iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas 8-27 Mill Used Price

Started by Urbanwoodsupply, September 11, 2018, 12:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanwoodsupply

Looking at purchasing a used Lucas 8-27 circular swing mill with 178 hours on it. I can't find very much information on used Lucas mill. Any ideas on the price of this mill? Those who have one what did you originally pay for it? Any information would help! 

Thanks,

Brad_S.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Almost exactly a year ago I saw an 8-27 advertised in northern NY for $7000.  I called the guy and he said he had traded it to someone nearby for a four wheeler and some other stuff he really didn't want. He said he lived in a depressed area and he couldn't get much more. I said that's too bad, I would've given him up to $10,000. (Mill, 3 used blades, slabbing attachment, lap siding attachment and extension rails for a 40 foot capacity, 60 hours on machine.)

Two days later, he called back and said it's mine if I want it.

I made a 5 hour each way drive to pick it up. Had to re-tip the blades before using it. I did two jobs; one large job cutting a dozen very long, large and boney white oak and a smaller job cutting three 40" red oak.

That was all it took to convince me I was too old for a swing mill!

I sold it on Facebook marketplace in a day for $11,000 with 4 new blades that I had picked up for $200 because the place I had my re-tipping done had been stuck with them from a previous customer and he just wanted them gone. The buyer was happy with the deal and didn't haggle at all although I had priced it at $11K hoping to get my $10K back at the end.

These prices are all within the past year.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!