iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinks that go eek eek in the Dark

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2012, 11:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A Few minutes ago I shined the spotlight out the backdoor of the cabin to the bird feeder to see what the temperature outside was, as the thermometer is on the bird feeder post. We spotted thsi little guy. First thought, seeing only his head, that it was some big mouse of some kind. Once he came out, Lynda and I saw he was a Flying Squirrel! Got some video of him acting like a squirrel but none acting like a bird. Here is a still shot of him. Pretty cool to see something you don't get to see very often. Have I mentioned before that I love being at the cabin? :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Flying Squirrels are very cute. I used to see them in my bird feeder at night. They weren't very afraid of me... just skittered around behind the feeder.
They weren't quite as cute when I discovered they were living in the soffit of my house just above the feeder. Even less cute when I saw some 'goop' on that wall in the attic and the tunnels in my insulation. Believe I have them blocked out now and I got bird feeders that squirrels can't land on  ;D

The coolest thing was when they still lived there, I banged on the soffit with a stick at dusk and watched ten of the things launch from the very peak of the house (20 feet above the deck) and scatter in the trees.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Norm

We used to have them in our area when I was little, not sure why but they are no longer around. I was camping in Missouri once and they were thick there, really enjoyed seeing them.

Cypressstump

I cut down an old rotten fence row oak tree once on my friends property, When it hit the ground the rotted section burst open, we caught 8 little fliers that was holed up in that tree.  They are neat little creatures.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

It's nice to see something that is so secretive.   :)

Quote from: Jeff on December 06, 2012, 11:55:45 PMHave I mentioned before that I love being at the cabin? :) 

I know the feeling.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

One morning Patti walked into the living room. There was a flying squirrel on a curtain. She comes to me and says there is a lemur in there!  :D Another time was in the winter. I was walking down a hall and there was one sitting in the carpet and it appeared to be hibernating. I moved him to a storage room and never saw it again.

WmFritz

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 07, 2012, 07:10:11 AM
They weren't quite as cute when I discovered they were living in the soffit of my house just above the feeder. Even less cute when I saw some 'goop' on that wall in the attic and the tunnels in my insulation.

I've got the same problem going on.  whiteflag_smiley   My house is two stories with rough-sawn cedar siding. A few years after I built it, I found out that not only does cedar siding require regular maintainance but, woodpeckers love it. sling_shot. Once they had a couple  holes opened up, I had bees move in. I got them  out and the bats set up house. Took awhile but, I finally got the bats out and into the new bathouse I built them. 8) 

Shortly after, my wife woke me up one night and said it sounded like there were animals in the wall having a party. So, the next day after work, up went the extension ladder. As soon the ladder hit the house, a head popped out of the hole.  I banged the ladder a couple more times and my new squatter come out, ran up to the top of the chimney and jumped. The squirrel swooped down near my head and glided back up into a tree. I knew from all the racket the night before that he had friends still hiding out. I grabbed momma from the house and told her ''watch this''. As soon as I  rattled the ladder, number two popped out and followed the escape route of the first. In all, I got six out before I patched up the hole.

Over the last fifteen or twenty years the cycle has repeated a few times. Birds, bees, bats and then flying squirrels. help_me.  A couple nights ago the boss said it sounded like a new party at the other end of the house. Guess the ladder's coming out tomorrow  >:( >:( >:(
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

bedway

We have 2 trees about 20 feet outside our door. Hanging in those two trees are to bird feeders. We have 5 flying squirrels trying to claim ownership of those feeders after night sets in. In the evening when we put the dogs out youd think it was world war III out there. Dogs barking trying to climb the trees. Squirrels coming down just far enough to antaginize the dogs yet the dogs cant reach them even when they jump. I had to go out the other night to get the dogs to calm down and come in and then the dang squirrels started on me. Picture this,,,,,,,,man calls 911 while being attacked by squirrels.   :D

Den Socling

We have a lot of squirrels and a lot of black walnuts around our house. I just love it when I'm laying in bed and a squirrel goes running across the ceiling, drops a nut and it goes rolling. Patti gets up and pounds on the ceiling but that works for only a few minutes.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They're pretty good with dumplings......I mean all threads turn to food...... digin_2

My Grandmother used to make sone GREAT Squirrel and dumplings.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Paul_H

Any of her grandkids turn out squirrely?  :P ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

We have flying squirrels, although I have never seen them mostly because I don't prowl around at night outside as a general rule. Might walk smack into a moose. :D Once in a while maybe in winter to look at the night sky or something. But anyway...I've had to set up the trap line here at the house for red squirrels. I've caught 3 now in a couple weeks and I just saw another in the wood pile outside today so I set the rat trap a 4th time. I have to exterminate once every 2 or 3 years. I'm like Al_Smith in the middle of Potato fields, but those darn things find their way into my 4 acre yard one way or another. :D

I've also had real honey bees, once in the flu in 2009 and now I have a hive of them in my yard maple for the winter. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

drobertson

cute lil critters, just hope they stay on the outside!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mooleycow

A kid brought one to to grade school back in the day.  Cute little fellow.  Surprised he didn't bite.  Couldn't do that today.  Had a mouse pushing on the bathroom door trying to get out.  Grabbed the .22 and shot him thru the neck when he showed again.  Little lead slug went into the pine floor and never showed(wife wa

treefarmer87

i have seen 2 this year in the day time, when i was felling trees. they are something to see when the fly/glide :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Well I got that 4th red squirrel over the weekend. The ravens have to eat to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

We have them in our cabin, the problem is they knock everything off of the shelves and poop on all of the counters  >:(
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

Flying Squirrels are like lots of things, cute and annoying to have around!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!