Sponsors:

Unkown tree, what is this?

Started by Caretaker58, December 26, 2017, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caretaker58

I need help identifying

this tree.

GAB

With all of the cat faces I'd say it is a Firewood tree.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Hard to tell without seeing a branch up close.  Does look like pignut hickory to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Looks like it might be ironwood  :D, is that an old fence in there in the top and bottom pics?

mike_belben

hickory, walnut, ash and cottonwood all share that wire mesh bark pattern.  Structurally it doesnt look like hickory to me and im not fluent in those others. 

Look for nuts on the ground.  Native wolf might know.
Praise The Lord

WDH

I have seen box elder bark that looks like that, too.  Need a close up pic of the twigs and buds.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Caretaker58

I found some small nuts, sort of  pecan looking, thin hard shells, some small ends of branches sugesting it is some sort of hickory

WDH

PewaukeeTree

In my opinion, it is a Firewood tree. :)

Jchampagne93

mike_belben

Big stick of cellulose wrapped in sauteed cambium with lignin sauce and ice water. 
Praise The Lord

Black_Bear

The bark pattern and numerous fine twigs in the crown look a lot like the bitternut hickory (Carya cordiformis) found in the southwest corner of Vermont, toward the north end of its range. The silvi guide shows it can also be called pignut hickory, but pignut hickory (Carya glabra) is also a different species. I'm not well versed in hickory identification, but that's what it looks like to me.  

WDH

If it is bitternut, the buds will be sulfur yellow. 

John Mc

I was trying to see if the branching was opposite or alternate, but i can't quite see in the picture. Opposite would rule out Hickory (probably leaving Ash as the choice).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!