iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two firsts ( deer hunting)

Started by moosehunter, October 17, 2006, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

My lovely bride got the first deer for the year for our group ( only four people)

AND it was her first deer with a bow 8)

She is very excited.

Maybe as excited as I am for her ;)

I haven't even found time to go out yet :(

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

Happy for you and the bride.

Sorry, I just received word today, that a friend I worked with in NJ, was found dead by the tree he was bow hunting from. Apparently fell.  ::) ::)  He was 66.  ::)

His Son found him.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

I've been sittin' in trees and I think about that sometimes. Ya get bored and start thinkin' about stuff and then maybe doze off a little......I always wear a harness now....

Tell the misus congrats on the deer   sling_shot   sling_shot

Did ya have some fresh steaks  ???  ???  ???

Potato too  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dan_Shade

I took a hunter safety course this year, tying yourself into a tree is a great idea, if you use a saddle type harness.  a belt harness can be worse than just plain falling out, you can loose conscousness and suffocate if you are hanging by your belt long enough :(

be careful out there :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

moosehunter

We always wear a harness!
A nap in a tree stand is one of the great pleasures of hunting. But ya gotta have a harness!

Had butterfly loins last night musteat_1

mh

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Norm

Congratulations Mrs Moosehunter! Getting a deer with a bow is quite an accomplishment and the first one is very exciting. I'll bet she's still wearing a big grin. :)

Ummm fresh grilled butterfly loins are sure good. Cold weather has finally moved in here, time to dust off the bow and get out into the woods for some naps and hunting.

Weekend_Sawyer

Great going, Mrs MooseH.

Sorry to hear about your friend Harrold.

I am just getting into bow hunting and climbing tree stands. I do use the full harness and follow the directions. 20 years ago I would have scoffed at safety equipment and instructions. Was too good for all that. I would like to think that I am smarter now.

Maryland, Anne Arundel county, says you can harvest unlimited does with a bow and 10 with a gun, they are really trying to cut down on the population. I am sure trying to do my part. I see lots of deer when I'm not hunting.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Burlkraft

Looks like there's gonna be a venison feed at Weekend_Sawyers... digin1 pepsi_smiley
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Weekend_Sawyer

Man I hope! I was sittin in the tree stand this morning watching the sun come up, what a sight. That in it self made the hunt worth while. There's lots of deer sign, I just need to wait em out ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Scott

Yes, elevated stand hunting can be dangerous. Be sure that you are also using a "good" quality and maintained tree stand and not the unmaintained and rotted wooden stands of previous years.
~Ron

Norwiscutter

I normally don't where a harness in my deer stand... I just sit on the couch by the heater. 8)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Fla._Deadheader

Follow up report is, he had a heart attack and fell out and on the arrow. Source is known to REALLY stretch the truth, or, make his details fit the story.  ::) ::) ::)

Sorry to highjack this thread. Just thought a reminder of the hazards might keep someone from being hurt or killed.  :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Murf

Harold, your point is a good one.

Similar thing happened to me while sitting waiting for a deer, except I was about 30 years younger than he was!!!  :o

Luckily for me we were using radios to communicate and had scheduled radio chck-ins every hour on the hour. When I didn't respond by radio my buddy who was nearby came to check on me.

Thankfully they had me on a helicopter to the hospital in very short order.

Nobody is immortal, never hunt alone, and always take every precaution possible.

If not for your sake, for the sake of those who love you.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ron Scott

Just heard on the local news that the Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched to rescue a bow hunter who fell out of his tree stand in an inaccessable area south of here. Though broken bones, the rescue was successful.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!