iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood

Started by Bruno of NH, December 30, 2017, 05:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Yes Peter
Very little snow left on the ground
The rain and ice dam washed the end of my road out again :)
Still getting 2 loads of wood a day from the right of way cutting
Got some nice saw logs this week lots of oak
Been cutting and splitting lots of firewood to sell
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

I wish we could get $300 a cord up here. I've been selling mine for $180/cord CS&D, and folks aren't knocking my door down for it. There's too many firewood dealers, and too many uneducated firewood customers, IMO. A lot of folks don't buy their wood ahead of time, so they are looking for dry wood. A lot of local guys will advertise their wood as "seasoned oak, cut last winter and split this fall" well that isn't dry wood and I'm not advertising mine that I split this fall as dry when I know it's not. That's what you have to compete with, though. I've been mulling the idea of some sort of firewood kiln, so that I could advertise mine as dry, and whatever moisture content. That's the only way I can see to seperate myself from the split yesterday dry wood horde around here.
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

That "cut last winter and split this fall" scam is common around here as well. Unfortunately, a lot of homeowners don't really know what to look for. Some of them think they've got it covered by asking "when was this cut?" To which a seller can reply (sometime honestly reply) "a year ago". Long lengths just don't dry much
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Pclem

Quote from: barbender on January 14, 2018, 09:17:21 AM
I wish we could get $300 a cord up here. I've been selling mine for $180/cord CS&D, and folks aren't knocking my door down for it. There's too many firewood dealers, and too many uneducated firewood customers, IMO. A lot of folks don't buy their wood ahead of time, so they are looking for dry wood. A lot of local guys will advertise their wood as "seasoned oak, cut last winter and split this fall" well that isn't dry wood and I'm not advertising mine that I split this fall as dry when I know it's not. That's what you have to compete with, though. I've been mulling the idea of some sort of firewood kiln, so that I could advertise mine as dry, and whatever moisture content. That's the only way I can see to seperate myself from the split yesterday dry wood horde around here.

I believe presentation goes a long way with firewood. If a guy wants a premium for firewood, don't just tell the folks on craigslist, show them. [ If it's really worth a premium ]. Not many guys go the extra mile for quality firewood.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Bruno of NH

I supply good pictures on my adds for the firewood
I also sell 1/3 of a cord loads they sell ,some folks are on a limited budget .
I do carpentry work in a condo community and 1/3 of a cord loads work because the wood fits in the entry wood shed.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

TKehl

Around here, a lot of people want the recently cut and split stuff because it "looks nicer".  Bright wood where the bark is still attached.  Not all faded grey like the stuff that is really seasoned.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

John Mc

Quote from: TKehl on January 14, 2018, 08:21:21 PM
Around here, a lot of people want the recently cut and split stuff because it "looks nicer".  Bright wood where the bark is still attached.  Not all faded grey like the stuff that is really seasoned.   :D

Do you have an issue with chimney fires in your area?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

4x4American

Quote from: TKehl on January 14, 2018, 08:21:21 PM

Maybe that's why I can't seem to sell any of my old looking slabwood.  Maybe I'll have to S1S it lol
Boy, back in my day..

TKehl

Fewer than I might expect.  Though there is usually a mobile home or two that burns each year.  (Really, not trying to be sterotypical.)

Of course, the guy that installed our outdoor furnace told us to throw a cup of diesel in it once a week and we wouldn't have to worry about creosote.   :D 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

4x4American

Quote from: TKehl on January 14, 2018, 10:18:30 PM
throw a cup of diesel in it once a week and we wouldn't have to worry about creosote.   :D

Wonder if that'd work in a woodstove eh?
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

never heard of the diesel trick for creosote.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

x2 cfarm
My classic burns hot at each damper opening
I dont even look at the chimney after heating season anymore.
Used to get about 2 cups of stuff when I did.
My wood is all at least 2 years dry.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

It's good to see your firewood niche working out Bruno.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I found a splitter a Huss Abe Lincoln for $150 that needed a engine a friend had one and got all running for an other $100 it runs good
I'm going to use this for now

Holmes

I have a 1hp electric Super Splitter. I bought it used it is now more than 12 years old. It works great, and it's quiet.
Think like a farmer.

Bruno of NH

some more pics
a cord of ash going out in the dump
racks loaded for sale by the road
I'm going to start bagging some as a test I do sell bagged kindling

Kwill

Do you sell to the stores that have the little bundles for sale?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Bruno of NH

I have a kindling stand by the road and folks in the area know I have a good product so they stop over and buy
It's the honor system and I do have some that take and not pay
I have a camera up now I can't wait to see who it is

Bruno of NH

I once had a snowplow customer who was a bragging Coco Butter not pay me for 2 years
One year while moving snow with 10 wheelers his yard some how got filled with snow one night

barbender

I love those stories of no pay dead beats getting their just deserves👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Bruno of NH

He's since taken a wide path around me :)
I will help anyone out in need and do it
I have a hard time with the Coco Butter's stepping on folks :)

Kwill

A local guy was selling wood and he said the other day he took a load and delivered it and after he got it unloaded they said they didn't have the money to pay. Guess he left it and was promised to get payed. I would have loaded it back up and prolly said some pretty mean things to the people.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

barbender

I probably would've loaded it up too. If you need the charity, at least be courteous enough to let me know beforehand so I can decide if I'd like to help.

47sawdust

Bruno........What is a Coco Butter? ....I want to know who to avoid. say_what say_what
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

They wear gold chains and man fume
Spray tans and paint their toe nails :)

Thank You Sponsors!