iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steer Question

Started by Raider Bill, August 07, 2018, 10:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

These are pastured by the guy that owns the land across from me in Tenn. His pasture is hard scrabble red clay with some weeds and grass at best. The heard never gets culled down or rotated so even in the best season the grass is short. He does drop a roll of hay weekly for 25 or so head. They never get grain.
They hang for the maximum of 14 days.

He sells me a calf for $100 and lets it stay with the heard until I'm ready to slaughter. I get a couple every 2-3 years. and let them go for 3 on his pasture.

This time I'm splitting one with another friend who's driving me crazy and his over thinking this process.

I generally get burger meat, cube steak, some roasts and stew meat. My friends planning on his freezer being filled with 3 inch USDA prime, marbled porterhouse and rib eye steaks. He's fixing to be disappointed.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

olcowhand

Raider Bill,
It sounds to me that you've done all you can to talk sense to your buddy, but he's got his own ideas.
You'll probably have to chalk this up to "No good deed goes unpunished."
The guy thinks he's doing something great, and maybe it will work out where he may have justification for that, even if it's in his own mind.
You're trying to do your friend a good turn, and I commend you. We need more folks like you in the world.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

For the sake of the friendship it might be best to just go with it and forget the extra expenses. When it turns out that he doesn't get what he expected then maybe he will listen and learn. If you don't go along he may blame you and do the "I told you so" thing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

I grew up on grass/hay fed beef.  We never fed anything else.  I much prefer grain finished these days.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Well he's so convinced that he went and bought another 500 pounds of beef builder. Buttercup's last day is the 19th.

I give up.
Just going with the flow now...

Maybe there will be some fat to put in the ground beef.
My cut list is, roasts, cube steak, stew meat and ground beef.

Southside

100 lbs of grain per day??? Is he trying to be the first guy to have a steer with a DA? Geesh.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

crowhill

I raise my beefers, Hereford and Hereford/Belted cross, on just grass and 2nd cut hay to at least 32 months. No grain or corn. They have always been plenty fat with good marble and put the Hamburg up at 85/15. Great flavor and tender. Fully Federal inspected and processed. Licensed and inspected to sell from the farm. In my mind and experience no additional fat producing feed is required, but must be at least 32 months of age.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Raider Bill

And he's off! Today will be his last day. Going to hang for 15 days.

olcowhand

Farewell, Buttercup- Until we "Meat" again....... (I know; we'll never "Meat", but I thought that would be a fitting send off).
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Raider Bill

1501 live weight, 852 hanging.

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Lots of great info on this thread.

From what I recall growing up in Texas,

1 - 4H cows are indeed the best (best steak that I ever ate came from one).  They've been hand fed their entire lives and the meat is incredible.

Other than 4H....

1- 6 - 9 months on "sweet feed" after being raised on grass.  Sweet feed is a mix of corn, oats, barley, molasses, etc

2 - have them hang for 30 - 45 days for the best flavor.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Southside logger on August 23, 2018, 09:44:20 AM
Did they grade it?
no grading.
They will only hang/age one for 15 days due to limited cold storage.

Thank You Sponsors!