iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

She gone

Started by YellowHammer, March 30, 2019, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Surprisingly, there aren't really any optional accessories, except the laser, they pretty much all come standard with this mill.  I got the 55 hp diesel.  The WM guy, Stephen, dropped it off in the rain and we spent several hours going over every little mechanical thing with a fine tooth comb.

The mill was backed up into the same bay as my sold LT40 and it fit very well. I ran it a good deal this morning, and wow, what a beast.  After running the Accuset for so many years, I was worried about adjusting to the joysticks, but actually started feeling pretty comfortable with them today.  Not too much different from running my loader.  I like the interface pretty well, definately much less hand movements.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Ok - so I see maybe three minutes worth of sawing there.  What did you do for the rest of the day?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Change the name of this thread to SHE HOME! Did you saw any Wallaba yet?  :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

customsawyer

Nice looking mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Did you get a photo of it in the packed up configuration? Wondering what it looks like with board return table and control station in the travel mode.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

I didn't get a photo of it in its travel mode, it unpacks a like a Transformer.  There are a lot of little bits and pieces to unhook and move, and I made the comment that in the WM promo video it only took 18 seconds from the time the guy shows up in the peaceful meadow with the birds singing, to be setup and sawing wood.   :D  He said there was a little movie special effects going on.  However, since this mill wasn't going to move, we spent extra time leveling and fine tuning.  Main thing was the unhook and unpack easy and pretty quick, not much different than any other WM, so it wasn't something new.

True to form, the WM rep was very knowledgeable and answered every question I asked, which was, let's just say, a lot.  So good job Woodmizer and thanks for that.  It's safe to say, I've been known to be a "demanding" customer.  I have no idea why. :D

Not only is that not much of a stack of wood, you might even notice it's a bunch of "pine" logs.  When the WM guy drove up and asked what we were going to cut, and I pointed to a stack of pine logs, and he said "I thought this was a hardwood mill" and told him that I bought a special load of cheap, nasty old pine just to play with, just so I wouldn't screw up any of my high dollar good logs getting used to the mill. :D  So then I get to sawing, and realized I hadn't taken any pictures, especially before I sawed into some metal on the mill.  So that picture is officially of a mill before I cut into it, which is a change from last time, on my old mill I cut the log clamp just about the time the WM guy was driving down the road leaving. :D So no metal yet!

The engine is quieter than my other mill, so that is nice, and the hydros operate slower at idle but still are many times faster than my old mill.  When the engine is running, then the hydros are really fast, like really fast.

The debarker has a flashing light instead of that crazy annoying beeper, so that's a big plus.  

When I stepped up from my manual LT15 to the Accuset 2, that was quite a jump.  It took many days to get used to it, but they have this mill's screen configured so it looks a lot like the Accuset 2 display, so it's an easy transition.  

I did find myself reaching for the non existent hydraulic levers a few times though.  It will take a while to break that habit.  

So I'm a very happy camper, this mill is a beast.  Now, I have to go out and wax it and put Armorall on the tires.  Don't want it looking dirty. :D  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

Oh he with the chain turner.............
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Andries

Nice write up YH!
If memory serves, it took 4x4american a while before he posted  his LT70 milling 'vidyao', but it wasn't that long before he was making the average log dance on the deck.
Have fun.  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

I remember the vid, I watched it several times. 

I don't know that I will pick it up as fast as @4x4American , but today, after a late breakfast, I fired up the old girl, and in a couple hours was able to saw and sticker this stack of wood.  I think I averaged right at 27,842 bdft per hour.  Not bad for only 3 gallons of fuel. :D :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

123maxbars

Not a bad start Robert, hang in there and you will get as fast as you was on your 40, don't get discouraged, this was a decent first attempt  :D
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Andries

Up here in Canada we'd call that a snow job, but y'know . . . keep that photo pasted to your control panel. It's good to set your goals to a realistic level.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

terrifictimbersllc

I think he means that he cut that 3x3 in the picture.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

YH,

Looks like you dropped a couple :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Resonator

Quotebut today, after a late breakfast, I fired up the old girl, and in a couple hours was able to saw and sticker this stack of wood.  I think I averaged right at 27,842 bdft per hour.  Not bad for only 3 gallons of fuel.
And I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona, you buy that I'll throw the golden gate in for free. (old George Strait song).  :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations on the new mill.

At the other end of the spectrum me and my manual Norwood sawed 30 1x8x10' boards for concrete forms in an hour last night. I was quite proud of us!

Jon 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

YellowHammer

Here's yesterday's sawing some nice cherry, the oblong one is 40ish and the others I'm sawing are 30 inches and better.  I'd been saving them for this. 

It would have been a battle on my LT40 but this was anti climactic, boom, it was done.  The mill ate them like candy, hungry for more.  It made some nice boards.

YellowHammerisms:

Southside

Just curious - what are you running for pressure on the band air bag?  1.5" bands?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

85 psi if I remember correctly.  Whatever it says on the little sticker... :D

Works fine, cuts straight, 7 degree, .055, 1.5".

YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mfrost459

Nice looking mill. I am sure you will have that thing spitting out three times as much lumber as the old mill. Look forward to seeing what improvement you make in the next few months.
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Thank You Sponsors!