at a car dealer...  But we sell Toyota's!  I'm looking at replacing my 2005 2500HD Reg cab truck with a new or newer 1 ton.  I've been poking around and used work trucks in NH are ridiculously over-priced, and then I started looking at new but a lot of them are all loaded up with options.

I'm looking for a one ton truck, regular cab, 4x4, prefer dual wheels, no frills (I don't care about leather, or power windows).  The only thing I'd like it to have is what they used to call the "snow plow prep package" (dual battery's, heated tow mirrors, limited slip rear diff).  Heck, I don't care if it's cab & chassis, dump body, flat bed, dump stake side...

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm just going a bit crazy when I look at prices and think of what they were not that long ago...  Not sure if anybody's knows of "the place" to buy work trucks?  It might be a magically place, like Oz, that don't really exist
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Gearbox

Montana rubber mats crank windows and a manual . a lot have high miles but zero rust .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Stuart Caruk

I bought my dodge Megacam 1 ton from Dave Smith Motors in Kellog Idaho back in 2007. They were $14,000 less than the best deal I could find locally. I figured it had to be a scam, but I;d heard great things, so I made the deal on the phone, hopped a Horizon air flight to Spokane, and their shuttle van came to pick me up for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Kellog. The truck was exactly as advertised, and ready to go. They insisted I do a test drive before signing the paperwork. 5 or 10 minutes after that I was done, ready to go, and headed back to PDX. It was a great experience.

Last year when I was deathly ill, my wife wanted a new SUV to be sure she wouldn't get stuck getting me to and from dialysis, or miss the call for a transplant, so I called them up again and put together a deal for a brand new Chevy Traverse. Still priced better than the local dealers by almost $9k. I was too sick to go get it, so I paid a car hauler $550 to load it up and bring it back to PDX for me. Took a week or so from my order, but again, a simple no hassle transaction.

I have no idea how they can offer such great prices, but the entire town of Kellog is almost 1 big car dealership operated by Dave Smith motors. I'll probably never buy another vehicle elsewhere.

Even though you're across the country it might be worth checking them out. The reduced price typically offsets the shipping cost, and then some. Shipping vehicles around the country is easy.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

celliott

I know everybody wants a diesel, but they're pricey. If you can live without one (powerwise I think the gassers have enough for all but the super heavy loads) fuel economy is bad, sure, but that diesel option adds alot of coin to the price tag. Most of the gas V8 options now are over 400hp.
My 2 cents, look for a gasser and save a few thousand....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

barbender

I'd agree with celliot, a diesel is getting hard to justify unless it is actually towing all the time. In the long run, a GM 6.0 would probably be a lot cheaper, and especially if it's not loaded all the time. I love my diesel except that it's just change leaking out of my pocket 90% of the time.
Too many irons in the fire

jwade

i was in the same situation last year. i have had diesels since the early 80's but the sticker on the new models were nearly 11,000 more than gas engines and the gas mileage is not much different than the diesel unless heavy towing, and here on the eastern seaboard the price difference between gas and diesel averages about 60 cents more. for myself i could not justify the price difference. best of luck to you.

celliott

I just priced out a Ford F350 on their website (not often very similar to dealers prices FWIW) 6.2 V8, snow plow prep package, dual wheels, single cab 8' bed, 4x4 for $39k. The 6.7 diesel adds another $9000. I'm sure the cummins engine over the hemi (ram has two gas V8 options I believe) and the duramax over the GM gas V8 is a similar price jump.

Around my area I've seen some good deals on the ram cab and chassis trucks more than the Ford and GM's. Don't know if you're brand loyal or just looking for the best deal.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Hilltop366

Lot of fleets gave up on diesels.

The provincial ambulance fleet went gas, they are leased to the province and then returned and reconditioned for resale. They can put a new gas engine in cheaper than fixing/maintaining the diesel.

coxy

well ya every one wants to give a dodge away soon the dealers will be paying people to take them (I say this because I have one and never will get another ill walk first rant over :D)  ford so far has the best price around here I got a 16 f250 6.2  with 12k on it for 28grand they had the diesels with 15- 20k on them but they where a full 4 door with 8ft bed for 32-36 grand  I looked at gm same year 20-50k on them for 33-38 grand I could not see paying that much for a truck with that many miles

snowstorm

Ram is the only one to offer a manual trans. If that's what you want. A couple years ago I was looking for a new f550. Diesel 4x4 was about 50 k.they are way more truck than any 1 ton. I haunt had a gas motor in a pickup in well over 20 years. Some like them some don't. And for the gm guys the Allison is built by gm under licence from Allison and that agreement ends soon. I tried a ram it was ok. Not as refined as Ford and the price was higher. If you want a truck to work there is only one

redbeard

Make sure you drive all the makes.
I was set to go Ford until a Ram fell in my lap.
I love the 6.7 Cummins with the Asin transmission. Very Quiet ,exhaust brake with tow haul mode.
You actually have to use your brakes going uphill. 8)
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

OH logger

I bought a dodge 3500 diesel crew cab and chassis last year and put an aluminum flat bed on it. rubber floors, HD VINYL seats (love for the sawdust factor, didn't even know that was an option anymore) power windows, automatic tranny, yadayadayada. I half ways looked at chevy and not really at fords at all (hate the idea of manual 4 wheel engaging if stuck). but from what I saw dodge was the cheapest and if I recall getting a cab and chassis and putting a flat bed on it (even an aluminum one) was cheaper than buying a normal pickup. for me I love the flatbed. the new trucks are so tall you cant get over the side of em without a step ladder and a flatbed is lower and has way more room in it.  I have tool boxes down both sides also. lots of safe dry secure storage. I like the truck so far but it only has 60,000 miles on it. I have always been a chevy guy though. if I wasn't pulling a trailer all the time I would get the big (6.4 I think) gas motor. I think the cummins was either a $7500 or $8,000 dollar option. I always have a trailer on the back so I about had to. PLENTY of power. I may chip it when the warranty is up
john

Runningalucas

I totally get going 'new', but for myself, it's old, used, and affordable.  I drive early 90's 1 ton crewcab 4x4 diesel.  It's been a good truck, and what I saved in payments, and interest on a new truck, I've been able to update, and 'supe' it up quite a bit. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Bruno of NH

In NH check out the Gm dealer ship in Newport
They have many work trucks and lots of one tons
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

JB Griffin

There ain't but one truck out there anyway.  F O R D when only the best will do. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

gspren

I haven't truck shopped since 2013 but then I thought Ram had the best engine, GM had the best transmission, and Ford had the best seats. I wanted to pull the RV coast to coast so my butt won and I got a F450.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

luvmexfood

Few years back I was looking for a used 4x4. Ridiculous what they were wanting for a used one. All had one thing in common. A trip to the tire shop before using. Anyway, I waited and put the word out I was looking. Family member needed a larger pickup to pull their camper and sold me there old one for a good price.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

hopm

I was very fortunate to find a low miles (30k) 2001 F450 4wd with a 7.3. It is WAAAY more truck than I was looking for and more truck than I need. But......I was able to get it dirt cheap and I don't have to worry about what I pull and more importantly I don't have to worry about stopping with whatever I'm pulling. Even though I was able to get it at a low cost, I want it to be as efficient as possible. It will be my primary every day driver. I keep hearing about chips and tuners. This was mentioned earlier in this thread and caught my attention. What guidance can you give? Most of what I would haul on the truck would be small log loads, 5 or 6 at a haul and I stay away from the really big stuff. Pulling would max out at 8 to 9k. Would a chip/tuner help in fuel efficiency?

snowstorm

Quote from: hopm on December 24, 2017, 12:55:21 AM
I was very fortunate to find a low miles (30k) 2001 F450 4wd with a 7.3. It is WAAAY more truck than I was looking for and more truck than I need. But......I was able to get it dirt cheap and I don't have to worry about what I pull and more importantly I don't have to worry about stopping with whatever I'm pulling. Even though I was able to get it at a low cost, I want it to be as efficient as possible. It will be my primary every day driver. I keep hearing about chips and tuners. This was mentioned earlier in this thread and caught my attention. What guidance can you give? Most of what I would haul on the truck would be small log loads, 5 or 6 at a haul and I stay away from the really big stuff. Pulling would max out at 8 to 9k. Would a chip/tuner help in fuel efficiency?
forget you ever heard the word chip or tuner. if you want it to live leave it alone

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: snowstorm on December 24, 2017, 04:22:42 AM
forget you ever heard the word chip or tuner. if you want it to live leave it alone

My 7.3 has a chip with a tuner stacked on top, 252k miles on the clock and never missed a beat. Watch the egts, boost, and fuel pressure and drive it like i stole it.

JB Griffin

My 96 has an Edge programmer on it with 266k mi on it, runs like new.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

DPatton

I hate to sound like advertisement but Chevy is currently offering employee discount pricing to everyone. I've been seeing adds stating 20 - 25% off MSRP.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

sawguy21

That is a marketing scam, MSRP is all over the map depending on the dealer. A fleet lease return can be a good buy, I bought one that was like new and gave me years of reliable service. Bought my current truck, a 2005 Ram ctd, in 2010 and could not be more pleased with it. The lot wanted it gone, it is 2wd, a near base build and a non descript color but ideal for towing my small fifth wheel. Keep your eyes and ears open, there are good deals out there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks everyone, plenty of ideas!  I'll check out the dealer in Idaho for sure!  I'll defiantly check out Newport too, since it's in state. 

I'm not brand specific, they all break, just don't want to buy a truck that's priced at a 1/3 of what it took to build my house!

The search continues, Merry Christmas
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

barbender

I'd concur with others that suggest looking into a 450 or 550 cab/chassis. Sometimes they are priced way more reasonably than a one ton. It seems most of the newer one tons are trimmed out for Rex Tillerson to drive to his ranch from the airport, that's not what I need for a work truck. I like power windows and locks, and a/c, but as for the rest I prefer it pretty basic. I'd take a vinyl floor over carpet any day.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!