iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding 18 volt batteries for cordless tools.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 07, 2015, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I use 2 6 1/2 circ saws every day from March till the end of December cutting 1x shiplap and 2x lumber in my exterior repair condo contract . I love lithium ion makes my job much easier :)
People don't want you using there power :(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

John Mc

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 22, 2016, 06:08:13 PM
...I found the 2730 kit for $359.00 on Ebay and have placed the order.

That's a great price. How many batteries, and what size?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

The red Freud blades make the circ saws battery's last much longer .
The coating cuts down on the friction and they stay shard a long time .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

That's good to know. The one that comes on the saw seems to be pretty good also.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

47sawdust

The Freud Diablo blades are what we use almost exclusively.I've never owned a cordless saw,just ordered one yesterday and my buddies at work informed me it was the gateway drug,guess I'll be going in for treatment soon. :D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brad_bb

What rubs me wrong about the battery issues...the older Ni Cad batteries have memory effects and don't last.  So you end up with junk batteries and tools that are still good.  I have Bosch.  Then they really expect you to buy the whole new system of new tools and Li Ion batteries.  They could easily make an adapter to adapt the Li Ion batteries to the older tools, but they won't because they want to sell you the whole new tool line.  It's really wasteful to get rid of all those perfectly good tools. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

DeWalt does make an adapter to use lithium batts with the old tools.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Thinking about that a little more, with the advance in brushless tools, upgrading tools is worth it. In the case of Milwaukee, there are other advantages to the latest tools. For instance if you push a tool too hard, it will shut down, as well as shut down when the battery gets too low or before you overheat it.

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 24, 2016, 10:27:20 AM
Thinking about that a little more, with the advance in brushless tools, upgrading tools is worth it. In the case of Milwaukee, there are other advantages to the latest tools. For instance if you push a tool too hard, it will shut down, as well as shut down when the battery gets too low or before you overheat it.

It's that communication between the tool and the battery that can make it tough to adapt some of the newer Lithium-ion batteries to work with older NiCad tools. THese days, there is more to the batteries than just putting out power.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bruno of NH

The brushless tools perform much better it's like night and day .
I thought it was bull untill I got some and used them :)

Dave Shepard

10" Fuel SCMS, 2 9.0 batteries, $599.00 at the Depot. 400 cuts per charge. I was talking to a contractor yesterday that just got the sawzall with a 9.0 battery and he has been taking down small trees with it. Cordless tools have come a long way! 8)

GRANITEstateMP

About once or twice a year our Interstate Battery guy will tell us that they are running a special on rebuilding tool / jump pack batteries.  Their sale is normally a week or so after I've replaced a dead jump pack with a new one, or bought a new power tool  :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Dave Shepard

Home Depot's marketing department must be made up of reformed drug dealers. :D M18 Fuel Sawzall or Fuel 7 1/4" saw, 1-9.0 battery and a fast charger for $249.00. Separately, the Sawzall is $199, the battery is $199, and the charger is $79. They really know how to lure people in.  :)

John Mc

Makes me wish I had waited to buy my M18 Fuel Sawzall or 7 1/4" circular saw.  THise 9.0 A-H batteries are big, but having at least one of them would be nice... just not $200 nice.

Dave Shepard

I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They wouldd be a good use for a 9.0.

John Mc

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

John Mc

Didn't know they even made a cordless version. I'll have to check it out.

scgargoyle

They make 9.0 batteries now? I built our house with my 5 year old M18 tools, and always seemed to have plenty of battery life. With 5 batteries, I never used them all in one day. I can't remember the last time I had my corded tools out. I recently bought the big 1/2" impact wrench for car and tractor work, and it's a beast. I would have never thought that a cordless tool could have that kind of power. It runs circles around my old pneumatic impact.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

John Mc

One thing Lithium Ion batteries don't like is extended disuse. You don't have to run them all the way down like you did with the old NiCad batteries, but they do like to have electricity flowing in and out of them from time to time.

If you know you'll be storing them for and extended period, it's generally recommended to store them about half full, rather than all the way charged or discharged.

Dave Shepard

I was impressed with the 7 1/4" saw with the 5.0 battery. With the 9.0, it's even better. You can hear the difference just spinning the blade. I had to ram it into a chunk of pine dunnage to get it to stall. I'm looking for some oak now.

Tooling up with the latest tools and bigger batteries is a chunk of money, but for serious use, they really do "cut the cord" as Milwaukee claims. I was thinking about a truck battery with an inverter to charge the M18 packs, but I now have enough batteries, and six chargers, too, that I don't need to recharge during the day.

petefrom bearswamp

Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 11, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
I already had the circ saw, so I got the sawzall. I think I'm going to get the scms later this year, then I'll have three 9.0 batteries. I'll be able to run an entire job site all day without recharging. I wouldn't run the drill or impact on a 9.0, you can go so far on a 5.0, and they are lighter. I'm thinking about the true color work lights. They would be a good use for a 9.0.

Later this year turned out to be today.  :D I didn't get much time to play with the saw, but what I am seeing so far is very impressive. In addition to cutting boards on a job site, I also want to cut dunnage and stickers at the mill. I made a bunch of cuts on a piece of 3x4 thinking I would see the battery drop pretty fast. It didn't budge, still four lights. I cut a bunch of dry cherry 2x6 to see if it would cut without burning, it did great. Still four lights on the battery. Then I made about ten cuts pushing it hard to see how much it would take to make it bog. It didn't really bog down, in fact it cut as well as any of the DeWalt corded saws I've used. I checked the battery immediately after and it was down to three lights, but when I pressed it again two seconds later it was back to four. The only downside is that it's a ten inch, not a twelve.

Cut in black cherry with the 60t blade provided. No burning.

jcbrotz

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 12, 2017, 01:02:13 PM
Just bought a dewalt 40v chainsaw to use at the mill. thought it would be a good idea to have a spare battery and found one but it was 199 bucks.
same site had a scratch and dent leaf blower with battery and charger for 209.
I now have my spare battery plus a leaf blower that i cant find a sratch or dent on.
I have a ridgid drill that has lifetime guarantee on the drill charger and batteries.

petefrom bearswamp how do you like the dewalt chainsaw? I have been thinking heavily about one of these.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!