iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

17 vs. 27 hp kohler

Started by welderskelter, February 14, 2019, 11:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I have a 17 hp kohler on my mill. I like it. But I may have a chance to get a 27 hp. kohler cheap. But looking them up the 17 weighs 128 and the 27 weighs 105 i believe. Could it be more aluminum in the 27 that makes it lighter. Anybody have any experience with any of these? Harold

sawguy21

Do you have the old horizontally opposed flat head twin? It was heavier than the new v twin as it had cast iron cylinders.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

welderskelter

Yes. I guess it is the old opposing twin instead of v-twin. Never thought of them that way. Is one a better motor than the other.

Chuck White

I'm pretty sure that you will like the extra horsepower!  :)  8)  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

I have a 16 HP but wish it were 20+ so if I were you I would get the 27 if you're satisfied about the weight difference. 

I actually think that it is cheaper in the long run to get more HP (up to a point). With my 16 HP engine I have to saw slowly thru a 20+ inch log forcing the band to flex around the wheels more than it would if sawing faster. So I expect that I have more band breakage than most sawyers with more power.\
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SawyerTed

Nobody ever has said, "This sawmill has too much horsepower."  Generally the more horsepower the greater the torque.  Engine torque is a band sawmill's key to keeping blade speed up when sawing wide or hard logs. 

The 27 will make a big difference.  I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

You have an old engine that is inefficient by today's standards and parts are getting scarce. The Command v twin is smoother, quieter, and better on fuel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

welderskelter

The v-twin I am watching says it is a 725 cc.    Its a CH705     Not sure but I think I seen it was a 27 hp.

bandmiller2

If your happy with what you have I would use it but buy the 27 as a backup, none last forever. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John Bartley

I have the CH25 Command on my mill.  It's now just over ten eleven years old, never a problem, quiet, powerful, starts every year without issue as long as I keep the fuel fresh and put it away for the winter with fresh fuel in it.  It gets fresh 15W40 synthetic and a new "long" Kohler oil filter and new Kohler air and fuel filters every spring.   It's never let me down.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Thank You Sponsors!