iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

american #2 mill

Started by henryj, February 06, 2011, 09:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henryj

I am new to this forum as of this evening.
I have operated a american mill for the past 35 years with a lot of success and minor problems thru the years.
A few weeks ago my carraige drive  system (belt contol drive) pinion gear that runs the cable system broke in half!!
My question is does anyone have one laying around or will I have to machine a new one. it's 4 1/2" wide and about 3"thick?
any ideas or locations would be a great help. Thanks Henry J

tyb525

Welcome to the forum Henry J, I can't help you but I know for a fact there is at least one person around here than can, just give them a moment to get here :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sgschwend

Welcome to the forum.

Would it be possible to repair the gear you have?  Braze it back together.  At least have it for a backup.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

Welcome Henry,you must be talking about the pinion gear that meshes with the big gear on the cable drum.Give us a good description,  the pinion shaft bore,no. of teeth est. as those old cast gears are quite genaric.As Steve says the quick and dirty would be to braze or ni-rod weld the gear.If you have a local foundry they could use your old gear for a patton,but then you'd have to bore the shaft hole.Best thing I can say now is give us the gear specs someone here must have one, probibly under 2' of snow now.Where are you located?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

henryj

I have some added information for this gear.
shaft size is 1.5" with a  3/8" keyway there are 14 teeth  total dia. 4.5" and 3" thick.
it is the pinion gear that drives the larger bull gear that turns the drum under the carraige for the cable system.
The gear was welded many years ago before I had the mill and I tryed it again but without success.
Thanks for the feedbacks Henry J

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Autocar

Henry I would take it to a weld shop and let them clean it up good and rebraze it. Number two idea take it to a tool and die place and see what they would charge. My dad was a tool man he keep me in business making parts for me. I had a American mill that layed around here forever and a junk man showed up one day and I let him have it to clean tha area up a little. I had to come to the house I couldn't watch him bust it up. I'll check down the shop in the morning and see what I have laying around. Good luck Bill
Bill

pineywoods

Google "boston gear works". good chance that's where the original came from...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Autocar

Henry I looked while I thought this gear was laying but couldn't find it this morning, why dosen't that surprise me !  :D Iam not sure how many teeth this one had , if I run across it I will get back at you. Bill
Bill

woodpeckerlips

Henry,
I'm pretty sure I have an old American mill piled up in my power line. It came with a bunch of other sawmill items I bought at a estate auction.  I was after the frick 00 and power unit that was there.   The other mill that I put out in the power line is complete but in pieces. I'm pretty sure its a american.  I haven't scraped it because I knew sooner or later somebody would need something off it. Besides, it don't eat much.   Send me a message. I'll give you my phone # and figure out what gear you need.  I can take a picture with my phone and email it to you or something.

henryj

Hi woodpeckerlips
I have no idea how to send directly to you maybe some one can clue me in on how . I see your profile has no email.
henryj

beenthere

henryj
Click on his name and his profile will have a place to click and send him a private message (PM).

Welcome.
Do you have a HenryJ ? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodpeckerlips

Henryj
I tried to send you a message back. I am electronically retarded. I use my blackberry for work and checking out the forum.  I don't have E:mail at the house. If you didn't get my response I tried to send you back. Send me your # and we'll see if I have what your looking for. If I do, it's yours!

henryj

Hi beenthere
Thanks for the tip on the PM. it worked just fine.
to answer the Henry J car issue, no  but I do have Hupmobiles, 36 Diamond T, 36 Ford pickup,47 lincoln, 42 Cadillac,etc
The Henry J has never been around when when I wanted one.
Henry J

Don_Papenburg

What Diamond T ?  I have four ,two 201s one 306 ND A 509SC . All are 49except the 306 its a 48
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

henryj

Thank You Sponsors!