iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

painting pressure treated

Started by bama20a, November 14, 2015, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Hope this is the right place to post, But can you paint pressure treated wood? It would just be for looks.Seems like I remember somewhere it said not to paint it.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

wildbill

i have but only after its sat out and dried out some.  seems to hold up just fine.  some of my raised bed garden boxes are PT and painted.
Raider Bill's favorite son

bama20a

Magicman

It can be used and painted successfully for fascia, etc but as mentioned, let it dry for 6 months.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bama20a

Are you talking about let the paint dry for 6 mo's?

beenthere

Get the wood dry, before painting ...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

limbwood

I built a big deck years ago and put a dark brown stain on it, all the knots peeled off, they said you have to let it age for a year or wipe knots with denatured alcohol to dry them out . Did that and everything worked good. Good luck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Depending on what you are using the treated lumber for, I try to paint only 1 side. Treated lumber needs to breath.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on November 14, 2015, 10:08:08 PM
Get the wood dry, before painting ...
Yup, we put it up and let it dry probably 6 months before priming and painting.  All of the fascia on the Cabin is pressure treated SYP.  I stickered it in the barn for months before using a solid base stain and then nailing it up.  The fascia on the original Cabin is 19 years old and has not peeled.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Good info. I used PT lumber on the bases of my shooting houses. They've been up a couple of years so if after this season if I get overly ambitious and decide to paint them camouflage sounds like they should be fine.

(But if I camouflage them can I still find them?)

The next one I build I'll use black locust in place of PT.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Better to use stain rather than paint.. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

We have a 30 yr old PT deck and railing that I paint every 5 yr or so. Well I use a Cabot "solid color decking stain" but it looks like paint to me.  Before repainting there is some scraping but mostly I coarse sand it first.  Don't think there's anything about the PT chemicals that make it any different with respect to refinishing. They're not volatile.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!