iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free black walnut.

Started by Cguignard, November 17, 2013, 07:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cguignard

I have a buddy that has a good size black walnut that he will let me have if I help him take it down.  It is making a mess on his card and denting there roofs.  Going to go and look at it today and bringing a metal detector.  But I have never sawed walnut before, sawed a fair amount of pine and hemlock and a few oaks on my norwood mark 3, I have been using lenox c sharp blades .042 at 10 degree. Should I continue to use these in the walnut and oak or is there something better?  Thanks, and of course pictures will follow! These are a few pictures of some large pine I did on that little mill.

Magicman

Yup, we will look forward to watching you saw it.  You look cold wherever you are.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cguignard

I sawed out this pine last January and learned a lot. But the members of the forum have been a great source of information for me.

WDH

I have cut a lot of walnut on .042 10 degree blades.  They will work just fine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solomon

Try to stay up wind so you are not breathing the saw dust.  Walnut is not real healthy for you.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Cguignard

Went to look at the tree and it is close to two houses and a garage, told my buddy that if he wants to cut it we will need a bucket truck and to have the power company cover a set of lines.  But it looks doable from a truck only small branches that we can cut in sections then once the branches are off cut the trunk and get to sawing, lot of work, but for me black walnut in not a very common wood.  Thanks for the warning about the walnut dust i think I will get some dust masks, I have allergies and asthma.

beenthere

Somehow that tree in the pic doesn't look like a black walnut. Did you see walnuts on it or under it?

The leaves don't look like walnut either, but may have blown in from another tree.... 

Where are you located?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jmouton

I  am not the most knowledgeable person in the world but I agree with  beenthere  it does not look like black walnut at all  ,  just sayin  ,, 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

The tree is opposite branched.  It is most likely ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I see one broken limb pointing down toward the white car.  ::) Better call GEICO.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

It is definitely not a walnut, but we can't discount the nuts hitting the house and the car. Not an Ash either. WDH...what other tree is opposite branched and drops nuts? has the silhouette of a silver maple but the leaf color is not right. Maybe the OP can get some pics of the twigs, leaves and bark?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hunz

Its not looking like a black walnut to me either, the bark is too smooth and not near dark enough
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

okmulch

Looks like a maple to me. Maples are also opposites.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

kensfarm

Cguignard

To be honest I am calling it a walnut because that is what my buddy has told me.  I have not seen any nuts and the leaves look a little to wide to be walnut.  The tree is in Maine and walnut is not to common.  Could this tree be some type of chestnut? I will try to go and get a picture of a leaf. Going off what my buddy said it is producing nuts about the size of a walnut, the husks were smooth and the leaf is not a maple, and the bark is very hard.  thanks again

WDH

If sure looked opposite branched, but maybe it is not.  There are no nut trees that are opposite branched.  So, if it is not opposite branched, sounds like it could be a hickory. 

Weekend_Sawyer

Fire up the BBQ, that's a lot o smokin wood!  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

It's gotta be "very valuable".   :D

Personally even if it was Walnut, I do not see anything really worth sawing.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

If you're helping a friend, then I suppose the type of tree doesn't matter too much. But if you'll be working for saw logs, Then I think its a win/lose situation...he wins, you lose. If its a hickory, there are better trees out there that will make much better lumber, though I hasten to add that I have made great lumber from worse trees.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JohnM

Quote from: Cguignard on November 18, 2013, 07:07:16 AM
The tree is in Maine and walnut is not to common.
:D :D I guessed you were in Maine just by the garage! ;D  It's so Maine.  Course I didn't call before you said it so it doesn't count. :(  Where abouts in Maine?  I can't really help with the id, looks like red maple to me but that doesn't explain the nuts. ???  If your a woodworker and it's free* there may be something worth sawing up in the butt.  I'm guessing there is a bunch of metal in that thing though!  Excellent firewood though!!

*renting bucket truck ain't exactly free

You can keep the two cents. ::) :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Every Mainer should have this book.
http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/publications/handbooks_guides/forest_trees/index.html

I think $15.
It helps help on the latin names. Saying it's a white pine tree is diffeant here than 500 miles away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cguignard

I am in Lewiston, I have been a hobby woodworker for years, I got the sawing bug when I helped clear a lot for my families camp lot, we had red oak the we brought to be sawed and used it all in the camp.  The pictures of me sawing pine are from last winter I was sawing them to use in a new house I am having built, I am planing to make pine t&g and trim.  And I know it is not a great money making thing, but to have some different wood on hand for project, would be kind of neat.  I know there will be metal in one of the buts, ran a metal detector over it and one spot hit,  but I have a blade that I have hit nails with so I think I'll open her up with that.  And we have all helped buddies for less, At least he is willing to do it right and rent a bucket truck and having the power company wrap the lines. Thank everyone for all the input you guys are great!

thecfarm

I'm heading that way in a few minutes. Wife has a Dr appointment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

You didn't mention whether your are bonded and insured for tree service work, or what your level of experience in a bucket truck is.  Personally, I would tell a buddy that I'd be doing him a favor to NOT cut that tree.  It could wind up being way more expensive than hiring a tree service.  Once it is on the ground, you can determine whether there is anything you can use.  Norwood makes a tough little mill, and they still support the older sawmills.  I've been running one for a couple of years, and been very pleased.  Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

boxygen

I bet that is butternut. There are not many of them around but you do see them once and a while. Black Walnut is not native. It would have had to be planted there, also highly unlikely. The only black walnut tree that I ever saw in Maine was one that my dad planted in the backyard, that he brought back from my grandfathers house in Ohio. Butternut looks like that and does drop butternuts that look like walnuts. Butternut is a pretty wood though if you can get your hands on it.
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

Thank You Sponsors!