iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying lap siding

Started by Florida boy, January 05, 2018, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

When you guys make the Adirondack siding, I take it you do not taper saw it?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

I cut mine 3/4"x 8" to 10" wide. I sell a 2"x3/4" starter strip for the bottom of the wall. That kicks it out. I sell my full 2" lumber for the trim around doors and windows. That way you have a 1/2" reveal on the trim.
I tell my customers to only nail the top. [hang it] Then make a pencil line at the bottom of the board. Go look and see how far the wood is away from the mark. Week or two.  Make another mark.
When the wood stops moving, Nail the bottom with ring shank nails.
All W Pine.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Good idea Peter on the pencil mark.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeepWoods

So I have a question regarding hanging the lap siding green.  I built a garage last year, but haven't put any lap siding on it yet.  I did sheath it with 1/2" OSB, and there is Tyvek over the OSB to protect it till I get some siding on it.  My question is will I have moisture problems if I now hang the lap siding directly over the Tyvek?   My concern is there will be no way for the moisture to escape from the back side and will cause things to rot.  Don't know if it makes a difference, but it would be Red Pine lap siding cut 8" wide with a 2" overlap.  My gut says cut and dry then hang, but it would be nice to not have to handle the siding more than once.  What say you?
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: DeepWoods on January 09, 2018, 05:09:36 PM
So I have a question regarding hanging the lap siding green.  I built a garage last year, but haven't put any lap siding on it yet.  I did sheath it with 1/2" OSB, and there is Tyvek over the OSB to protect it till I get some siding on it.  My question is will I have moisture problems if I now hang the lap siding directly over the Tyvek?   My concern is there will be no way for the moisture to escape from the back side and will cause things to rot.  Don't know if it makes a difference, but it would be Red Pine lap siding cut 8" wide with a 2" overlap.  My gut says cut and dry then hang, but it would be nice to not have to handle the siding more than once.  What say you?

I generally like to let it dry for a bit,  but green works too if you put the nail in the right spot. Face nail 2 1/2" up from the bottom of the board with at least a 3" ring shank into the studs. It important to make sure you hit solid wood with each nail,  not just the osb.  Hand drive nails would be best.
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!