iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forestry, looking for some answers!

Started by Hunter71294, December 16, 2013, 10:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter71294

First I would like to to say hello and i'm glad to be apart of the forestyforum community! I'm trying to do a little logging on the side for some extra cash during breaks (college student) and would like to get some more information on logging and tree species. I have no idea about how much trees are worth and what species to look for. I know I will be selective with my cuts trying to get only quality wood. Here are some pictures I have taken.

The first TWO are of a black walnut tree that had fell down by it sell due to having its roots washed out by the creek it was beside. It is 22" in diameter I'm pretty sure maybe larger I have forgotten but we have a 16' straight log as shown another 8' straight log and another long piece about 16' I would say that has a v in it as well as other misc logs from the top of the tree.

This picture is of a large oak at a friends property that is 61" in diameter was wondering if you all thought it would be worth logging. Pricing, where to cut, and any other information would be welcome!

Hunter71294

This is a unknown species to me and has been down for idk how long. Looks alright to me but I need to cut into it if its even worth it. Are trees that have been weathered like this worth any money?  My friend in the picture is about 5'9"

chevytaHOE5674

The second picture of the oak you posted looks like a giant firewood tree to me, and the third weathered log pictured also looks like firewood for somebody with an outdoor wood boiler.

As for what species to look for that will depend on what the forest management plan calls for for the given stand. Being "selective" and only cutting "quality wood" is generally referred to as high grading and is generally not the best way to manage a hardwood forest.

Ianab

The Walnut log looks like the sort of thing you should be logging. Straight, no large branches, desirable species. Not worth millions, but marketable.

The big old Oak? Not so good. No big clear butt log. It soon gets into those heavy branches, and that limits what can be sawn from it. The size is also bigger than most mills would be interested in. Most value is probably as firewood, and at least it's going to produce a good stack of that. You might leave it as a wildlife tree, or just cos it looks cool, Or take it out, so something better can grow there.

Last log? Probably no commercial value. If it's a durable species like White Oak or Walnut it may be worth sawing, but no mill is going to buy it. Cut into it, decide what it is, and take if from there. But unless you have it milled yourself it's probably firewood.

As for what to cut? Like Chevy said, you don't want to "high grade" the forest. That's like selling your best milking cows. You take all  the valuable trees, and leave the junk ones. Eventually all you have is junk....

So you want to make a conscious effort to take out as much "junk" as practical. This might be less desirable species, deformed trees that are never going to produce a good saw log no matter how long you leave them. Then encourage regeneration of the species you want, and leave the immature trees that are your next round of harvest. The exact dynamics of this depends on the species, your actual aims (cash now, future harvest quality, wildlife, aesthetics, diversity etc) They have whole university courses to study this sort of thing, so it's a not a straight forward "do this" answer for everyone.

But the trees you are probably going to go for are the ones that have matured. They won't put on much more size, and may actually degrade (heart rot etc). And the trees that are never going to produce anything useful. What you LEAVE is the most important part as far as the future harvests go. Because you are a youngster, it could be you doing the harvesting in 20 or 40 years. You want the good stuff, and that's the trees you choose to leave now.

So, what's the firewood market like? That's a good outlet for "junk" wood. Most wood can be burnt, of course some is more desirable than others.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

I understand your need to earn extra money.  I must say that cutting timber is an unusual way to earn extra cash for the average college student.  What's your major?  I agree with the sentiments of chevy.  Cutting the best and leaving the rest isn't normally a good management objective.  Are you doing salvage cutting?

The big white oak is a wolf tree.  It looks to me to be an overgrown pasture, with that tree being one that was an old pasture tree.  The dead tree has some decent wood in it after you get past the sapwood, which will be stained or punky.  The interior will probably have bug holes in it.  You can see some on the exterior of the tree.  It wouldn't be a high quality log, and a mill would buy that at the lowest price, if at all.  The walnut looks pretty decent. 

Price of logs depend on the amount of clear lumber they can produce.  The more limbs or other defect, the lower the price.  Small logs also fetch lower prices.  You can lose a lot of money by not bucking logs correctly.  Same goes for felling timber.  If you split any butts, you will lose a lot of money. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Hunter71294.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

Hunter,
Take the photo of the oak to a wooden boat shop and see if they have any interest in it, the knee's and stems as well as many other frame members in boat construction are often made from trees just like the one in your photo.
roll with it

wmrussel

Welcome to the forum Hunter71294!  Looks like you're getting some good advice, I don't have anything to add.
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Thank You Sponsors!