iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It has started

Started by NHHillbilly, March 27, 2010, 09:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHHillbilly

Well Did my first real  job last weekend.  Went very well.  No big hiccups and customer was very happy.  Going back to finnish the Rest of the job tommorow.  Also am getting more work out of it from his freinds and family.  I love this,  it doesn't even feel like work when I am behind the controls so relaxing and enjoyable.  Thanks for all the info that this site provides.   Makes life alot easier.

Alex
LT40hdg28

campy

Great news.
Good for you.

What species of log are you cutting?

How did you price the job if you don't mind my asking?

zopi

If yer not doing what you love...yer doin' it wrong!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fishpharmer

Outstanding. 8) 8)

Always good to hear the first job went well.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

P.A. RESHARP

Congratulations  Hillbilly

ladylake

Just wait untill you get some crooked snarly things that some people call logs it won't be quite so relaxing. Most days it goes good but not always.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trailman

in 15 yrs it should start feeling like work. but you will still enjoy it.b :D

NHHillbilly

I have been sawing white pine and charged by the Bdft.  Trying to still figure out what exactly to charge.  Did ok with this one.  Got to the good logs today, but The customer was by himself tailing the mill so it was a little slower.  4 Nails today.  Switched over to my hardwood blades, wood was still partially frozen.  What a difference.  Night and day.  I am now going to try to get some pictures uploaded
LT40hdg28

NHHillbilly

LT40hdg28

Magicman

Yup, some days just work out better than others, but things have a way of averaging out.  Don't sweat the bad days.  It's still better than "working for a living"...... :D

Nice whack-o-logs.     8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Sawing along a road like that is a good opportunity to set out your sign. I was looking for your sawdust pile but it had moved to the wrong side of the mill. That was the right size stack of logs to get your feet wet with. Something to consider is how many trips you made to the truck with changing saws and all. The reason I ask is I have found that down time can be minimized by placing the back of the truck close to the head of the mill. As a personal preference I also like to off load from the end of the mill rather then the side, it just keeps the off bearer out of the way. Each job site will be different and setting up for the best flow can increase the production. Some places are just too tight to allow for efficient production but a walk around prior to bringing the mill on site can help to lay out a set up plan that will make the most of the site. Glad that you found a comfortable pace and are enjoying your freedom from work. Liked the pictures.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Alex,you done good,we all have to walk before we run.Most folks are understanding especially if they work with you,some don't have the foggiest about what it takes.I tell them I just cut it I can't create it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NHHillbilly

The truck was at the HEad of the mill for the morning and then I finnished up logs on that side so I had to pick up the front of the mill and Spin it 180*s.  It is definitely easier with the truck at the head of the mill.  I didn't mill all the logs.  It is the nephew of the customer.  He had a lumber list and we were able to cut the logs we needed to get the order done.  I now have more to cut.  Family of the home owner gave me a lumber list yesterday.  So after my tour at the firehouse I will go back and saw up his lumber.  Thanks for all the encouraging words and support.
LT40hdg28

woodmills1

Man, thats a good lookin mill you have got there :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!