iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nose for trees

Started by Jeff, May 27, 2002, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Do any of you notice different trees that stand out for one reason or another? Strange form, weird growths, or maybe perfect form? Just something that makes that tree stand out?  I would like to see pictures of those trees in this thread!
Here is the Tree that inspired this, I have looked at it for years, but never had the camera with me until today. I wonder if anybody else has ever noticed a nose for trees? :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I like a cedar tree because they smell good and the boards are easy to carry.
Here`s another novel idea for you Jeff, start a tree zoo with all the different species of trees in one location.
You`ll need a high fence because some of them will be really tall.

Jeffs TREE ZOO

Jeff

Ran across this site up near Crystal Falls Michigan in the far western end of The U.P.  The rock was obviously split apart as the tree grew. This tree is now dead, but a new rock splitter is growing now in the crack to the left. I stood and took in this site along the highway for a longtime.

Ron Scott

That's "Split Rock", a local reference point. There use to be a sign there along the highway noting it as such. I'll be going by it tomorrow on way to Iron River.
~Ron

Jeff

There is a tree that stands in the v where U.S 27 south and U.S. 10 east come togther just north of Clare MI. Its down in a little ditch surrounded by weeds and brush. I wonder if I am the only one that has ever noticed it? I call it the burl tree. The picture I have of it does not do it justice. I will try to get a better photo, but I have to stop on the expressway and run off to get one, and the timing and traffic never seems quite right when I go by with the camera. :)

This tree has a massive trunk that seems to be made up of burl upon burl upon burl. up the trunk on the limbs. everywhere.  They were working on the highway this year and I thought for sure that the widening project would take this tree out. I was determined to get it somehow if it did, but a call to the county garage told me the tree will be staying. Probably forever. Aint it a shame that even when it dies because of its location it will never be able to be touched.

I'll just keep dreaming about the figure that must lie beneath the bark.

Jeff

A fresh picture. Ya know, I don't even know the species here.

Bro. Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

Cedar Trees In Rock. Northern White Cedar trees growing in rock near St. Ignace, Michigan,1964.

~Ron

CHARLIE

I got this picture off the back of the May/June 1986 Fine Woodworking magazine. Following is what the caption says:
Unlike most of us, Axel Erlandson preferred to do his woodworking with live trees. for almost 40 years, Erlandson bent, grafted, split boutnd and coaxed trees into extraordinary shapes. When he died, in 1964, Erlandson's roadside tree circus near Santa Cruz, Calif., contained more than 70 specimens, a few of which are shown here. Thought many of the trees died of neglect in the decades after Erlandson's death, 28 have recently found a home in a nearby botanical garrden and park.

These pictures of the trees were from 1986, I wonder what they look like now!

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I took this picture Christmas Day. It is of probably my Favorite tree to look at. It is a humungous White Oak that stands alone in a field on the Weidmen Rd. in Isabella county. It just seems to be perfect, winter or summer. No matter what angle you approach from the tree has the same shape.

I wish it was outside my window so I could see it more often but then I probably would start seeing boards instead of Natural Beauty. ;)

I think this is a pretty cool Picture. :)

I like the stylized version that Jeff
sent to me tonight better.  (Tom)

beenthere

Jeff
You will be having nightmares if you try picturing??? boards in that tree.;D  It is a beauty tho.
Happy New Year To All
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mapleveneer

The local kids worship this tree.

An Eastern Male White Pine

Jeff

Whats the story on this tree MV?

dan-l-b

Great picture of the white oak Jeff.  There are a few trees like that in the river bottoms outside Columbia MO.  A friend of mine who died of cancer showed me the tree and we spent tme underneath her during his illness.

johncinquo

Lets see if I can get pic # 2 to work now.  Here is what I named a "saddle".  I am sure it has some other name, but hey I like it.  I have found several like this after I started looking for them.  This is just north of Kent City MI.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jeff

John do you have a close up of whats going on there? It looks interesting but I cant figure out what I am looking at. :)

dan-l-b

Hey Jeff, found this one pretty close, is that a crows nest or what? :D :D :D

Tom

How many nails do you reckon got into that tree? :D

DanG

Jeff, I think that might just be a young male tree, as opposed to the old male tree, posted above. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Here is North Florida's giant redwood.  It's located on US-17 on the South side of the Nassau River, north of jacksonville and is the sole creation of  cell telephone company that has run amok.

Over
 300 feet tall  with wimpy branches attached to its top, this tree is supposed to be inconspicuous sitting amongst the 75 foot pines at its base.  

I would sure hate to be a soldier that had to depend on these folks to design my camo.

Tom

Grampt1 has been trying to make a picture-post forever and a day and this was going to be the great unveiling.  A good one it would have been too but optimization got in the way.  He'll make it, one day.  I know. :)

Here's Gramp's Proboscis Tree. :D

hydeoutman

I thought this Forum was family rated ;D ;D

Tom

Why?   Does your mind's eye see something, hydeoutman? :)

Jeff

Tom you might have to paint an eye and a mouth on that tree.

hydeoutman

Here are some photo's of Chapel rock at Pictured Rocks National Park in Munising, MI.

That's a gorgeous Hemlock that sit's a top what is known as Chapel Rock. You can see the limbs that are just over my shoulder coming back to the main ledge. That's me in the middle, my son Jessee and brother-in-law Don

This is from the underside looking up at the limbs reaching out back to the main ledge. At one time I remember seeing this limb completely covered quit a few years ago,  :( no photo's of that

This is the base on which the hemlock is growing.

The entire tree and base structure.

Thank You Sponsors!