iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2014 Fire Fighting Unit-South Carolina-Wildland Fire

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 07, 2013, 06:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Picked up my new unit Thursday. Everything is computers.
The truck is a International Road Star and the dozer is a Caterpillar D4K2. This is the smaller unit in our fleet built for mountain and rough terrain.

Our Forestry shop or Caterpillar can log into a data base and check all the temps and pressures as I am working.
Amazing.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Is that something to push trees over on the back or to drag?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 07, 2013, 06:21:21 PM
Is that something to push trees over on the back or to drag?

On the back is a plow. When I drop it on a fire, I'm able to plow a 6 foot wide fire break with it.

This is our first EPA tractor. Glass cab, AC, Heat, AM-FM stereo with phone and i-pod hook up, heated seats, heated hand controls, Wind shied wipers and a Hydrostatic transmission.

Hilltop366

You will be able to put some nice rows in your garden with that.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

LaneC

That is sweet. Glad to see you getting the equipment yall need to do a valuable service
Man makes plans and God smiles

beenthere

That has gotta be some fun to make fire line with.

Sure beats the old days of 10 to 20 guys in a line with hand tools scratching out a fire line. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 07, 2013, 06:46:54 PM
Who pays for all that ?

:D :D
Surely you are pulling our leg.   ;)

I'd think the exhaust stack would be integrated with the ROPS and not sticking above where a tree/low limb could cause it some problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2013, 06:43:10 PM
That has gotta be some fun to make fire line with.

Sure beats the old days of 10 to 20 guys in a line with hand tools scratching out a fire line.

We still do that on Federal land. Regulations say federal land can not have fire fight equipment on it. Everthing must be done by hand.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sonofman

The State, which means You and I and Okrafarmer and all the others here in SC. You sure get to play with some nice toys, Poston.
Located due west of Due West.

clww

Beats living in an ash tray after a wildfire.

Great pictures, David. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on December 07, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
Beats living in an ash tray after a wildfire.

Great pictures, David. :)

Ain't that the truth Chief!  :D

Buck

Very nice. Those Fesco plows do make a sweet line. Does your cab A/C have the charcoal filters? Our JD650's did and they work well.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on December 07, 2013, 09:53:25 PM
Very nice. Those Fesco plows do make a sweet line. Does your cab A/C have the charcoal filters? Our JD650's did and they work well.

Yes.

WDH

I need to plow some fire lines for my prescribed burning this season.  Get that thing down here.  You know the directions. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

Nice set-up! Glad to see new equipment showing up. I've played that game and you guys have all my respect.

Allan

Magicman

I would love to see you in that Cat cab.  I'll bet that it makes you look better.   ;D

That is a nice ride.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2013, 10:29:45 PM
I would love to see you in that Cat cab.  I'll bet that it makes you look better.   ;D

That is a nice ride.   smiley_thumbsup

Can't see me....the windows are tinted.  :D

hardtailjohn

Quote from: justallan1 on December 07, 2013, 10:19:58 PM
Nice set-up! Glad to see new equipment showing up. I've played that game and you guys have all my respect.

Allan

Same here, Allan. Spent way too many hours on a D5 or 6, no cab, no air, just a bandanna and a hard hat. 
Nice setup PostonLT40HD...but that's a bit scary that they can log in and see what everything's doing, when you think of it!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Brucer

Money well spent. Don't think so? Go spend a day on a wildfire with a suppression crew. Guaranteed it will change your mind.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Migal

:) Sweet the Orange fever went Cat Yellow!  8) 8) 8)
:snowball: I'll be nice L8R for now the ribbing Yes every man on here want's to play with your toy's! Don't tell the Ladies.  :D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Peter Drouin

That thing would be handy. I spent over 10 years fighting wildfires with an Indian tank and shovel  :D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

snowstorm

i bet its a thrill ride getting that dozer up on that truck body. is it all steel ? there are sides thats good.

Thank You Sponsors!