iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL 064 troubles

Started by Cub, July 22, 2018, 11:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cub

Hi, I recently bought a used burned up 064. I bought piston and cylinder. Put new oil seals in. Put it all together and ran it for a few minutes just to adjust the carb. Then I didn't use it for a few months. The other day it was pretty warm and humid when I went to cut. Took it to the woods with me. Cut down a 30 inch on the stump beech tree. Bucked 2 logs and it died. Wouldn't restart. Grabbed a different saw and finished. Cut down a few others and went back an hour later and it started again. Cool I thought. Used it for 15 minutes and died and no start again. So anybody have any ideas what it could be?

HolmenTree

Sounds like your ignition module is breaking down.
Easy fix but first we need pictures and more information about your 064. Most importantly the serial number .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Cub

Thanks. I figure that's what the problem is also. I'll try to get a few pictures tonight and post them with a serial number

ladylake

First pull the muff and look at the piston.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cub

Ladylake what am I looking for when I do that? Cylinder and piston are brand new. 

Ianab

Quote from: Cub on July 23, 2018, 10:53:37 PM
Ladylake what am I looking for when I do that? Cylinder and piston are brand new.
Make sure they still look brand new. Hopefully they are, but you should double check. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

There was a reason it was burned up. Could of been an air leak in it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

If the saw is lean for any reason it only takes 1 cut to burn up a piston and cylinder.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cub

I will look into that. Hopefully tonight I will have time to look. Thanks guys. 

Gary Davis

make sure it was put in in the right direction the arrow on the piston is to point to the front or back don't remember which 

Cub

Piston and cylinder look brand new  serial number 112553003. Best I can tell on the number anyways

Cub

Piston was put in correctly. I double triple quadruple checked which way to put it in when I did it. This is the 4th saw I've rebuilt. The rest all run great. New intake boot new impulse line new fuel line and filter when I rebuilt it. 

HolmenTree

Looking good Cub . Looks like you have a early dog leg coil. Let me go into my notes and I'll get right back.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cub on July 24, 2018, 10:43:55 PM

Piston and cylinder look brand new  serial number 112553003. Best I can tell on the number anyways
Cub, 
Ok you have a 1122 400 1311 three hole dog leg ignition module on your early 064. These modules had a high rate of failure.
Find a universal mount Iida #0000 400 1300 these unlimited modules were pretty well standard on most Stihls from 034 up after 1984. Probably won't find a new OEM one but lots of good new aftermarket available. Or find a used one that works.
Don't worry the 2 screw hole 1300 will bolt up fine , just make sure you have .010 gap between the flywheel magnet area.

Oh  BTW before you get into the module, check the fuel tank vent. Could be plugged and fuel flow is shutting down after a short run in the wood .Loosen the fuel cap when she starts to die.

Cub

Thank you guys all for your help and ideas. Sounds like the coil is the issue to me. I'll try to find something when I get a chance and keep you posted. Any suggestions as to where to get an aftermarket one? I don't want to get a cheapo and it die on me again. Thank you 

HolmenTree

Just google it now that I found you the part # ::)

ZeroJunk

There's a zillion 400-1300's on eBay.

Cub

Found an oem coil on eBay. 100 bucks. Should be here by Friday. Dealer wanted 149 bucks. 

Cub

Ok. Update. Got the 0000-400-1300 coil. When I went to install only 1 bolt hole lined up with the case? I can't possibly run it this way. Wouldn't after time vibration move the coil around and possibly change the gap or collide with the flywheel? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 

Mad Professor

The universal coil won't fit the most early 064s with dogleg coil, besides the dogleg bosch coil they also made some bosch coils with two mounting holes that line up with the upper two mounts on your case, I have one of those.  The bosch coils are NLA.

There were some early 064 cases made that had a 4th mounting hole that would line up with the more common coils, but came with the bosch coil(s).

There are two options I know of : 1) make an adapter to use the common coil.  I've seen a few versions of these. Use the top mount and make an adapter for the middle one. 2) Find a dogleg coil from a 046, they supposedly bolt up and run fine, but are hard to find

Mad Professor

Here is an example of an adapter, courtesy of Chris from Australia.

Cub

Awesome. Thank you for the picture. I will have to make something up soon as I get a chance. 

Mad Professor

Chainsaw forum at Arboristsite has lots of stuff on the early 064/bosch coils.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cub on August 08, 2018, 11:07:14 AM
Ok. Update. Got the 0000-400-1300 coil. When I went to install only 1 bolt hole lined up with the case? I can't possibly run it this way. Wouldn't after time vibration move the coil around and possibly change the gap or collide with the flywheel? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sorry there buddy.
I should have cross referenced your 064's serial# 112553003 for age ( but you weren't that certain the # was right).
I took for granted your 1122 400 1311 coil on your 064 was original making it a newer 064 to accept the 0000 400 1300 coil I suggested.

If your 064's serial # is correct you have a early first year 1986 064.
I have two 1st year 1986 064s and their #'s are newer then yours.
116468370 and 117584561.
That 1122 400 1311 dogleg Lida coil on your 064 was first installed on 064/066 in 1994 starting with serial# 131067164.

I never did it myself but some reports say the 0000 400 1300 coil you just bought will fit with 2 screws if you flip it upside down and put about a 3 inch longer spark plug cable on it.
Or do the adapter modification Mad Professor showed you.
I got a 0000 400 1300 on my 1991 066 Mag that bolts up just fine and is over 26 years old and still works great. Same with my 064 coil.

Here's my 1986 064 with 2 screw dogleg  Bosch 1122 400 1300 coil that your 064 should be running.

Cub

Mad professor, I read a lot over there about all the coils n flywheel combos. Lots of info. Thank you for the info. 
Holmentree, no worries buddy. You were right I wasn't 100% sure that was the serial number. I tried flipping the coil upside down. It just about fits that way but not quite. So your saying the 1122-400-1300 is what my saw should have? Because I found 1 of those too. Thank you guys for all your help. Lots of knowledge 

Thank You Sponsors!