iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western red cedar

Started by mts enterprises, October 01, 2005, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mts enterprises

Can anyone tell me how much I could expect to pay for western red cedar in the central states? 

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

???? I got that same question today at a local sawmill show.  I told him the best place to get an idea of what WRC is selling for is to ask that question on the Forestry Forum.  I bet its the same person I spoke with today! 

Welcome aboard mts.

If its the same person I spoke with to day it lumber he is trying to get pricing info on. 

mts enterprises

Yes, it is lumber.   We are who you spoke with today. 

Brucer

Well, I'd sell you rough sawn WRC for $1000 to $1200 CDN per 1000 BF. Double that if you want clear cedar. Price is based on you picking it up and loading it at my site (just north of the Washington/BC border).

As of Friday, you're looking at paying $0.86 US for the Canadian dollar, but when you take it across the border, you'll probably get charged the (illegal) 27% tariff on softwood lumber. Figure on $1100 to $1300 US per thousand on your side of the border, plus shipping.

Frank or Gilman can probably give you a better number for made-in-the-US WRC.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kirk_Allen

Home Depot has it listed between $1.49 - $2.50 a BF. 

http://homedepot.bighammersoftware.com/ProductInfo.aspx?cid=817838&pid=c56a4044-4bf0-4aa9-bd24-68ea4ef6b196

http://homedepot.bighammersoftware.com/ProductInfo.aspx?cid=817838&pid=378e48e6-19cf-4c8f-a7de-4a55e7bda59a

I would price it to be competitive with the local market.  I have a bunch on hand but I am keeping it for my projects around the farm. 

Frank_Pender

mts., it is the grade that you are looking for that will help determin the cost.   Dimensions are also a very critical issue to the price.  Then, there is the shipping costs.  Most trucking outfits are charging an additional fuel sir charge for hauling and that in itself is in a constant state of flux. :'(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!