iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

There are probably a hundred little and big mods to sawmills we've posted here on the Forum – but they are scattered out over lots of threads and topics.  I thought I'd start a new thread just for ideas and mods on mills.   If you've posted a mod before that's buried out there some place,  please consider re-constructing the post here or posting a link back to it.

Here is a simple mod I made this morning.  Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

On the Wood-Mizer mill,  there is this plate about 5x6" that covers a cutout on the idler side of the blade housing.  Bless Wood-Mizer's heart,  they used 6 5/16x3/4" long plated hex bolts and nuts with locking inserts.  Quality stuff.  The plate itself looks to be 1/8" thick.  Plenty strong.

"As built" outside

"As built" inside

The problem is,  they assembled everything on the wrong side.  See...  The plate, nuts and excess bolt length is sticking inside the blade housing.  Ever struggle getting a broken blade out from behind one or more of these bolts sticking out?

I replaced the hex head bolts with button headed cap screws 5/16x1/2".  I replaced the plate on the outside and put the button heads on the inside.  That should make broken blade removal a little bet easier I'm a'thinking.

Changed plate to outside of housing.

"Inside of housing showing button head bolts.

The button head bolts were not exactly what I was looking for.  Plain pan head plated bolts 5/8" long would have worked better.  A gripping type flat head bolt would have worked even better.  But this is what I found at Westlakes.  Even using the existing hex head bolts and turning them around and moving the plate to the outside would achieve quite a bit of extra clearance.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gilman

Bibbyman,
Since I don't ever break blades I don't think I'll need to modify my mill  :D  I think I'll wait until I get one back there and can't get it out, cuss myself for not reworking the coverplate with button head bolts, kick the tires, and quit for the day.

On the other hand, I'm looking for suggestions on clamping short awkward pieces. I tried an I-beam bewteen the two manual back stops, It worked okay, but that only got me down to 8" from the deck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Fla._Deadheader

2 sacrificial boards for sawing short stuff. Lay 1 on the bunks for holding the piece, stand the other one up against the log stops to clamp against. You should be able to saw clear to the bunks, as long as there ae no weird knots or something stopping the clamping action.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Stump Jumper

I put an electric 12 volt  fuel pump in line for priming the 42 hp diesel engine when i change fuel filters or run it out of fuel.Pumping the manual leaver on the engine mounted fuel pump just dont get the job done.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Bibbyman

Good tip Stump Jumper,

Got any more details?

Like what kind of pump did you used - brand part number?

How did you hook it it the line and wire it up?  

Got any pictures?
Sawing since '94

BBTom

That is a fantastic idea S-J, I got so upset with that idiotic fuel filter being before the pump ( manual fuel pump does not suck vacuum worth a crap), that I just removed it and threw it away.  I swear I get better fuel economy now, and I guarantee that it is easier to reprime after running out of fuel.  

Two weeks ago, I was able to saw 7500 bdft of mostly 4/4 hardwood ( elm, ash, oak, hickory) some poplar, and a little pine, using only 10 gal of fuel.  I thought that was fantastic!  Love that kubota engine!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

jdunmyer

IF you have compressed air available, one of the easiest ways in the world to prime a filter is with a suction blowgun. That's what I've used on my VW Diesels "forever".

Just put it on the outlet side of the filter and suck until fuel comes out. Connect 'er up and go.

Best 2 mods I ever made was the hydrostatic carriage drive and the small chain hoist for log turning.

RMay

I put a R.V. level on the mill . I was always forgetting my hand Level when I as away form home. ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

EZ

jdunmyer, very interested about your hydrostratic drive. Pictures and more input would be greatly appreciated.
EZ

ronwood

ElectricAl,

I gather from the picture that you added an electric motor to the saw. Is that a correect statement?

Not done any mods to my mill yet since it is still under warrenty. Might add the mod to the loader arms that are now on the 2004 Woodmizer.

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

jdunmyer

EZ,
 There's some pics on my website that show the mechanical connections on my home-made hydrostatic drive. Details are as follows:

Small Char-Lynn motor, John Deere 450 bulldozer pump, 15Hp electric motor drive on the pump (I'm sure it doesn't need that much, but I also used to use the hydraulic unit for my log splitter), and a standard 4-way open-center valve. There's also a pair of back-to-back pressure relief valves right at the motor.

The initial trial was not good, the valve acted about like a light switch. I removed the valve spool and gently ground on the edges of the lands so the valve would start leaking (internally) as soon as the lever started moving. It took 2 or 3 trys to get it right, making sure to wash the valve spool thoroughly before reassembly. Coupled with the long lever on the valve, it now works just the way you'd want it to, it's very smooth and controllable.

See:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer

click on Sawmill

Stump Jumper

Got some pictures today hope this will explain things a little more for ya's.  

This picture shows a Napa fuel pump.  Sorry don't know a part number.  I salvaged it off an old pick up.

You can see that I don't have hose clamps on yet as it was a temporary test installation.

The fuel pump is mounted right under the fuel tank to an existing back panel bolt.

I ran jumper wires from the power terminals in the sylenoid box.

I open up the bleeder screws at the filters and run it until they get fuel.  Close the bleeder screws on the filters and open the bleeder screws on the injection pump until they get fuel.  Close the bleeder screws and I start the engine with the electronic fuel pump still running for a few minutes.  Then I shut it off  disconnect the fuel pump wires and we are good to go.  The engine fuel pump will now suck fuel through the electric fuel pump with no problems.  I suppose I ought to put some hose clamps on and wire a fuse and switch in.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ElectricAl

Ron,

Picture is worth a thousand words ;)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ElectricAl

Ok, here is a mod that might be more useful to the WM walkers.

It's a platform to stand on as the sawhead moves throught the cut.

It bolts to the lower cam follower mounts and goes under the battery box.

It's hard to see, but the bottom of the platform is 5" off the floor. This way you can walk if you want. Also, you won't hook your toes when walking past.

ElectricAl

Want to see our first attempt at not walking ;

We called it the Jolly Trolly

We used this off and on for over a year. The real downfall was the bearings broke at least every other month.
The Trolly would go into a high speed wable
(like your shopping cart)  then the wheel would fall off :o

DR_Buck

Electric Al,

Nice idea with the jolly trolly.   I assume that the electric version WMs don't have wheels?   To bad that won't work on the portable units..

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

A few ideas I'm considering for my LT40HD25:

Replacing the feed tube for the lubemizer with a longer tube that will follow the contour of the idler wheel when the blade guide is moved in and out.   This will keep the tube "UP" out of the way  and keep it from getting caught when trying to halve large cants.

The 2nd mod I'm considering is an idea courtesy of Rick, VA Sawyer.  And, that's add a second battery to power the hydraulic pump when the saw head is down the deck off of the electrical contact.  This will save lots of aggravation during those times when I discover I forgot to lower the clamp or dogs after I start the blade into the log.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Neil_B

This is a pic of my switch that I installed for the carraige return.
I don't use it when the mill is running at full speed but it works well when idling back. I can go clean things up a bit or get another log ready on the arms and not have to stand there to stop the return.
I still have the clamp holding it on because I'm playing with the location of it due to the fact that there is some drifting in the hydraulics when the power is cut off to it.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

ElectricAl

DrBuck,

You bring up a good point about the axle :o

It's been 8 years since we pulled ours off ;D

Guess I forgot about it ::)

Disregard :-/

Bibbyman

Talk about removing axles from under Wood-Mizer mills.  

There are a number of Wood-Mizer owners who have evolved from mobile sawing to stationary setups.  Removing the axle assembly is pretty straight forward as it's just held on by 4 bolts.  

BUT BEFORE YOU DO....  Get with Wood-Mizer on their recommendations of how to set up a stationary WM without the axle assembly.  The axle and tires on a mobile mill act as outriggers to prevent the mill from tipping over in case a large log hit the backstop too hard, etc.  

The support posts on stationary mills are different than mobile units.  They have plates with holes in them for bolting the mill to the floor.  The posts on a mobile unit could be used if plates are welded on and proper anchorage is done.

Link to earlier post showing how we set up stationary Wood-Mizer mill.

Sawing since '94

VA-Sawyer

I've made a number of mods to my mill since I got it. I have added the second battery as mentioned by Dr. Buck. I've also put on a tach and oil pressure guage. I've added a couple of micro switches on the clutch handle. One controls the water flow and the other keeps the engine from starting with the clutch engaged. I have it wired now so that the FWD/REV switch has to be in FWD and the clutch has to be engaged to get water on the blade. I use about half the water I used to use before the mod. I've also added 6 marker lights to the sides and backup lights on the back. That mill has had a few close calls while being pulled at night. I guess it was hard for other drivers to see it from the side. Shouldn't be a problem anymore.  Speaking of lights, I added a couple of spotlights so I can saw in the evenings during the wintertime.
Right now my mill is stuck in the woods at a customers site. With all the rain we have been having lately, my next mod might be a set of pontoon floats !
I will post some photos once I get it back home and cleaned up.
VA-Sawyer

Bibbyman

Maybe you need to add 4WD?   ;D
Sawing since '94

Tom

One easy thing to do is add lights to the mill trailer.  All the lights are for the benefit of the following traffic.  If you put a drop off of your running lights to a small indicator light, or even white, downturned spotlight, next to the tires,  you can see where they are when you are turning a tight corner at night.  A small indicator on either side of the head of the mill and a couple on the top of the head Posts will help you feel more comfortable too.  Just some little lights to help you determine where everything is at night. :)

Gilman

Here's a simple one.  After tearing off the original tube within five hours of use I decided it needed to be improved slightly.  I added a spring to keep the Lubemizer tube always pulled away from the log.

Here the guide is fully extended.  The lube tube is now a blue tube after replacement.

Here is the guide fully retracted and the hose stays away from the log.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!