iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmaster

Started by snowman, January 19, 2009, 09:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

I recently purchased a Woodmaster planer molder and am not real happy with their customer support.I had a couple of questions so I called the salesman I bought it from and he had a don't bother me attitude. Reminded me of a car salesman, your their best friend until you sign the papers then you get the bums rush. Next I tried their customer support site. They never answered my questions either. I bought woodmaster over grizzly and jet,1 because I felt it was a better machine, 2 because I wanted to buy American, especially in times like these.I guess that's the thanks i get. Just something to think about when you decide what to buy. Consider this a customer review woodmaster. :)

beenthere

What's the question...maybe some help here with all the woodmaster knowledge ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowman

One question I have already asked in here, nobody had any real solid info. Size generator to run this thing. After alot of research I decided on a volt master PTO gen set capable on spec sheet of starting a 7.5 code g motor. Woodmaster has 5hp code E so theres a good built in margin for error here and theres plenty of power left over for dust collection,lights, stuff like that. By the way,nooutage.com is a great site for this stuff and they answered my questions immediately, of course I havn't signed on dotted line yet though. :D Next question as yet unanswered is the plug on the woodmaster is completly different from receptacle on gen I'm looking at.What I'm wondering is do I wire in new plug? Is there an adapter? My elec knowledge is extremely limited and this may be a dumb question but it's my question and I'm sticking too it dangit. ;D

beenthere

Got a pic of the plug and the receptacle?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowman

Not only am I ignorant about elec, I am a complete halfwit about puters.I tried the profile pic thing a while, gave up fast, long ago. This is my wifes puter, she turns it on for me and everything, I'm surprised she even lets me use it. :D After I posted this original post though I thought, you dummy,ask nooutage about the plug isue since woodmaster won't respond. Ill try that next.

karl

Seem to be hearing that service isn't up to par at woodmaster lately- too bad, decent machines.
I'd prob'ly make up an extension cord so the genset could be a ways from my planer.
I'm assuming that the genset has a twist lock plug so's it aint unplugging itself all the time from the vibration.... put a 4"square box with a  standard receptical (I'm assuming your planer motor has a "welder" plug) on 10' or so of flexible cord and a twistlock to match the gen outlet.
A supply house for electricians should be able to set you up and 'splain what you need to do to git r done. Probably need #10 or #8 wire(copper) depending on amps and distance and wheather you plan on running more than just the planer off the cord....
plan on spending $60.-85.  bucks (or more) on cord and ends.....they ain't cheap.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

snowman

Karl you seem to know stuff. Could I run my gen to an elec panel just like my house has then run a wire from that to an outlet that matched my woodmaster plug ? Thats what I am thinking of because then i could wire my whole shop and run everything as needed when I fired gen up.

sperry

You can hook it directly to a breaker if you do that. I'm with Karl on the plug. I think that's what mine is or else an old 3 wire dryer plug.

DR_Buck

Quote from: snowman on January 19, 2009, 05:55:45 PM
Karl you seem to know stuff. Could I run my gen to an elec panel just like my house has then run a wire from that to an outlet that matched my woodmaster plug ? Thats what I am thinking of because then i could wire my whole shop and run everything as needed when I fired gen up.

That's an option.  Just be sure the generator has the capacity for EVERYTHING you want to power.   My Woodmaster 5 hp is wired to a 30 amp breaker which is what Woodmaster specs the machine at.  I've never tripped it so I guess it's enough.     This put you in the range of at least a 6000 watt generator just for the Woodmaster.    I think my generator uses an L6-30 connector for the 220 volt output.   This is a common twist lock.    A mating plug can be purchased at any big box store for around $30 and put on the end of the power cord to replace the one provided by Woodmaster.   None of this is difficult to do.  
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

snowman

THANKS dr buck, that's the immediate info i needed!

karl

Sorry I snoozed through a follow up- kinda busy lately.
Dr picked up the slack real well- ditto to what he said.
That's exactly what we did for our planer mill- 3 ph genset to a panel where we can pull 3 ph or 1 ph to machines/lights/outlets.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!