iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to "cure" root rot?

Started by Wash. Tinner, July 03, 2013, 12:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wash. Tinner

The stand of doug fir behind the house has steadily lost about 5 trees a year due to root rot. Now we are seriously thinking it needs to come down before a 150' fir comes through the house. Once its been logged how do you get rid of root rot before replanting?

WDH

In the South for Southern Pine, you can sprinkle borax on the freshly cut stumps to keep the root rot spores from infecting the newly cut stump.  That might or might not be practical in your situation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

enigmaT120

Is it laminated root rot?  Probably the easiest treatment is to clear cut out all of the fir and re-plant with a resistant or immune species.  I have a patch on a few acres that I intend to replant with Coastal Redwood, which is either resistant or immune, depending on who you ask.   I'm just waiting for the surviving trees to get big enough that the operation will pay for itself.  They were planted in 1989. 

The methods I read about involve equipment that can rip up the stumps and attached roots for disposal.  It didn't sound very practical to me so I don't remember all of the details, sorry.

I have a pamphlet on laminated root rot that I got from the OSU Extension Service.  There should be stuff available in your area, too.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/details.php?sortnum=0507&name=Forest+Health&cat=Forestry+%26+Wood+Processing

...manual 9 has a little bit on that and other diseases.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

RynSmith

Basically what Enigma said - plant resistant species - so you need to identify what rot you have.  I would start with the Kitsap County Conservation District if you don't feel you can ID it yourself.

Dieselbreath

As a person who is presently exposed to the  same problem after clearcutting a couple of acres of doug fir I have found out the best solution is to replant with a resistant species ie: ponderosa pine and after 50 years replant with doug fir. The root rot should be dead by then. Course I will be too. I am going to try Coastal redwood also. Why not?

Thank You Sponsors!