iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How not to do it

Started by whitepine2, May 05, 2014, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepine2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzd8WtVJVfc

Warning Bad language, but link left for it's educational (don't do this at home) value

beenthere

Language inappropriate for FF, but one should never stand on a ladder to cut off limbs... IMO. Seems they always will fall in such a way to wipe out the ladder (minimum) and ladder and operator (maximum) as happened. Threw him like a rag doll.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Language warning, but I'm inclined to let it stay as it's such a good example of Darwin at work... ::)

As soon as the clip started I wondered exactly how he was going to be taken out. I didn't see it panning out exactly as I did, but I knew it wasn't going to end well.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Ianab,

I kind of expected the branch to swing around and catch him from the other side or knock the ladder out from under him.  Wow, just so wrong.  I don't think he walked away from that one.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Claybraker

1. Ladder not properly secured.
2. Maximum safe working height exceeded.
3. Worker not wearing safety belt, or any other PPE as far as I can tell.

thechknhwk

This happened in my hometown where the kids go to school, but I don't know these guys.  I hope the dude is alright.

doctorb

Man, is this thread titled correctly.  If I have to use a chainsaw at height, I'm hiring somebody else to do it.  I know, some may say that's a luxury.  If you're not experienced with such things, it's a life-saver.  Hope he's OK. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

I could only watch it once.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Vander

Ladders and chainsaws don't mix. A couple of months ago a guy here was paralized for life...same situation. He decided to take down the top of a huge Ginkgo tree. Climbed up 9meters and the top swung around knocking him off. Spine and legs smashed up. Anybody with a bit of experience knows that side branches either swing back at you or kick back.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

Quote from: thecfarm on May 06, 2014, 06:28:37 PM
I could only watch it once.  :(

Yeah, I don't want to watch it again either.

Someone posted a pic on another forum of a guy way up a tree on ladders. The first ladder was in a skid steer bucket, and the next was resting on a crotch. It said the guy was 84. Amazing, people like that usually don't last too long out of the crib. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

What is interesting, the guy is using the saw left handed (at first). Then he uses just his left hand to hold the saw while the right hand appears to reach around the right side of the tree. Even clicking through the video slow, it is hard to see just where that saw ended up.
But the guy holding the ladder appears to have taken that limb on the head (if not, DanG close as I see it).

No hard hats, in addition to the many other things that are just not right... or too smart.

Then again, sometimes you make do with what ya got... be it brains, knowledge, or equipment. And hope for the best, or a short hospital stay.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WmFritz

Quote from: thechknhwk on May 06, 2014, 05:54:23 PM
This happened in my hometown where the kids go to school, but I don't know these guys.  I hope the dude is alright.

A local news story said the guy that fell was OK, but sore.
I don't know them either, but being we're a smaller community, somebody does.
I'll get the dogs on the trail tomorrow.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

I'n shocked that he did not broke something. That was a quite a height he fell.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jargo432

How would a person with limited equipment cut limbs that are high? (without becoming a led kite)
Jack of all trades.

Ianab

Quote from: jargo432 on May 06, 2014, 10:27:17 PM
How would a person with limited equipment cut limbs that are high? (without becoming a led kite)

Only suggestion I have is Don't.

There are various ways of doing it, but they are all going to need some equipment and training. Either ropes and climbing equipment, or a Cherry picker. Cutting a tree from the ground isn't so bad, but once you take a chainsaw 20ft in the air, you best know what you are doing.  :P

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

colincb183

That was pretty hard to watch. :-\ Before I even started running a saw, my dad taught me that chainsaws and ladders DO NOT mix

SLawyer Dave

I admit, I've used the ladder and saw, and know it is a dangerous combination.  However, I have Never been that high off the ground, and always on the back side of the tree with the tree between me and the limb so that it can't kick back and take me off the ladder like that.  I'm always more worried about the limb wrapping around the trunk and taking the ladder out.  I'm glad he appeared to not be more seriously injured.  Very lucky man.

Claybraker

The way we used to do it at the phone co. was with a manually operated pole saw standing on the ground. It's still dangerous, but at least you've got an escape route.

As for working off a ladder, we had straps to secure the base of the ladder to the pole, a rope to secure the top of the ladder, and a safety harness that went around the pole and through the rungs of the ladder. Pretty annoying when you open up a terminal and stir up a hornets nest. You'll get stung a bunch, but you won't fall. :-\

Dave Shepard

The same way you would do brain surgery, hire a professional.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LittleJohn

WHY EVEN CLIMB THAT LADDER  :o  ???  fall the tree and limb it on the ground.

I'm sorry but some people should be required to pass a basics skills class before being allowed to operate certain pieces of manchinery/equipment.  There are a few people I know that appear to have a hard time operating a even a simpple HAMMER some times, and they haven't even been drinking

P.S. I think the saw was thrown to the back of the 40, might want to go look for it

timberlinetree

Wow! Glad he's OK. We take down a lot of big trees and one problem with big limbs like that is you have to cut them fast with a big saw or they will tip land and shoot the but just like the video. A rope tied to the limb then thru a crotch/pully is the best way.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ianab

Quote from: timberlinetree on May 08, 2014, 05:13:21 AM
Wow! Glad he's OK. We take down a lot of big trees and one problem with big limbs like that is you have to cut them fast with a big saw or they will tip land and shoot the but just like the video. A rope tied to the limb then thru a crotch/pully is the best way.

Yes there are various ways to do it safely. Standing on a ladder under the limb is not one of them...

Ian

petefrom bearswamp

Once again the Forest Gump quote.
He might have been OK if he had used a jump cut, but still dumb dumb dumb.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!