iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw bellies

Started by canopy, May 24, 2014, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canopy

I found it interesting even after so much layout work in this video that the saw cut was not flat and had a belly in it. What exactly causes saw bellies and how do you eliminate them from occurring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNHXdDUPeU

beenthere

Guess I'd suspect the sharpness and/or the set in the saw teeth, or the sawing technique and how close to swing in one plane. Noticed some movement in the work piece that bugged me a bit. I like to keep it solid and not rocking back and forth when using a handsaw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

canopy

I would guess swinging off plane because I tend to see them more on angle cuts that are slightly harder to judge than perpendicular cuts. Knots can sometimes contribute.  Surprised to see the indifference in the video when it happened and lack of responses here. Having a belly can require extra cleanup work. Or in severe cases it can make sawing too tight to continue due to friction from bend in the blade. Sure would be nice if there are some techniques to minimize them.

beenthere

QuoteSurprised to see the indifference in the video when it happened and lack of responses here.

Don't take it too hard, as likely there are not many readers using a hand saw to cut timbers and not many who worry about "belly" if they do get it.
I'd still say technique using the saw (maybe even the pattern of sawing the corners) and set/sharpness of the teeth of the hand saw. Have to take it for granted that when you say it is "sharp" that it is the best it needs to be.

You did good posting a video of your work in Thailand.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!