iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Comment on that video. Going to using paddles made from heavy belting instead of wood extends the life of the chain big time.  With wood or metal paddles, there is no wiggle room for when the inevitable stick or chunk of debri gets in there. The belted paddles will push past where the ridigid paddles wil pin bind and break.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

I bet car tire chunks would work good.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 07, 2018, 08:29:47 AM
I bet car tire chunks would work good.
I have seen car tires used, but the chain was much heavier than that farm chain in the video. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Good day today... I got 16 sharp blades that will fit my mill. I'm not sure if they are new or not. They was coiled up and they are very sharp. I can't tell if they was used. But I'm happy. I'll run them till they break.
I got a cheap 12.000lb winch (Badlands) The only thing I found wrong with it is that's it's missing the release handle. I guess I can build one because I can't find anywhere that sell parts for them.I guess it's a Harbor freight special. I got 3 more cans of nails. This has been a special year for nails. I got two more spoke wheels for my bench projects. I got a nice Honda engine. 

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

The blades look real good... Going back tomorrow to see if I can find more.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Kbeitz, how will you clean the rust off of those blades, or will you just run them and let the wood clean them up?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on March 08, 2018, 04:59:32 PM
Kbeitz, how will you clean the rust off of those blades, or will you just run them and let the wood clean them up?

Pictures sure make them look bad. The rust almost wipes off with my fingers. I'll just run them.
I wish I would have looked a little harder. I bet they loaded the trucks today and the rest will be gone.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

terrifictimbersllc

Cant get over how much stuff comes to your junkyard and that they let you look through it.  

How much area does it serve, your county, several counties, half the state? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

rjwoelk

I just picked up a newholand manure spreader. The old style chain is not used on their equipment. This is what is used now. Very easy to replace a link.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Banjo picker

There is a scrap metal place locally, but all you can do is look through the fence.  They won't let you look around.  The only thing I have been able to get from them was a piece of metal I saw and went to the office and asked about.  He said come back tomorrow and one of the guys will get it out for you.  I figured .... yea I bet they will, but they had it layed out for me. I paid a good price for what they were fixing to cut up but it worked for me.  It was the metal I put on the back of my logging winch.  It was something they got from one of the local metal fab. shops.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sandhills

We have 2 major manufacturing companies in the area that used to let all the "scrap" go to employees, now both I think have to haul it straight to recycling ::).  It's enough to make a grown man cry to see what gets thrown away from just those 2.  My last score (years ago) was a bunch of 6"x1/2"x 4' flat iron, cut offs from something, I'm down to my last piece :'(.   

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 09, 2018, 09:13:47 AM
Cant get over how much stuff comes to your junkyard and that they let you look through it.  

How much area does it serve, your county, several counties, half the state?
Within a 50 mile radius we have around 25 junkyards or more.
I only take a very small amount of very good stuff. You should see the stuff I don't take.
It's like when I bring home electrical stuff. I take a hand full of thing out of 55 gal drums of stuff.
I could never bring it all home.

Junkyards near Millville, PA 17846
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I use to haul alot of metal home from my past job. Sometimes I would find a real nice piece and try to get a slip for it,but than be told,I can't let you have that. So I stopped digging out the real nice stuff. ::)  Some of the guys thought I was odd taking all that stuff home.City people,what do they know. I have probably ten 5 gallons buckets of nuts,bolts and washers I brought home. Maybe only a coffee can at a time,but it added up. I have them almost all sorted by sizes.  Got tired of spending 15 minutes looking for bolts,nuts and washers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

We have only one place that buys junk metals (CHEAP), they also sell new metal at fair prices for here, will order anything you need too.

Anyway a couple of years I was in there and their price list of what they paid was on display, leas was something like 12 cents a pound. I was needing some lead and ask if they would sell any, the person waiting on me at first said sure, but when he ask a manager what the price would be, he said they couldn't sell any to me.

At the time I thought he just didn't want to let me know what the going price was since they were only paying 12 cents, but I know a little about the business, and they are generally under contract to supply so many pounds to their buyers to get the best price, and they may no have had any excess.
This year I was in there getting a weight slip for a load of logs, and in the floor was a box full of nice lead ingots, that had been cast in lyman molds, which I took home with me. I paid the going rate, but it was nice clean lead  
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

I got ten more band blades today. I would have been 11 but I got mad and put one back in the junk pile. I always thought I was good at coiling up band blades. Today I needed to coil up about half of what i found. One band blade I could not coil up for the life of me. I bet I spent 20 minutes trying to coil that one band blade. I could not do it....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

But it is possible for a blade to be kinked in such a way the it will not coil.  There is one documented somewhere here on the FF.  (I'll try to find it.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I had one once that I could coil but it absolutely would not stay coiled. Have you ever noticed that after coiling a band that your hands are not positioned properly for uncoiling.  I thought about stepping on it or holding it between my knees but it was the hot summertime and I wasn't wearing boots and carharts, but shorts and barefoot. I was only setting the bands, no need for all that PPE right? Wrong! The only thing to do was to throw the thing and hope it got far enough away before it opened up and got me. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

What got me was I coiled 5 blades before this one. It was the last one. I tried many times and it went back to the junk pile. Thinking back I think it was the next to last one. But I went back to it but it won. If it's still there when I go back in a few days maybe I'll try again. I'll look for kinks.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

I once built a small machinery shed from discarded 2" rigid conduit .All saddled together and welded trusses and all .Took me about two weeks of evenings after work .I did have to buy the gravel fill and metal roofing .20 by 30, 600 square feet,$600 .That was around 1980 ,I don't own it any more but it's still solid as a rock .

Kbeitz

That's funny. I built one to from junkyard pipe and siding.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Well there's one thing about it .If you earn or make money you have to pay taxes on it .If however you save money, so far they haven't figured a way to tax it,---yet . 8)

Kbeitz

I win I win....

I went back to the yard and on my forth try I coiled up the resisting band. Also found one more.
I also found 8 cam bearing that I took off some kind of equipment.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!