iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porkupine Damage

Started by gspren, April 03, 2016, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on April 11, 2016, 07:21:41 AM
Quote from: Chuck White on April 11, 2016, 07:14:57 AM
Yes, the Fisher is a good tool for controlling the Porcupine population.

I believe they are the only animal that can successfully take out and devour a porcupine!

i have never seen a fisher or porcupine  ???  are fishers bullet proof or have some kind of armor   ??? :o :D :D :D

A Fisher is sort of like a smaller version of the Wolverine!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

My poor trees !!

I would be less upset if they didn't used to supply shade .

Kind of hard to see but there are many chewed off branches.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on April 11, 2016, 07:14:57 AM
Yes, the Fisher is a good tool for controlling the Porcupine population.

I believe they are the only animal that can successfully take out and devour a porcupine!

Fisher cats were introduced in Franklin County VT to control the porcupine population and what I heard is that they will but it is the last thing they go for.  So other critters are in peril.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sprucebunny

How high do you think a porky can reach ???

I have 3 foot lengths of ductwork bungy corded to the trees and unless these things can grab onto metal they must be able to jump  ::)  :D

Tomorrow, I'm cutting some 5 foot lengths of metal roofing to wrap around the trees.
I'm also amazed that only 12 days after the demise of one porky, another has started attacking the trees. Several examples I can see from my porch have been nibbled naked. Lots of dead hemlock from last year.

Sometimes I wonder how any trees survive considering the onslaught of mice and moose and porkupines.

rooster 58

Sprucebunny,
     There's a fair chance that the porkies will chew the aluminum. Here in the ANF, they love to chew on the forest service road marker signs.
   One morning while turkey hunting,  I was walking into my spot in the dark. As I approached a gate, I began to hear scratching  sounds. The closer to the gate I got, the louder the noise. When I was pretty  close, I turned a small flashlight on. There were two porkies nibbling away at the sign

sprucebunny

The ductwork and roofing are all galvanized steel.
I don't care if they chew it as long as they leave the poor trees alone !!!!!!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on April 11, 2016, 10:01:01 AM
Just reading this makes me not like the porky's, damage sounds horrible,, our only really bad pain to deal with are armadillos, they root up were rooting up is not needed,  heard they eat good,(tenderloins) but pretty sure I won't go there, oh yea, these critters have targets on them too,,
I ate some armadillo at a wildlife supper when I was a student at Auburn an eternity ago. It was very good. Reminded me of good lean roast pork. I think the cook par boiled it then cooked it on the BBQ grill. (Now they warn that those hard shelled possums carry leprosy and to avoid or take care when cleaning them.) I'd bet porcupine is even better - I know he is bigger and more meat there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rooster 58

Last Friday after work, I decided to do a little fishing.  My home Creek had just been stocked and I was looking forward to  wetting a line.  I let my dogs out and began to get ready.  I had just put my long John bottoms on and was about to go to the porch for my waders when my 10 month old German  Shorthair burst through the door with a porcupine quill mustache.
    He didn't get it real bad though. He only had15-20 quills in his snout, with two inside his mouth. Unfortunately,  two quills broke off at the skin surface and are still there.  They don't bother him and are not infected.

gspren

I was back to the cabin this week and the porkies haven't chewed through the new steel siding  ;D we had set a few small scraps of T1-11 out and they had worked on them. The scrap T1-11 is now in the fire pit and we are going up Thursday, the scraps will get burnt and I hope we are done with the porkies.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coxy

Quote from: gspren on May 07, 2016, 09:44:06 PM
   I was back to the cabin this week and the porkies haven't chewed through the new steel siding  ;D we had set a few small scraps of T1-11 out and they had worked on them. The scrap T1-11 is now in the fire pit and we are going up Thursday, the scraps will get burnt and I hope we are done with the porkies.
:D :D not a chance   they will be back

Chuck White

In this area, lots of us will go out in the woods and look for porcupine trails in the snow and track them to their den, then get rid of them.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Not as common in the ADKs as when I was a boy.
No damage at my camp there and havent seen one in quite a few years.
Once saw a picture I think in the NY Conservationist of an old vehicle with a Ford flathead with aluinum heads that were pretty well chewed up.
My last pooch had to be put down after his second encounter with one.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kderby

Quote from: rooster 58 on April 10, 2016, 08:33:01 AM
Porcupines are very destructive, as already mentioned.  They like the "salts" in T-111. They also like to chew on wood with urine splash. A couple years ago, I had my tractor on a logging tract to load unwanted blocks and logs onto my dump trailer for firewood.  One night, a pokie chewed my steering wheel. Thankfully,  they left my hydraulic  hoses alone. Anything you touch with your hands or sweat is at risk. Loggers hate porkies. They also love to chew on aluminum signs, such as used to identify  forest service roads and the like.
   I don't believe  they will bother the redwood siding on the cabin. Redwood seems to resist insects and other bothersome pests

The Rooster has it!  The Urea Formaldehyde glue is salty/mineral so they are after that.  I wonder if the new plywood glues without formaldehyde are still an attraction? 

gspren

Went back to the cabin this weekend and while the two sheds we put the steel siding on were fine we had a section of the redwood siding broke by a bear  >:(. The critters didn't mess with the cabin for 50+ years but now they want us gone.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ron Scott

On the prowl. The late night marauder.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Raiding the Apple Tree. Caught in the act.

~Ron

Chuck White

In this area, it's not uncommon for people to shoot porcupines, racoons & coyotes on site, throughout the year, season or not!

Mostly just because of the damage they can cause!

Just sayin'! ::)

thecfarm

I would never shoot a porcupine out of season. Now use a pitch fork to kill one,I just did that a few days ago,I would. :)
As I was looking for the wife's dog to come running to me as I was stabbing it. :o  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hacknchop

You think the porcupines are hard on trees you should see what I can do to a bunch of trees.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!