iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Alaska

Started by mart, October 01, 2013, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney II

Hi Mart---2 years ago spent some helping a friend from Wasilla--Alex Conners --build a cabin down by Sterling.   I worked with contractor , a Larry Peet from Wasilla we sure a great time.   We even spent some time looking for gold with our metal detectors.  I often wondered how many mills there were in that area.  We did buy some materials from a mill by Solnotna. Anyway has a good time---You live in  a great state.     Don       
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

DRB

We used to saw a lot of cottonwood when I lived in Ohio.  It does shrink a lot. On outdoor applications it must be kept dry and out of contact with the ground or it rots quick.  It is good for indoor use but it is a very soft wood so it dents easy.  Most of it is kind of plain looking but sometimes you get some color in it.  I fuzzs bad when you plane it so you need a very sharp planer to do a good job.  It is a useful general purpose lumber but I think it a poor lumber for use in furniture.   We used it a lot for framing,  sheathing and siding but it must be painted or it will not last if used for siding.  I certainly would saw it if I had it but I would not be buying Cottonwood logs. The pallet makers liked it because it was easy to cut. In Ohio it was very fast growing and could exceed 6 foot in diameter though it was not normally that big

mad murdock

Quote from: mart on October 02, 2013, 11:56:01 AM

As far as the state allotment on lumber, I'll have to look into that. I've not heard of it but will check into it.

Next time you are in town, go to the nearest state forestry office and ask, or you can go on their website and see if they have information there about it. The yearly allowance was 25,000 board feet of timber per year, they would tell you where you could go to get it, i.e. they had marked areas, it was up to the person wanting to claim their allowance to cut, skid, load and haul however they chose to do it.  State forestry just told you where it was ok to go. I think there may have been a small administrative fee attached to cover their end of having a forester mark cut areas, and cover the paperwork end of it, kind of like getting a firewood permit from the USFS.  Maybe I am all wrong on this, but we were in the FBNS Borough, and I am sure that the state forestry (DNR) office had an annual timber allowance in the interior region forestry, for anyone who chose to take advantage of said allotment.  Maybe it is something that the State has gone away from.  This was 20 yeras ago. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mart

Quote from: Barney II on October 02, 2013, 02:41:03 PM
Hi Mart---2 years ago spent some helping a friend from Wasilla--Alex Conners --build a cabin down by Sterling.   I worked with contractor , a Larry Peet from Wasilla we sure a great time.   We even spent some time looking for gold with our metal detectors.  I often wondered how many mills there were in that area.  We did buy some materials from a mill by Solnotna. Anyway has a good time---You live in  a great state.     Don     

Small world. Larry Peet is the other guy in my sawing pictures and my best friend. I am familiar with that cabin in Sterling. I've helped Larry a time or two with it.

DRB, I was planning on using the cottonwood for secondary lumber such as drawer sides and such. I have seen one set of kitchen cabinets in cottonwood. They were really quite  attractive. Seen quite a bit of it used as paneling. It makes good fur forms, easy to get a push pin into.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!