iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from your deer stand.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Recent sunset view during September 2019 prior to taking large bear from this stand.
~Ron

Allagash372XP

Saw a 10 point in the field behind my house yesterday, I swear I think I felt it move. Loves seeing the boys moving around this time of year.

stavebuyer

My tower stand

And this little guy was right behind them. I put the phone down and picked up the crossbow, so there is no before picture.  

Jeff

I've not had any real chance to be in a blind this year.  

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gspren

Here in PA there was a special antlerless hunt on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for junior and/or senior license holders, I qualify for one of those 8). I was in the woods mornings and evenings and saw one deer too far away to identify then this afternoon, Sunday, three does came out behind the house in our field and thumbed their noses at me. More seasons to come.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dirtmotor

Little foggy yesterday , guess i was watching deer instead of hunting did not see one i wanted to kill , seems like the older i get the picker i am .

WV Sawmiller

@dirtmotor ,

I know that feeling. Many of my most memorable and successful hunts I never shot at anything. We had a big deer die off this summer and I have not hunted yet even though bow season has been in a month and we had a special youth and senior hunt last weekend which I skipped for first time in several years. I may try in the next week since the weather has cooled off and the deer are pretty much out of danger from the disease. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

We had a real hot dry summer with lots of deer dying from some sort of fly borne disease so here it is 6 weeks into bow season and I still had not hunted. I put 2 feeders out several weeks ago and checked one today and saw it was down about half way which told me my upper feeder was likely about out since I only put one 50 lb bag in it because I have to haul it a long way by hand. I got my bow out and checked the sights to remind myself how I last set them. I got my first 2 pins set on 20 and 30 yards and highly unlikely I will ever try to shoot anything further than that. It would be hard to get a shot past 20 yards at my upper feeder. About 2:30 pm I loaded a bag of corn in my ATV and took my bow and carried it up the mountain several hundred yards and refilled it, changed the battery, reset the time then climbed in my elevated shooting house and sat for the evening. Within 15 minutes a doe fawn came, fed a while then left, came back and spent the afternoon with me. A few minutes before sunset a young adult doe came out and the two sniffed noses. A few minutes later a couple more fawns, then a young doe then a yearling doe then a big old black back doe came out. I did not see any bucks and the bunch got spooked after feeding a few minutes then left. I will try to take the old doe later this season when the weather and conditions are right. I want a time where I can hang my deer overniight with weather between 32-40 so they chill but don't freeze. The next day I will debone and process the meat into cuts we need and prefer.

End of the day - I think 7 deer within 20 yards of me. Not all made it in the photo  

Doe fawn (L) and young doe (R) just before sunset

Doe fawn that spent her whole afternoon with me. She is actually a legal bow/antlerless deer and in very good shape to only be 6-7 months old. Her mom may have been one that died this summer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Not the deer stand went to the duck blind. It got down to 8 degrees so we froze pretty bad, this blind is a temporary set up it's actually sitting on top of the pit blinds which are still a victim of the Missouri river flooding and under water, saw lots of  birds broke lots of ice. Got a few, watched thousands, good day in the blind, not a deer stand picture, as  most of our stands are victims of the flooding too, not many deer on the bottom they need dry places to live, and the river bluffs in the backround are a short mile away.

stavebuyer

An unusually early dusting of snow in KY made a nice backdrop for this little fellow visiting my blind.

Nebraska

Looks like a dandy hope he visits in the daylight.

Ron Scott

~Ron

stavebuyer

He came back for a daylight visit. I already tagged a small buck with my crossbow. I could take 3 more does but we are allowed only one buck, so I am hunting with camera only unless  a coyote happens by.

stanwelch

Stavebuyer. That is a nice buck. He will be bigger next year. Good luck!
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

stavebuyer

Quote from: stanwelch on November 13, 2019, 06:47:27 AM
Stavebuyer. That is a nice buck. He will be bigger next year. Good luck!
I am keeping the feeder filled and his scrapes "freshened" in hopes he hangs around as I agree he could be a dandy if he makes it another season.

Bricklayer51

Heading out in a few lots of scrapes and snow opening day

Nebraska

Checked the deer stand Saturday evening it was a bust all our stands but one required hip waders to reach, corp is dropping the river  finally so maybe late season. So we went duck hunting instead. Too nice, so not much for decoying ducks but the sunrise was awesome.

Just a few minutes later

It was a good morning got to spend it with two of my son's and a good friends father, duck hunting was fair, lots of birds to watch, day was awesome.  We were blessed.

DPatton

Sooooo many ducks and geese on the flooded Missouri River this fall. Great pics Nebraska.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ron Scott

One Blind's 2020 Season View.

~Ron

Walnut Beast

Looks good Ron! Good luck 🍀 

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

Looks good! Good luck 🍀 Jeff

Walnut Beast

Just little guys tonight 

Walnut Beast

Absolutely beautiful evening to be sitting in a hedge row and a view of CRP on one side and corn 🌽 field on other 🦌

97redjeep

beautiful evening for a sit in the cabin, with the wood stove going of course  8)
And a doe with antlers, a first for me at my property, I've heard of it before in a neighbouring town, kinda neat.
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Thank You Sponsors!