iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wasn't ready for this

Started by woodmills1, September 24, 2014, 08:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

sent a 2 by spruce fletch through the twin blade edger and it stalled the motor.  That took and hour and 15 minutes to remedy.  I can only think the blades are too dull and spruce is is just the most obnoxious stuff on the planet, DanG it cuts 2 inch oak just fine.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

backwoods sawyer

A little electric chain saw works good for cutting spruce out of edgers ;D

We ran a lot of spruce so big we would have the veneer plant round them down to 42" our max cut size. That stuff was just plain hard on equipment.
Have had cants stuck in the 4" and 6" edger at the same time, carbide shop had a hard time keeping good saws in the edgers as about the time they would get a batch of saws down stairs another one would stick in one of the edgers. That stuff was heavy and broke a lot welds around the mill.   

I'll take Oak over Spuce any day  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Mill_Control

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 24, 2014, 09:25:44 PM
A little electric chain saw works good for cutting spruce out of edgers ;D

We ran a lot of spruce so big we would have the veneer plant round them down to 42" our max cut size. That stuff was just plain hard on equipment.
Have had cants stuck in the 4" and 6" edger at the same time, carbide shop had a hard time keeping good saws in the edgers as about the time they would get a batch of saws down stairs another one would stick in one of the edgers. That stuff was heavy and broke a lot welds around the mill.   

I'll take Oak over Spuce any day  ;D

I guess you're talking about gang edgers rather than board edgers?

We're running a gang that'll take a 10" thick cant. Would take a while getting pecan out of it with an electric chainsaw. That said I am tempted to try hardwired electric. At least it wouldn't get carried off or run out of gas. Seems most of the calls my guys take that need a chainsaw half the downtime is hunting down the saw and/or gas.

Our board edger a sawzall seems to work best for clearing it. Way easier to maneuverer inside the sawbox than a chainsaw.

backwoods sawyer

We went thru the where's the saw thing to ::)

Electric was always handy cause it was attached ;D

Could be not having enough down presure along with dull saws
If the saw started pulling the flitch while it was feeding thru plugging up the gullets and sticking the flitch, adding a bit of down presure on the top roll will help hold it to the rate of feed that you are running.

example: a 2" flitch feeding thru a four inch edger will pick up off the lower rolls as far as the top rolls will allow. Result is a bunch of rough looking 2x2 coming out of the edger gaining elivation as they slam into the backstop splintering into pieces that fall thru the chains to the chip convayor below :o 

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!