iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need drill press recommendation

Started by Brad_bb, January 30, 2011, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I deleted this as I was looking on Mcmaster carr at drill presses and realize that I need to figure out if I need industrial or not.  I've got an upcoming metal project that may require industrial, that is if I don't get the job farmed out.... so I don't need a recommendation for now until I determine my requirements more.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

Something like this? I've only moved it ten times with the pallet jack. If you send me a lot of stamps, I'll try to get it in the mailbox. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

H60 Hawk Pilot

I'd do a Craig's & Ebay seach in your local area. You can find a USA drill press but have to wait a few months (most iof the time) to find one. Another choice is a machine shop or related type company that's going out of business. Check the local adds and see what comes up.

I have three import models, two with 5/8 size chucks and the 3rd is a Craftsman with angle head and 1/2 inch chuck. All three are change the belts for  4 different speed changes. My two larger drills have No# 2 or 3? Morse taper spindles and nice to use when drilling heavy iron with large (1 in. + up) straight shank Morse drill bits; No slippage and tearing the chuck fingers and the drill bit shanks up. I have a large Radial Arm Drill with muti-angle drill base and it's 5 or 7 1/2 HP, 3 phase power and a beast (like the one pictured above).

If your not into a lot if useage on a daily basis.. a china drill press may work for you.  I like Jet and Grizzy china stuff.  A older USA model drill press with quick change gear box (no belts) will cost about $ 500.00 to $ 2,000. It all depends on what you find out there and the selling situation and drill press condition.  

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

scsmith42

I have an Ellis (that I bought new) and I am very pleased with it.  Mine has the power downfeed and vise options and it works great in metal.

http://www.ellissaw.com/Drill-Presses/43/drill-press-9400

Their bandsaws are top notch too.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

We have an Ellis bandsaw as well. You can see the roller table for it under that pile of tarps. About two miles away is a fab shop that has the same saw that has been in production use for many years without any trouble.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

H60 Hawk Pilot

I like the Look of that Ellis Line and better yet.. the recomendation's from the folk's that own them.

I did not see the price's on the web site... I guess you call them ?
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

SwampDonkey

Of course my needs are different than yours Brad. I always thought it would be nice to have a drill press, but can't think of many times I ever really needed it over the years. But, what I would really like is a free standing mortise cutter. Not the bench top ones, I have never read a very good review of those nor the drill press kits. They just don't have the brute strength. Anyway, I know that's not much help to ya. ;) Father had a drill press and it sat unused for 25 years. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I have one of these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948

I've been quite happy with it: drilling holes is much easier with a drill press
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Just Me

I have two Walker-Turners, old iron that was good in its day and even better now. There are a lot of tools that got better over the years, but drill presses for the most part are not one of them. I paid $100 for one and $250 for the one with self feed and a threading setup.

From what I have seen, avoid the chinese junk, unless you really want a mediocre machine that will work just good enough that it will pith you off for years. I have a chinese floor model that I use for cutting plugs, and I still may smash it with a sledge before it is all said and done. Next time it drops the chuck..........

SwampDonkey

99.99% of my drilling needs are free-hand. You can't drill pilot screw holes too easily in a piece of furniture during assembly unless you suspend it some place. And that would be interesting. Yes it would come in handy boring holes in chairs, but I don't built chairs. :D

Father's was never used, because he wasn't about to torch off a piece of steel from a harvester to go to a drill press. Pilot holes in steel and speed belts had to be drilled in place on the machinery. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I would avoid the imports as well. They just arent what their cracked up to be. I know Grizzley frequently stops stocking parts for their presses after a few years. I called and asked once about some parts for a "not too old" machine from them. Also, some older machines are hard to get quill bearings for, for instance the Rockwell Delta DP220's have a very funny looking upper quilll bearing (has two extensions on the race) and it is no longer available, so if you find one of those insure the quill bearing is good. I have a good one here, floor model, about 1960, morse #3 I think, speed vairable via belt changing. Heavy fluid table w/ gear to raise and lower.  $350.If you find one w/ the gearing for the table insure it works, the gears are also obsolete.

One of the nicer medium duty drill presses are the older Powermatic 1100 and 1200 series. I have one each of these, the 1200 is heavier and has a power feed option (not all do). I paid 400-600 for these and they are worth every penny of that. Also, a later model Clausing is a good press. Like 1970-90 series. Also, there are some nice Buffalo's out there, dont remember the model, perhaps 180?

Happy hunting, I could NEVER get along without my presses.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Just Me

I used a new Clausing the other day and it was a very nice drill press. I checked out the speed control, very nicely made. If I was thinking new it would be one I would look hard at. I think they are made in Kalamazoo Mi., but am not sure 100%.

Chris Burchfield

I have a 25 year old Craftsman I just replaced the 5/8" heavy chuck on.  Ordered new belts and chuck through Sears.  Parts came in 3 - 5 days to my home.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Thank You Sponsors!