iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tree is this seed pod from?

Started by Brad_bb, May 19, 2019, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Central indiana, just north of Indy.  Was walking along the edge of a woods and these seed pods were on the ground at the mowed edge of the woods.  I think Honey Locust has a longer skinnier seed pod  than this.  Anyone know?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

Are you sure that is not a petrified sandal.  :D :D :D
Made it home on Friday Brad, was a good trip.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

JohnW

That's pretty odd looking, but I wonder if it could be a paw paw.  Paw paws are green in the late summer and early fall, but I suppose they could be black by now.  They have large flat black seeds, maybe there's some of those in your seed pod.

Brad_bb

One of the round seeds is shown in my pic in the middle where the pod is broken.  

After some online searching, I'm thinking Kentucky Coffee Tree.  First time I've ever heard of that one.  As a sawyer, I wonder what the wood is like?

Ianab

Think you are right on the ID. 

Some info on the wood here. 
https://www.wood-database.com/coffeetree/

Seems it's useful, and quite durable wood, but the trees aren't that common, which is why you haven't come across it before. You could always try planting those seeds? 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

That's what I was thinking when I first opened the thread. That seed pod was tough enough that it has gone into decline, it was mastodon food. Native Americans planted it to make an intoxicating drink, don't try it, it'll make you sick but that is one reason you'll sometimes find clusters. Naturally decay resistant, hard dense wood, sort of ash like grain, narrow sapwood like locust and a similar leaf, very pretty. Plant them, we need more. This one was the sister of the NC champion, it had probably taken that title before it also went into decline. Not massive maybe 32" or so.

bluthum

Very likely   Kentucky Coffee tree though the pod looks a bit off. They tend to grow in clusters and were eaten as food by natives. First I'd heard of the intoxication possibility but it was sure used by early settlers for coffee and cabinet wood. i guess they really liked it as it's all but wiped out in my area. Too bad, it's a choice wood plus the grub potential. Oh, and being a legume it improves the soil.

WDH

The leaf is bipinnate compound.  Not may of those out there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BuckeyeAaron

Another vote for KY coffeetree (with high confidence).
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Brad_bb

I will try to plant them.  Hopefully they don't need to be digested by an animal first?

rjwoelk

Well if they get digested  first, just make some coffee..  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 20, 2019, 11:44:31 PM
I will try to plant them.  Hopefully they don't need to be digested by an animal first?
Strange you should say that. The seeds have evolved to germinate AFTER being eaten by a Giant Sloth  :o
As those are extinct... it appears you get better germination if you soak the seeds in hot water, or scratch them up with a file and soak them in cold water. Then plant them.... 
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-kentucky-coffee-tree-45889.html
Possibly explains why the tree (like Giant Sloths) isn't that common... ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

I have 2 of them in my yard.  You don't need a giant sloth for them to germinate.  They do quite well on their own.  They seem to do pretty well in partial shade.  I've had them pop up in flowerbeds that were next to the trees, and they have come up along some fence rows.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

The owner of the one above did consider the sprouts a nuisance in her flower beds, there were dozens. I wish I had brought some home. Everything I've read says they have a very low germination rate. Probably sort of like tulip poplar, a very low rate but many seeds. With many seeds the odds really improve if you scarify them.
What I've read about the coffee was the moment regular coffee caught up to the settlers they switched :D.

Ianab

It would be about the low germination rate. If a tree drops 1,000 seeds, and only 100 grow, that's probably OK.  If you plant 10 seeds, and only one grows, it's pretty disappointing. Hence the advice to scarify / pre-soak the seeds. Maybe that way you get 5 out 10, which makes it worth the effort. 

Banjo picker

Any chance you guys that have some seeds would share some with the ole Banjo Picker?  ;)  I would gladly reimburse your shipping.  Might plant one by my butternut.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!