iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulling the trigger on a new processor this week.

Started by labradorguy, September 28, 2017, 08:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

I've had a couple false starts, but finally got everything to line up and it's a done deal. The way the economics worked out, I decided to go with the whole enchilada.

Bell's 4000. 66hp Cat/44" Simonds. Extended infeed and extra leg deck for longer logs

The option to go with a cab is still on the table, but as of right now, I just can't justify it..... If anyone has thoughts on it, please share.

Also got a:
32' conveyor with a grizzly
loading hopper for conveyor
tumbler and an outfeed conveyor

20hp Honda to run it all standalone

I'll be eating a lot of spaghetti and day old bread this coming year....

While all of this is getting squared away, I'm working on my delivery trailers and fixing them up a bit. My dump trailer really needs some new sides.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

labradorguy

I don't recall ever posting any, but I promise I will do my best to figure out how it works on here. :)

jmur1

Congratulations - very impressive machines.  I second it - lots of pics!
Easy does it

hedgerow

Labradorguy
Looks like you are going all in. Hope all goes well. Please post lots of pictures.

OH logger

as far as a cab goes...for me I would like to have one cause I log full time and I mainly process wood when its rain or windy or... but that's just me. now what made you decide to go with bells?? just curious. don't know much about them but always wantin to learn. I heard they are a breakaway company from cord king. is that right?
john

labradorguy

Just thought they were the most bang for the buck and I liked the joystick controls.

CK looks nice but pretty paint doesn't mean they are the best. Bells is built heavier with better welds and that means a lot to me since this type of equipment is prone to stress fractures and such. Multitek is ridiculously overpriced for what you get and their sales guy is a bit of a tool too. Decided right away that paying 40%+ more was not worth it. I just did not see how they could justify their prices. CRD getting caught cheating at the Shootout and some of the other comments guys on here have made about them eliminated that outfit from consideration. Those were the only ones I checked out.

Don't believe they are a breakaway but I may be wrong. I never asked. May be something to that since they are next to each other. I just figured Bells thought they could build a better machine so got into the market. IDK

Cab would be nice at times, but another 5k on top of this bill is more than I wanted to go. I still like hopping on and off quickly too. I'm the only guy around that rakes and bales hay with an open station tractor too, so take it with a grain of salt.

OH logger

looks like an awesome machine!! I hope they are at the bunyan show this weekend and i'll have to check them out!!

john

OH logger

I looked at the bells today at the bunyan show. they look like a well built, heavy well thought out processor. the owner was there and went over the machine with me and he was very helpful and not pushy at all. seemed very genuine and straight forward. ive always had my eyes on a  cord king and if comparing apples to apples I think the bells is ahead...at this point for me anyways. they are all expensive, they all have plusses and minuses so for  me it all boils down to value and customer service. they will ALL break but its whoever helps you out the most when they do is what counts.  I didn't talk to cord king today but in years past they have seemed so pushy. I like the idea of the cord kings lifetime warranty on the splitting chamber...if the warrenty is worth the paper its wrote on that is. anyone else lookin today??
john

labradorguy

I've heard that lifetime warranty is a tough one to get anything out of...

drobertson

I met this good folks a few years back at the Paul Bunyan show, genuinely nice folks, and a very impressive processor as well, they had the cab on the one in the shoot out. It would be very tempting to get this option, could howling days are brutal, it had a heater too!   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

labradorguy

I decided to go with the cab. It was not high on my list, but eventually, my boys will be running it and I like the added protection for them. I suppose a person would not have to eat so much sawdust on the windy days too....

hedgerow

Quote from: labradorguy on October 08, 2017, 10:55:27 AM
I decided to go with the cab. It was not high on my list, but eventually, my boys will be running it and I like the added protection for them. I suppose a person would not have to eat so much sawdust on the windy days too....
I know that another 5 grand isn't chump change but I think in the long run you will enjoy the cab. As I get older the dust bothers me and any big job any more I  use the tractor with the cab AC and heat. I went to skid loaders years ago with heat and AC and the first one was a big hit to make the jump but when I sold that one the new owner was looking for the AC,heat and the enclosed cab and it sold for top dollar because of  the cab.

labradorguy

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.... 5k now, but I will get some of that back on the other end. They build a solid cab and peace of mind while my boys are running it is worth something too.

Counting the days till she gets here. :)

shamusturbo

I eat, sleep, and breathe firewood. I will admit I am obsessed. Bell's will be our next machine when the time is right. We are on our second CRD machine now. Everything on the Bell's machine is very well thought out. I am 28 and would probably go without the cab for the next few years. I like hoping off and on, keeping the machine moving.

I do believe Bell's is a "breakaway competitor" of Cord King. An employee of CK thought they could do it better. I would agree with earlier comments that Bell's are very very professional (and highly educated from the people I've talked to over the years).

Labradorguy :where are you located? Very excited for you! Would love to see other pictures of your operation. 
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

OH logger

Quote from: shamusturbo on October 08, 2017, 05:11:38 PM
I eat, sleep, and breathe firewood. I will admit I am obsessed. Bell's will be our next machine when the time is right. We are on our second CRD machine now. Everything on the Bell's machine is very well thought out. I am 28 and would probably go without the cab for the next few years. I like hoping off and on, keeping the machine moving.

I do believe Bell's is a "breakaway competitor" of Cord King. An employee of CK thought they could do it better. I would agree with earlier comments that Bell's are very very professional (and highly educated from the people I've talked to over the years).

Labradorguy :where are you located? Very excited for you! Would love to see other pictures of your operation.

I am the same way (obsessed with firewood). as weird as it sounds to say it is basically a hobby of mine.  ok enough beating around the bush.  here it is...my name is john and I'm a firewood aholic  ;D. but in aall honesty I will say that I am VERY impressed with bells machines after lookin at them first hand. that's what I love about the bunyan show. its the only place within driving distance from here that I can look at all the machines first hand and look at therir layouts. the bells seem very beefy. I also took a new approach when talking with the owner of bells. I asked him to tell me what makes his machines better than all the rest. I didn't say that to be pricky but I wanted him to tell me and I think he stepped right up to it and appreciated me bein upfront with him. it was funny and I'm not bragging but when we were about done talkin he asked how many cord per year I do and when I told him he looked surprised and got me 2 hats out of his truck. one for me and one for my son. seems like a stand up guy and stand up company (and no I'm not sayin that because he gave me 2 hats  :D)
john

1270d

We bought a 4000 bells this spring.   Ordered it with the attached conveyor, circle saw and no cab.   I wish we hadn't bothered with the attached conveyor and went with a stand-alone.   Just because of the way it tows and it's kind of short for piling. 

It is a nice machine for sure.  Best part is, I haven't had to sharpen one single chain!

labradorguy

That's the thing right there. I looked at a lot of bar models. No thank you. I sharpen enough chains as it is.

I decided to go with the 32' and hopper so I can tumble and load from a pile independently from the processor.

How much firewood does a person need to do to get a hat??  lol

Not having any cab regrets yet. I think the benefits will outweigh the cost in the long run. Cab or no cab was my toughest decision.

OH logger

Quote from: 1270d on October 09, 2017, 09:22:24 PM
We bought a 4000 bells this spring.   Ordered it with the attached conveyor, circle saw and no cab.   I wish we hadn't bothered with the attached conveyor and went with a stand-alone.   Just because of the way it tows and it's kind of short for piling. 

It is a nice machine for sure.  Best part is, I haven't had to sharpen one single chain!

how many FULL cords have you run through it at this point??
john

labradorguy

1270d

Quote from: OH logger on October 11, 2017, 07:14:31 AM
Quote from: 1270d on October 09, 2017, 09:22:24 PM

how many FULL cords have you run through it at this point??

Haven't done much with it yet.   About 50 full cord so far.   

Randy88

Cabs are a must and over time I doubt you'll regret adding it from the start.       

labradorguy

I have come around to agree with that. There is the safety factor to consider. And when you think about being out of the wind, rain, blowing sawdust.... It will be money well spent.

BargeMonkey

I recently bought a 6000 bells, originally we where going to have one modified and built without a cab, wouldn't want to be around it without the cab. Brent is real decent, I've had some questions and called up and everyone has been great. Watch the proximity switch pieces on the splitter, they loosen up and keep a small screwdriver handy in case you double click the splitter and she stays ran out. I've got the grizzly on the 32" and it gets out quite a bit of bark and fines. 

The Simonds tool is 140 ? And teeth are 8 bucks each, I've heard guys claim ridiculous amounts of time on teeth, I'm running fairly clean wood and changed a few at 275hrs.

OH logger

I talked to the owner of bells (Brent?) at the bunyan show this fall and he seemed like a great guy. I asked him why his machines were the best. he answered in great detail and was real informative. I am sold on his machines now I just need to come up with the cash...  ;D  all machines are good and bad. it really all comes down to customer service and it SEEMS like a good company. blockbuster is a great company too but I'm not sure how rugged their machines are?
john

Thank You Sponsors!