iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a timberjack

Started by cutter88, March 26, 2013, 10:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Starting to do more crown cutting so Im looking to buy a bigger skidder I have 3 models in mind
Any information good or bad would be appreciated mostly always had Clark's so I don't no a hole lot about tj
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Kemper

I just bought a TJ 460 grapple about three weeks ago, to replace my JD 640 grapple. I really like mine so far, doesn't leak any where & can really pull the wood. I wish it had the 30.5 tires instead of 28, but that's not a big deal. It's a timberjack by name, but is identical to the JD 648.

treefarmer87

240 with a detriot or cummins- detriot wouldnt drink a lot of fuel
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

David-L

240 with a Duetz, they are out there and usually have a 9L612 in them. I love the Duetz power in my 225 timberjack. I do alot of cordwood and getting off a 200 series jack is no problem all day. Once you start climbing up and down on the other skidders you mentioned it gets old and tiring. When your tired chances of getting hurt are more likely. Second would be a 240 with a 453 turboed, much quieter.

Good luck and if I see any thing I'll contact you.

David -l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

PAFaller

Im with David L on the 200 series being easier to get on and off, and you get used to the offset seat pretty quick. I know a few guys have the 6 cylinder deutz in the 240 and its a powerhouse, but if you cant get parts for them in your neck of the world that may not work for you. Detroits are pretty simple to work on, Ive seen a few with a 453T in them, most of the ones Ive seen though are naturally aspirated. Either way they are reliable. My 240 has a 353T in it, it holds on once you get the rpms up like a detroit needs to be running, but its not my first choice of motors. Just thats what it had, the machine was in good shape and the price was right so I settled for it.
The 350 is pretty much the same power wise, most had 353Ts or 453 detroits, but powershift. I ran one for a guy for a few weeks, it did the job but I wouldn't buy one. They sit higher and the powershift is nothing to write home about. John Deere sort of owns that department I think, if Deere did one thing right its that 8 speed powershift.
The 380 is a different animal if you get a newer one with a 6BT cummins in it. That motor makes a lot of torque and puts it to the ground well, so if you plan on having long skids and needing to pull big turns thats what I would lean too. Guess it sort of depends on what you are cutting and your cutting style.
It ain't easy...

David-L

Forgot to add that in hilly country or steep logging the 200 series is as stable as they get. I run 18.4x26 which makes it even easier to get on and is even more stable. I know a couple of guys with 240's who run 23.1x26 and that is a nice tire configuration for that machine unless you really need the clearance. As far as Duetz parts, Foley engines in Worcester , Mass has everything you need for these motors and they have always helped me out.  on the 240, if you can find a E series or an A they are newer and have a different transfer case and good brakes. sometimes you have to dig into the brakes as most guys don't maintain them but when they are up to snuff they really work.
                                                                                  David-l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

PAFaller

David are you still turning wood out in Mass? Its officially mud season here, I was able to skid mornings and get a couple load out last week, but its warming up now. Getting a little crust at night with temps in the high 20s but by 9 or 10 its mid 30s and all the frost is long gone from a warm rain we had a couple weeks back. Hoping it just gets warm and dry so I can get back at it soon. How is your deutz to start in the cold? I always wondered about those air cooled engines when the temp drops. That was my thought when I saw cutter88 is from northern ontario, may not be the easiest place to find parts or get one started if they dont like to start in winter.

Cutter88, I had 23.1-26s on my skidder and switched them out for 18.4-26s. With the smaller 353T it gave it sort of a power boost and narrowed it up by quite alot. If you are on relatively flat ground the 18.4-34 is a good tire too, seems to crawl over stuff better than the shorter tires. The 23.1-26 are a good tire, but they made my machine 9ft 6 in wide, and where Im at anything over 8ft4 requires an overwidth permit to move. The 18.4-26 got me down to 8ft 6 with just the tires, a hair wider with the chains on it, but not enough that it looks bad on the trailer and we just haul it now. David L lso mentioned transfer cases, the earliest version of the A series, which mine is, has the reverser in the transfer case but the design is a bit flawed in my opinion. The linkage for the reverser runs into the case through the front brake pack, and if the seals ever go bad you will have oil leaking in to your brake pack. I know this from experience, the rod in mine is a bit scored or something because I resealed it 18 months ago and its leaking again. In 86? I think they corrected this and the linkage goes back the same way but enters the transfer case outside of the brake pack, so as not to cause brake problems should that seal fail. I wouldn't say its a deal buster if the price is right on the one you find, just something to watch out for.
Heres mine pulling soft maple last winter with the wide tires

It ain't easy...

gwilson

I've got a 380b grapple skidder and so far so good. Mine has been beat up a good bit by previous owners and has some wear. No major complains because the price was right :). Best thing about the 5.9 6bt Cummins is that you can rebuild the motor out of your local parts store, but a drawback with parts is that all the rest have to come through John Deere. They seam to be easy to get though. I haven't gotten to put it in the woods pulling hard yet (Iv just pulled a couple loads) but the previous owner was pulling four or five loads a day with it. IT originally had AC and Heat but doesn't any more and the glass has been removed to help the breeze blow through the cab. Overall good machines, ready to get mine in the woods full time!

jd540b

I now have a 450a w/4-53T grapple with a winch.  Had it for about 2 yrs now and really like it.  Grapple is great to follow buncher with and for cutting oversized wood.  Having the winch as well is a necessity-still able to conventionally cut too.  Larger machine is nice for steep/rough ground, deep snow, and pulling stuck trucks.   

ClarkF66

cutter88; why Timberjack instead of Clark? I have had both and in my opinion the Clarks are heavier built and more solid. I do like the Timberjack 380 though.

240b

I've had a both 300 and 200 series.  The 380b ('90model w/6bt) would pull about 30% more than my 240b does.
On level ground.
The 240 will pull about the same on rough ground though. The 240 will out climb the 380 and will is more stable on sidehills. I got really tired of climbing up and down the 380 and went back to the 240 in the end. Though I wish I'd keep the 380, but thats another story.

In looking for a 240, I'd say look for at least an "a" model with the newer transfer case.  the "b" model has the larger 300/400 series pins instead on the pin/bushing in the "a" and eariler. But a kit was offered to upgrade the pins and you may find one which was. Most of gearamatic equiped tractors had the seperate winch control mounted next to the seat. I have always found it to be a less than desirable set up.  The "b" models a the last of the true timberjack's, 240c's have JD parts mixed in and is a hole lot bigger tractor in the end.   The 240b I have now came with 23.1 tires which make the tractor are alittle wider than I'd like but holds it up on soft ground well. In deep snow they are terrible. The tractor doesn't have the weight to push the wheel down into the snow and get good traction,so it chatters along. My 380 came from the factory with 23.1's but got changed to 18.4's,which were a little small for the tractor. You could put more wood behind the thing than the tires could handle,but thats a operator issue as far as Iam concerned.  Then there are 240's with powershift transmissions, never ran one. Guy in town has one, loves it. As, far as the 380 transmission goes, it is a clark. Just check the clutch pack pressures at operating temp. (can't remember psi, oldseebee would know) The "fiber"  gear which bolts to the flywheel is the only thing which gave me any sort of trouble. Most of the 380b model cable tractors had a short rear frame, the "c's" had a longer rear frame and pulled better. (they also have a steering wheel and jd which).  Working alone, the 200 series is easier on you at the end of the day.

MEloggah

I cant say I blame ya on the timber jack. davidL  has the best post ive seen in here. that duetz is hard to be and much quitter then a GM. fuel is about the same and makes the torque at low rpms so she doesn't need to scream like the Detroit. if your choppin by hand your on and off 30 times a day and it makes a big dif in 100 degree heat how far that climb into the seat is.  that *DanG 640 jd makes me feel like jack the giant killer every time I climb up into it. there has been a really nice super E up this way on craigs list.

Ken

I had a 1980 450 (same as 350) with a 453GM  and automatic transmission.  I took the 23.1 x 26 tires off and replaced them with 18.4 x 34.  Made the machine narrower by 9" if I remember correctly.  Also had a noticeable increase in power as I was not turning the larger tires.  Machine was very strong but I often only had 1 person using it so I couldn't justify the extra fuel when compared to a smaller machine.  Also it was a bit of a climb to get in and out of.  There are some 240's in this area and they have been very tough machines.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

cutter88

holy!!! thanks so much for all the tips and pointers guys im going to Kingston to see a 450 timberjack with a 5.9 cummins a clark three speed tranny and a gearmatic winch sitten on 23.1 26 rubber with four chains the guy is asking 15000 for it.... and to answer that one question about why I want a timer jack its for the simple reason there is only one place within 500km of here were u can get clark parts and I cant stand the people at the dealership! and clark skidders around the 666 and 667 size are few and far between up here anymore
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Rob-IL

I've owned several differnt skidders over the years, I guess I've had the best service out of my 240A Timberjack and our 540B Deere. I like the simple open center hydraulics on the 240 as it is the best skidder I've ever owned when it comes to keeping it fairly leak free plus the open system oil runs cooler. I do like the Deere's powershift & brakes, either machine will handle a decent size skid.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

CX3

I've got a 380C with cummins engine,  100" esco grapple and winch. 28L rubber. Real good machine. Easy to work on and Oreilly carries a bunch of parts for it or any john deere dealership. I love mine.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

gwilson

I know I may be taking this topic a bit off course but I know all the Timberjack owners are gathered here. does anyone know how much fluid the Clark powershift transmission  in a 380b should hold? the book says 9.5 gallons and when i drained it I only got four out and it was reading barely low on the dip stick. Any Info is appreciated. Thanks. 

240b

don't you have to have the motor running to get the correct reading on the dipstick? its been awhile....

Thank You Sponsors!