iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got My Home Depot Makita 6401

Started by dmartin, November 25, 2009, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmartin

I bought a used Makita 6401 rental saw from Home Depot yesterday. I had never thought about buying a Dolmar/Makita saw until I read about them here on the Forestry Forum. I have a 25 year old Huskey and a Stihl MS250 that is a little under powered so I got a Dolmar 5100S this summer based on what I had read about them on this forum. The Dolmar is a great saw, thanks for the good information.
I needed a bigger saw but didn't want to spend the money for a new one because I won't use the bigger saw that often. So after reading about the Home Depot rental saws I found one for sale near my house and picked it up yesterday. I just disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it, and checked out the rest of the saw.The clamp for the rubber boot from the carb to the cylinder was missing a nut and a bushing for the brake handle was missing but other than that the saw seems to be in good condition. There is a 20" bar on it that is straight and has a good chain that looks almost new.
I ordered a 24" bar and 2 chains along with the 85 CC top end from Bailey's and will install the bigger top end as soon as it arrives. I am assuming that the stock carb will be large enough to handle the additional fuel flow that will be needed with just an adjustment to the high speed needle valve. I hope someone here can confirm that an adjustment is all that is needed or if not point me in the right direction for a new carb or jets if needed. Thanks again for the good information.

stonebroke

If you don't mind me asking, how much do rental saws from Home Depot go for.

Stonebroke

dmartin

joe_indi

I dont think that a lean carb is going to be the issue.
The more cc's of the 85cc head is going to draw a larger volume of air through the carb.
If I guess right the higher air velocity will cause more fuel to be drawn into the air stream.
You might have to set the carb to a leaner setting because of this.
It might be advisable to open up the muffler a bit to ease the restriction of the exhaust gases. This would help the engine to run much cooler.

Joe

Ianab

I think all that series of Dolmars use the same carb. So it's OK on the stock 79cc saws, another 5cc with the big bore kit shouldn't cause any problems, just need to retune it once you get it running.

For $181 it's a good deal on a decent saw. With the big bore kit it's an excellent saw  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

Great project, keep us posted.

Captain

bandmiller2

Most of my big saws have come from tree services many of those guys don't repair they just buy new and throw the old ones under the bench for"parts"a case of beer will buy alot of saw.Also try fixing one for one,now with common after market parts their fairly cheap to repair,usally theirs something simple wrong. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dmartin

Joe, you are probably right that makes sense to me. Ianab thanks for confirming that the stock carb will work. I guess I'll just install the top end, tune the carb and go cut some wood.
Have a good Thanksgiving.

Thank You Sponsors!