iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2017

Started by Magicman, October 01, 2017, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Here is a picture of the "tally" sheet that I started many years ago of my bucks .  Of course back in that day any buck with antlers over 4" were legal and quite frankly I was proud to get it.  Today's management makes us realize that we were taking the future instead of allowing them to mature.

I count 86.  I will allow the season to end this year without adding any more to the tally.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cbay

Those really nice 2.5 yr. olds were hard to pass on until i started to hold out for mature bucks and actually had some luck.   On the other hand tag soup never tastes all that great.  :-\    Which is what i had this year...
Nice buck you got there.

Banjo picker

Lynn whats your take on spike bucks?  Back in the 70's when I was reading every hunting magazine I could afford, the thought was that a spike buck was an animal with inferior antler producing gene's that would never make a real trophy.  If that is true, our state is saving the deer that need to be put in the freezer and letting them reproduce.  To be honest I havent read the hunting regulations for this year as I have not taken the rifle out of the case, but in some of the past years you were not supposed to legally take a spike.  I thought that with all the deer you have observed, maybe you have seen an identifiable spike that would prove or disprove that theory.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I see ~6 month bucks with spikes which to me is normal and OK.  I doubt that 1½ old spikes will ever amount to anything.  I saw 6" spikes this year, one even had a tiny fork right in the top of one antler.  They were clearly 1½ year old bucks that should have had a 6-8 point rack. 

I have taken out deer before that were clearly inferior.

I watched these two bucks their first year and when they showed up the second year with again one deformed antler and not much on the other side, I took them out.

Same with this character.

I doubt that this 6½ year old buck had ever been anything other than what he was here.

I also doubt that this year's 5½ year old buck had been or ever would have been an 8 point.

I agree with you, an inferior deer is just what he is and needs to be taken out.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Thanks for the reply and the informative pictures.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

coxy

I wish someone could explain that to NY state 

petefrom bearswamp

Years ago I shot a spike in the adirondacks.
The biologist that aged it for me said 2-1/2 yrs and commented that it was about the poorest specimen he had ever seen.
Of course the food there isnt the best nor the genes it seems in that particular area.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!