iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm all done with milling

Started by Kingcha, June 11, 2013, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

Well not for good  smiley_whacko, So far I just love it and wished I had gotten into this years ago.

I got my frame up for my mini lean-to that will house my wood splitter up.   I really like using green lumber.   Going to let it dry in place before I install the wood siding and the metal roof.   THANKS ALL for the help with my ?'s.  I also have a book on building with green lumber on its way.

Will start on some shelving for the pole barn to use up some of the not so prime lumber i have sawed.   I need open up a spot for dried lumber.

Before I can get back to the mill I will extend my permanent drying area.  I cut some 4x6 the other day for that job.   

I have a few cherry logs and some maple logs that will be first up once I get back to milling........ 8) 8)

I got a little mold growth on some of my lumber so I have to work on that part.   Some lumber did not get stacked good right away.    I will rack that up to learning.
I need to find a good source or book on drying lumber???

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

thecfarm

I feel your source is right here at your keyboard.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on June 11, 2013, 06:49:33 PM
I feel your source is right here at your keyboard.  ;)

That's just gas......it'll pass.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kingcha on June 11, 2013, 06:46:20 PM

I need to find a good source on drying lumber???

Matt

You just opened up a can of worms.  ;D

Start asking questions. Some of these guys on here can dry some lumber now.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

I'm done with milling to!........ For today....... as of 5 O'clock....... ;D

Andy White

Kingcha
This milling must be a real strong brotherhood, because some of my first cuttings done the same thing, and I thought I will never be able to learn all of this sawing in one lifetime. Every body has posted that if you keep milling, sooner or later you will get it. So I am doing that to the Max. and loving it. Get your shed built and that will help in stickering and drying for sure.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

beenthere

There is an air drying manual that is quite good and covers the gamut.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Air flow is good.  AIR FLOW IS GOOD.  AIR FLOW IS GOOD.  Like John Keats said on a Grecian Urn, "'Beauty is truth Air flow is good, truth beauty,—that is all   
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'" 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kingcha

Thanks beenthere, looks like a good read.....just skimmed it, will go through it later.

I will think about all the ?'s

Yeah air flow is good and that was my biggest mistake.   I also have some borax mixed up as well.

Once sprayed down with borax and stickered in a good spot with airflow will the blueish mold stop growing at least.

I also do not think that I brushed off all the sawdust, is that bad?

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

WDH

Leaving the sawdust on the boards significantly reduces the drying rate.  It is better to brush it off before sticker stacking.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

Part of learning is asking the right questions.  Looks like you're well on your way.  You might consider weighting down the top of your air drying stacks to help keep them from warping.  A lot depends on species and how straight the grain is.  You've got to be itching to get back to sawmilling!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ND rancher

Matt since your done and probably ready for that summer vacation I have just the spot for you! You can come to ND and mill for me since I haven't got to mill for months and have lots to do.I just looked at some trees in town that are coming down for a road and I just might have to get them.Figure over 150 16' logs! So you are welcome to practice at my place.   Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Kingcha

Cut tree down, cut tree up, mill tree into boards, then build something with boards. It really is a great feeling.

I am tempted to take you up on that ND, but then who would do all the projects I have planned this year.  :)

I should be ready to get back to the mill by Saturday, I hope.   8)   The wife is helping me tomorrow so I hope to get a lot done.  Including another 8-1/2 feet added to the drying area.   

Letting my log splitter lean-too dry some more before finishing siding and roof, Shelving in pole barn done.   Tomorrow I have one last 15 feet in the pole barn to organize for better storage as well as the drying area addition.

I have 2 - 6' cherry logs to cut up this saturday.  I was going to make thick slabs but they are smallish so I am guessing just some 1" boards.   
I also have a few maple logs but they are not long either and not all to str8.     Oh yeah i still have 4 small pine logs too.
matt   yeah I know pictures will come someday

ND rancher

I got to look at the trees today.There might be more than than I thought. He is saving logs 12"-32" for me, mostly 16'and 8'.It's about 13 mile trip one way through both towns.Well see next week how many I can get on my 32' trailer!    Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Thank You Sponsors!