iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Experience with Ecopoxy?

Started by eriksen, November 15, 2018, 06:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eriksen

Are there anybody on this forum who have any experience with Ecopoxy? This epoxy has a very long curing time and that is said to prevent bubbles in the finished casted product. Is this true?

btulloh

Sounds interesting.  I'm no help, but I'm curious to see if we can learn something about it.
HM126

Brad_bb

I've seen it used a lot in the last year - on Youtube.  I want to try it myself one day, but I've got too many projects to finish in the next year before I can work on a slab table etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

Then the problem of dust settling on it. Unless you have a special room.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

btulloh

Quote from: rjwoelk on November 15, 2018, 10:31:15 AM
Then the problem of dust settling on it. Unless you have a special room.
Roger that.  I'm waiting for the day when dust in the finish is desirable 'cause I do not have that special room.  If blue pine and gnarly slabs got to be desirable, dust can't be far behind.
HM126

Dan_Shade

To combat dust, why not cover the fill with a dust free panel to keep dust off of the epoxy 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_bb

Dust isn't a problem in the epoxy cause you're going to sand it anyway.  It's in the final finish....but every has to deal with that in their own way.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

AZ_builder

I'm picking some up next week to fill a void in a very large (3'x4') mesquite cookie. Heard good stuff but never used it. West systems has been good but I'm curious about the claims of deep pour clear finish of the ecopoxy and lack of harsh fumes.

eastman03

Just make sure you get the right product from them.  They make an amazing epoxy.  Their Uvpoxy is more for a thin finish coat like a bar top (I use it to finish my fishing lures).  Their Liquid Plastic is for the deep pours you typically see in river tables and whatnot mixed with different pigments.
Check out the guys at Black Forrest wood company to see how well Ecopoxy can work, these guys make some crazy stuff!
https://blackforestwood.com/pages/table-gallery

eriksen

I bought a gallon from ebay and tried it a few times in small plastic cups in order to check how fast it cured, but it never got hard. It´s still like soft rubber. Maybe it will work better on wood than in plastic containers?

AZ_builder

I purchased 6 liters of the 2:1 slow cure. Haven't used it yet.

eriksen

I have now tried with both the 1:1 and 2:1 alternatives of ecopoxy plastic kit and found that the 1:1 kit will stay soft like sticky rubber but the 2:1 kit get hard.

Are there other here with the same experience?

Joey Grimes

The main reason for the slow dry time is it doesn't heat up like others .You can do deeper pours at one time with liquid plastic ecopoxy .If the resin is not clear do not mix it has been frozen and must be heated in hot water until it goes back clear don't ask how I know 😀
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Thank You Sponsors!