iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do any other small time guys enjoy felling big trees?

Started by hackberry jake, January 28, 2013, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

When I lie awake at night I think of that next big one!

I always have enjoyed knocking them suckers down. When I cut firewood, I cut up all of the trees that I've already knocked down, then the next day I'll have a "fun" day. On a "fun" day I knock down as many trees as I want, and grin every minute of it ;D. Big ones are always fun, but my 20" bar kinda does scare me out of enjoying a big tree sometimes.

I've never thought of tree-felling as work. It's pure excitement and fun. Being a logger is just cookies and candy, isn't it?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Ken

Falling big trees along a strip face is always fun but I always really liked and considered it a challenge to get the big ones to fall where you wanted when doing a partial cut. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ed_K

Adrenalin rush-Excitment-Weak knees  :o ;D 8).I don't see them fall as I taught myself yrs ago to get away,i stand behind a Bigger one if possible.I worry too much on getting them down without blowing them apart and lose $$$.
When cutting uphill make sure to have a high back cut,they can go a long way down hill fast.
Ed K

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jake & Thurlow She was big n tall but also bloody uguly with alot of limbs   ;) :D ;D River Redgum busted up the butt logs with My husky 3120 and 4' bar into rough cants and put them through the little mill I had at the time  :) Did i tell you i love havin a Lucas now days they make life easy on the big stuff  ;) ;D 

5-6-7-8-9+ foot dia are bloody big logs any way you look at them  :) :) :) :) :)

Shortlogger i dont like big limbs either but you cut what you gotta cut hey mate  :) :D ;D ;D

Ken I love directional falling too  ;D ;D 8) 8) Dad taught Me well and that all i should need was a good pair of wedges but bloody hell i was rusty yesterday after 12 months with out dropping bugger all & had one sit up that i was trying to force in the direction i wanted Ahh beep but the tree behind was heading that way next so it was a Quick Fix  ;) :D  ;D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

cutter88

:) yep the best part of the job, my favorite is droppen large red oak!
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

JuniperBoss

Them tall, but large diameter trees with small limbs are the best. I hate crawling around under a gangly, limby, cramped tree trying to get it down. I like my work space clear, just like an accountant likes his desk clean.

Ianab

Sure beats the short fat cypress trees we often get. Flat topped things with heavy branches up there. You drop them just right, but are left with a 3 or 4 ft dia log, 30ft long, that's still sitting 6 ft off the ground  :-\ Spend the rest of the afternoon carefully dissembling the mess of limbs without dropping the whole mess on yourself.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JuniperBoss

thats terrible. How do you make any money doing that?

I've got a big juniper tree down right now that I'm avoiding because I'm too scarred to limb it. The log is held up by huge limbs and is 7 feet off the ground. No fun :(.

Corley5

I don't like chainsaw work so much anymore no matter how big or small the trees are  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thenorthman

just dumped a load of Fir this morning, most around 32" at the stump and very tall, and yes it was still a Hel of allot of fun, very noisy, making the ground shake with thunder kind of fun :laugh:
well that didn't work

JuniperBoss

Mistake: Take your ear muffs off without plugging your ears while watching a massive limby tree hit the ground. Takes some of the fun out when your ears are hurting.

treefarmer87

i like cutting the big poplars, and red and white oaks we have here. 3 trees will over load my truck :) 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ianab

Quotethats terrible. How do you make any money doing that?

Well I don't  :D

But seriously, a tree like that might be a couple of thousand dollars of sawn wood if it's nice and clear. Means spending a whole weekend processing one tree is still practical.

Aerial limbing..

But a log like this is worth messing about to get.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JuniperBoss

I never thought you would get a couple thousand for one tree! Sounds like it's worth it to me then. Still, it's a bear to get those limbs off ::).

Dave VH

I get a rush anytime I drop a tree, especially one that can shake the ground.  I just love looking at all of the posibilities that that tree represents.  It is at that point that it goes from growing up to serving the public in a different fashion
I cut it twice and it's still too short

JuniperBoss

I think it's pretty cool when I drop a tree, go home, and here someone say "I heard a tree go down". The woodlot is over a mile from home.

John Mc

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 01, 2013, 01:30:33 PM
An 8' diameter log?... I would have to split that dude 6 times to get the pieces out of the woods and onto my mill... I would also have to borrow a bigger chainsaw. And buy a big bottle of aspirin.

And make a couple of chiropractor appointments for later in the week.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

captain_crunch

My old boss with a couple ground shakers

My Daughter Kristen amoung some big boys
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

5quarter

CC...those are some big branches your old boss is holding up. a shame no one got a picture of the trunk... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!