iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blew up my Kohler

Started by Larry, June 21, 2018, 09:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

I have a Kohler on my new mower.  It's a 747 cc model, and does not impress me at all.  Constant problems with the coil pacs, runs hit and miss.  I'm sticking with briggs or Kawasaki from now on!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

dgdrls

Quote from: Tin Horse on June 22, 2018, 11:01:37 AM
My wood processor came with a 36HP Subaru gas on it. They are very compact and have a better cooling system. Oil cooler. Don't know how they price out by comparison. It's worked great in hot and cold weather. Still have low hours yet though.
I've also heard some guys use them in ultra lite planes because of reliability. Good luck.
I like the Subaru as an option.  The build and specs read favorably. 
D

bigjmt

I've done a few motor replacements for Kohlers. Some on stump grinders and mowers.
Most needed to have a Kohler replacement due to fitment incompatability with any other brand.
However.....Kohlers are way overpriced and just not very "rugged". Parts are also high.
Recently Briggs motors seem to be a better choice if you can make one fit.
Honda, Kawasaki also better than Kohler.

Al_Smith

I can't speak for the newer Kohler engines but the old cast iron models would about run forever . 

Tin Horse

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 23, 2018, 05:18:41 AM
I can't speak for the newer Kohler engines but the old cast iron models would about run forever .
Yup. Prior to trading my 1976 Wheel Horse lawn tractor in for a zero turn Ferris last year I debated engine options. Went for the Kawasaki. The old Wheel Horse is still going. Engine never touched.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Al_Smith

Although I don't know I would assume Kohler makes different grades of engines just like Briggs .For example the Briggs 8 HP singles ,flat heads had three different grades .The lowest was a plated cylinder with no insert bearings .Next was IC with inserted brass bushings .Top of the line was IC industrial with a ball bearing crankshaft .Obviously it would be the most robust engine of the three .

ladylake

I'd guess the Kohler engines put on sawmills are Kohler best  but quality has went downhill on them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kindlinmaker

Had my first bad Kohler experience on a new Ford garden tractor 1981. Replacement blew just like original. Inherited a couple since that time and  never been impressed. Lots of small engines thru my time as a landscaper. I pay extra for Honda 10HP and below; Kawasaki above 10HP.  Have never been anything but satisfied to date. I would be disappointed if I had to do anything but change the oil until at least 2500 hrs.  
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Al_Smith

My neighbor had a lawn service and ran Dixie choppers with Kohlers .He never had a problem with them and claimed they were good for 2500 hours .
Then again if you think about it ,a sawmill would more often be under a lot heavier load than a zero turn mower .Plus the fact it's in an environment of sawdust which can't be good for it .
Now I know almost nothing about a bandmill .I'm building one but that's a story for another time .That said on my Zero turn Toro with a Kawasaki it recommends no more than 50 hours on an oil change and that's with synthetic oil .Petroleum base would be less .It might be such a thing if these things are failing perhaps 30 hour run time might be of benefit .Oil is cheap,engines are expensive .--just saying .

MartyParsons

QuoteThey just don't have anybody that can work on them.
Are you sure?

I have many Kohlers out there in the field. Not many issues that I have seen. Every time I get out the computer program out for a Kohler issue I need to relearn how it works.
Here is what I have seen.
Three engines broke cranks from customers over tightneing drive belt.
Two engines with TPS issues
One engine with wrist pin clip that came out.
One engine oil leak.
Fuel pump carb issues from engines not being run for months or years. Bad fuel. Hard to blame this on a manufacture.

Just my experience.
We also have a small engine shop, with Kawasaki , Briggs , Honda.
Every engine manufacture has a bad day sometimes.
Not sure if this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

maple flats

For my engines under 10 HP I like Hondas, I only have 1 over 10, and that is a 16 HP Briggs Vangard, in a 1985 Ferris mower In it's first 14 years it mowed lawns commercially, then after that I just used it to mow the aisles in my u-pick blueberries. Never had a problem with it. Just normal maintenance items.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MartyParsons on June 26, 2018, 07:45:57 AM
QuoteThey just don't have anybody that can work on them.
Are you sure?

Marty
I'm sure.....if you want to measure it in milage.
Not a soul with in 50 miles or more even knew how to work the software.
100's of dollars spent....numerous Kohler "Technicians" put on part after part after part.
NO results. You need this, you need that....try this, try that.....check this, check that.....
I heard it all!
Kohler dealers in my area have not been taught how to diagnose the problems with the EFI Kohler. 
I couldn't afford to pull my mill to Pennsylvania to get it fixed.

So to answer your question again...They don't have anybody that can work on them where I live.

Love ya Marty.  :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

StimW

I had a customer give me a 2004 Grasshopper 52" ZTR mower with a blown up 22 hp Kohler engine that a tenant left behind! (they are about $9000. new today!)
It had 3100 hours on it and I found that the cooling fins were completely clogged.
The engine overheated and #2 head exhaust valve stuck and the piston ate it.
The crank mic'ed perfect! Not even a scratch on it.
I bought a rebuild kit with new rods, pistons, gaskets and bought a new cylinder head for under $400. for everything.
I still have it and have even used the mower to cut my 10 acre pasture!
Your results may vary.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

curved-wood

My fin on my Kolher were also block with cedar fibers. That stuff is just like rope. I was Lucky I got the an overall check on the motor last winter and the mecanic cleaned it out.  It was just  a preventive maintenance after 3,500 hours. So I am going to check kore often the fins.    The Kolher before  had last 4,500 hours which I am happy with considerong what it endured

ladylake

Larry

Any updates, what caused it too blow, did you replace it yet?     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 23, 2018, 05:18:41 AM
I have a Case-Davis 16+4 trencher.  That is a 16 hp Kohler and 4x4 drive.  The hour meter broke at 987 before I bought it (cheap).  By the looks of the machine, I'd say it had another 1,000 or so on it.  It developed a knock.  Turned out the bolts on the connecting rod on the crank were loose.  The cylinder was also pitted from having water in it at one time and there is a deep score/crease along one side.  The bore is too far oversize to hone out and a bit egg-shaped.  So, I need a short block for a K341, anyone got one? :-\  Otherwise, it sounds like a Kawasaki would be the reasonable choice to re-power this?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ladylake

A k341 was one of the good old ones.   Steve

Larry

I removed the old motor from the mill last week. This morning, before the crack of dawn, I headed up to TK in Kansas City to exchange my old motor for a brand new Kohler exactly like the old one. Once at TK the techs checked over my clutch to make sure it still had plenty of life in it. It was good so they swapped it over to the new engine in a few minutes. The old engine is being shipped backed to Kohler so they can do an autopsy on it.

Before hitting the road to come home, I spent about 20 minutes drooling over a new TK-2500 with a monster diesel on it. Dual chain turners, dual clamps, and big! I see now why they told me it would be extremely hard to convert my 2000 to a diesel.

Both Kohler and TK are stand up companies and have my full respect. Will, the President of TK, went the extra mile for me.

I'm extremely happy with the outcome. As I posted earlier, I was happy with the Kohler until the blowup, which I still think was a one in a million deal. It always started easy, and ran smoothly with good power.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DelawhereJoe

The 19hp kohler on my zero turn went at the start of the spring, around 500 hrs on it too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Darrel

Glad to hear that things worked out for you Larry. If you happen to hear the autopsy results please be so kind to let us know. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Larry on July 02, 2018, 05:10:54 PM
I removed the old motor from the mill last week. This morning, before the crack of dawn, I headed up to TK in Kansas City to exchange my old motor for a brand new Kohler exactly like the old one. Once at TK the techs checked over my clutch to make sure it still had plenty of life in it. It was good so they swapped it over to the new engine in a few minutes. The old engine is being shipped backed to Kohler so they can do an autopsy on it.

Before hitting the road to come home, I spent about 20 minutes drooling over a new TK-2500 with a monster diesel on it. Dual chain turners, dual clamps, and big! I see now why they told me it would be extremely hard to convert my 2000 to a diesel.

Both Kohler and TK are stand up companies and have my full respect. Will, the President of TK, went the extra mile for me.

I'm extremely happy with the outcome. As I posted earlier, I was happy with the Kohler until the blowup, which I still think was a one in a million deal. It always started easy, and ran smoothly with good power.
I had a 15hp Kolher on my first sawmill lt15. Now I have a 38hp fuel injected Kohler on my lt40, I've never had an ounce of trouble with either one (knock on wood). I think they are fine engines, just do the mantenice, oil change every 100 hours and blow the air filter out couple times a week.  The 38hp has the power to run the T7s and doesn't bog in the hardest and widest of woods.  I lo :)ve them!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Theeck

That's concerning.  Any idea why it went bad?   We have a Kohler Commander on our Kubota zero turn.  I always thought they were good engines.  

Theeck

Actually, it might be a Kohler Command Pro on ours.  We have had no problema with it so far.  

kiamori

Have a Kohler Command Pro 999cc on my mill and nothing but problems for 3 years now, back and forth to the kohler dealer with the only result being less money in my pocket. problem not solved and they won't warranty it. Not sure how you were able to get a replacement from them but I'm currently looking at getting a vanguard because that's what's running on most of my other equipment with no issues at all.

Thing runs rough, backfires once every 7 seconds or so, after idling down when its warm it sometimes dies blowing smoke back out the air intake. It also spins up to 2100rpm, spec is 1600.

the dealer just keeps blaming it on "bad gas". 

I put in new gas from a different station in, replaced the fuel lines and filter, stuck some coils testers on and they both seem to blink the same. I'm at a loss not sure what to do with this thing.

Magicman

Backfiring is sometime a case of intermittent ignition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!