iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Race Fans

Started by Mooseherder, February 16, 2013, 07:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

It starts tonight in Daytona under the lights at 8:30pm.
The cooler weather should keep their motors running strong. :)

dchiapin

Gonna be a good one. New cars and no practice racing together.
The new generation cars are awseome, actually look like the real cars, like Smoke said "win on Sunday, sell on Monday", like the good ole days of NASCAR.

Magicman

Yup, it's ah runnin' and I'm ah watchin'.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Did the guy in the lead deliberately swerve to block the 2nd place guy, and thereby cause the crash?

If someone tried a stunt like that on a local track it would be the last time they ever raced....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Mooseherder

Scary stuff.  Hopefully everyone will be okay.
The drivers sure dislike plate racing and voiced their strong opinions.

Roger2561

The scariest thing about this crash (I don't call them accidents because they are preventable, IMO) is that the rookie's front clip, everything from the firewall forward is missing.  Most of it landed in the area off the track just in front if the grandstand with one entire front wheel assembly (tire, wheel, spindle, hub, etc...) landing in the crowd.  It amazed me that the driver was able to walk away from the crash. 

It appears to me from watching the replay, one of the drivers turned down to block (which is legal in NASCAR - they need to re-assess this at the super speedways) the car coming up on his drivers side, which turned him sideways.  That's what started the mess.  This isn't the first time that something like this has happened and it won't be the last.  Sounds to me either the spotter wasn't doing his job or the driver was simply ignoring him if he was being told.

This will not keep me from watching the "500" today.  I love NASCAR racing. 

Have a great day everyone!  Roger 

Roger

rospaw

Should be a good one!  8)

thecfarm

I don't watch all the races. Usually just the Sprint Cars ones. It was one of my friend GD birthday so we went over to The Party and he had it on. I would not of seen it if we would of stayed home.Yes,it was quite the crash,just before the checkered flag came down. I do hope all that got hurt in the stands will not be in pain for long. That will be a hot topic before the race today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

That end-of-race crash was scary, to say the least. That's another reason to never get near the fence during the race, even at a short track.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Warbird

Quote from: Ianab on February 24, 2013, 02:19:04 AM
Did the guy in the lead deliberately swerve to block the 2nd place guy, and thereby cause the crash?

If someone tried a stunt like that on a local track it would be the last time they ever raced....

Ian

I don't think so.  The #22 car was all over the rear end of the #7 car who was in the lead.  If you watch closely, you can see the #7 car being jolted as he was getting hit coming out of the corner.

Peter Drouin

It's all fixed,  :D :D :D :D :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 24, 2013, 01:31:56 PM
It's all fixed,  :D :D :D :D :)

Nascar and Wrestling are REAL......and you can't change my mind! I believe in that stuff.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

What!!??   Danica is not real??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

NASCAR is NOT fixed! Anyone that assumes that knows nothing about the racing.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

I have some river bottom farm land to sell, well irrigated. Interested? :D :D Seriously, I'm not casting my vote either way (lost interest in car racing years ago) but let's face it he who has the most dollars wins.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

Quote from: beenthere on February 24, 2013, 02:59:36 PM
What!!??   Danica is not real??

last year all she did was wreck, this year shes on the pole of the 500 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ok,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lumberjack48

I wish they'd let-em take the re-stricter plate off and let-em run, then they wouldn't be all bunched up like that.

When they started putting the plate on i quit watching, around and around they go in one big pack, they all have the same hp.

Back in the 70's they were fun to watch, i liked it when they ran street cars. It was who could manufacture the fastest car Chevy, Ford, Dodge and ect. In 1964 when Ford built the 427 Cammer engine, it ran away from the rest. I think they black balled it, i don't think that was right. The rest should have had to figure out how to catch it. The same with Plymouth Super Bird, it ran away from all them 220+ mph, that was black balled. Alls fair in love and war, i think racing to. 8)

I sure hope Danica isn't another scam by promoters to get people to watch.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Don_Papenburg

Danica did all right for a girl :)  Good race Jimmie is now in a very exclusive group with Lee and Richard Petty  ,Pearson and Ernhardt ,winning their 400th start.  Looks like Jr has things figgered out this year.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WH_Conley

I agree with Lumberjack48. Lete m run, in the old days they would run on the track, fight in the pit and drink at the local bar with the fans. It was truly a "good ole boy" sport then.
Bill

easymoney

i heard Danica say more than once that she was just riding around at half throttle most of the race. i had suspected that is what they do during those long races until it gets down to the last few laps. i was glad to see her do as good as she did. that shows that you do not have to be a big brawny boy to do good in nascar.
she is not the only one that wrecked a lot while learning how to drive.

clww

They run a reduced throttle in the draft, unless you're the leader, at the front of a particular line. Normal procedure at Daytona and Talladega super speedways.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

scgargoyle

DANICA PLACED EIGHTH! (some other guy won) DANICA PLACED EIGHTH!

I'm proud of her accomplishments. but she is a little over-hyped, ya think? When the racing actually started in the last lap, she went backwards pretty fast. Maybe with a lot more experience, she'll be in it at the end.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DanG

Yeah, she got outgunned by experience at the end, but she drove a good race.  It is a huge challenge to stay up front all day in a race like that.  If you could average their position lap by lap, she would probably win that.  I think the hype will eventually die down once she wins a race or two.  She'll just be one of the guys then...I hope.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!