iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Coop for the Girls

Started by Dad2FourWI, November 20, 2013, 10:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2FourWI

Hello All,

Compared to some of the awesome sheds/barns/buildings that everyone else is posting.... well, I feel kindof "cheeky" posting this... but here goes!

The girls (27 chickens and two ducks) needed some new "digs" for the Winter!!! (that, and to keep a black bear from bothering them!!!)

We milled all of these 3x6's from dead-standing Red Pine on the farm... this was what I was doing when I hurt my back!!!! <groan>

We ran out of time (it started to snow today here in central Wisconsin) so we decided to just use a bunch of flitches/slabs for the roof, covered by a tarp.

Lots of 3x6's to choose from... (and we still ran short!!! - go figure!)

The "plan"...

Foundation ready

Here we go....

Nest boxes ready...

Almost ready for the girls... (temporary roof!)

There is nothing more rewarding than to harvest a tree that was destined for bugs and rot and to turn it into something useful... in this case a new chicken coop!!!

What fun!   :)

Cheers!,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Wow! So far my coop has kept out foxes, et. al.,  but bearproof - that's a new high standard. Keep us posted. I want to see the window and door. NICE JOB.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Gasawyer

Very nice coop! Gives me some ideas. Hope the girls liked it!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

glenn molenaar

dboyt

Here in Missouri, that would be a tornado shelter!  Nice design.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WDH

The girls will be tickled.  That thing is stout.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

that looks great! we would like one too!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

There's a building that would look real nice with some wooden shingles for a roof.  That looks nice.
I put some of those hinges that closes the door for me. I found some cheap at a yardsale.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdamT

That is one heavy duty chicken house! It looks great.

How are your 3x6s fastened together?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Chuck White

Looks to be very solid, nice job!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dad2FourWI

Thanks all for the kind words!!!!

My father used to call us (him and myself) "nothing but a bunch of wood-butchers" as we built and maintained the buildings on the farm... but we are slowly improving!! :)

We placed some vertical supports inside the walls at the corners and all openings (trap door, nest boxes, window, etc) so that if/when one of the wall boards rotted out, we could back out the 5" deck/timber screws and replace the bad beam - and not have to get into taking the whole thing apart to remove a bad "bottom" board!!!

We are kindof new to this whole bear-thing too.... I have lived here for 50 years and never saw a bear... until about two weeks ago... and s/he was _not_ small!! Standing right alongside the existing coop - AFTER having already smashed two fences to get into the yard and then into the girls' area!!!

We yelled at it and it very slowly smashed the fences again on the way out... we had another visit two nights after but still all beaks and bills are accounted for...

Today we will add a sliding door... not exactly in keeping with the "rustic look"... but highly functional.

-Dad2FourWI

Skoalbandit78

Great job, a new chicken coop is on my honey do list also. I am not about to show yours to my wife, then she will expect something that nice. Keep up the good work.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

Very neat, I know my chickens wish their coop was that nice. Funny story, just got home at 8:00pm and saw 2 hens out.....very unusual so I proceed to the coop to find my first possum in it. Two broken eggs, one sacrificed chicken and one nasty dead mean possum. If I could only rig up an automated closing coop door I would be in business.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

jmouton

thats really kool  ,  i think it will keep the bears out , hopefully
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

5quarter

The big bad wolf ain't gonna be blowin that down. Great work!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

I like it! bonified heavy duty, but I reckon up yonder not a bad idea. Pretty and coops really have not been associated in the past, but this one should really stand out,  nice work,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

manoverboard

Wow! A bit wider and you could use it as a hunting cabin! Nice work...
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

YellowHammer

The girls should be so happy that they will have eggs dropping out every few minutes :D

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

That's certainly a coop de ville. Prehaps some electric fence wire around the coop would discourage that bruin.Bad comes to worse snap that bear most states allow you to protect your livestock. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Finn1903

no better feeling then building something with wood you milled yourself

nice job!
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Dad2FourWI

Thanks all for all the kind words!!!!

This is pretty small compared to some of the buildings other FF members are making... but I agree.... it is so neat to see this coop and know that all these logs were destined to lay in the woods for the "bugs and slugs" to feast upon!!! Red Pine (Norway Pine) does not last long once the bark beetles are done with them!!!!!

We installed the sliding door and the girls will have to deal with a temporary roof for the winter... made of flitches and a tarp. The fun part is... in the morning, when we go to open the door of the new coop.... it is WARM inside!!! So the girls must be happy!

Here are a few random pics of the girls and one of the fence after the bear was done with it....

Nest boxes ready for eggs....

Sliding door ready for "Raider" the bear!

Maisy and Chuck (the chick who wanted to be a duck!)

One of the girls - an Araucana

Another - a Buff Orpington... and a Barred Rock hiding below...

"Raider" (the bear) was here!!!

Tomorrow........ we go to look at a LT 40 with HYDRAULICS...... :)

Take care,
-Dad2FourWI

beenthere

QuoteNest boxes ready for eggs....

And the cart ready to haul them off....   ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I always like the Araucanas. I just feel that you seen one Barred Rock, or RI Red you have seen them all. The Araucanas always seemed to look diffeant,no 2 a like. Not the best layers this time of year here in Maine. There are fair weather fowl.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dad2FourWI

LOL!!!!!!

You are too correct!!!!!

It was cold here in central Wisconsin today.... even with the nice new "digs".... we harvested only two eggs today.... and BOTH were from the ducks!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Go figure! - no matter, they taste great too!!! (thanks Maisy and Gildy!!!)

-Dad2FourWI

bandmiller2

If you plan to sell eggs you don't want arucanas folks are real suspicious of green eggs.Used to have a flock of indian runner ducks they would lay an egg a day without fail. Frank C.

chevytaHOE5674

In the last 12 months we have sold just shy of 800 dozen eggs all a mixture of brown, white, and green and we have never had a negative comment about the color. In fact most people are just thrilled when they open the cartons and see the variety of colors inside.

bandmiller2

Chevy,you have customers that know,mine were suburban yuppies that were nervous of anything that didn't come from a super market. Frank C.

Magicman

:)  I was hoping for a rear picture.   smiley_thumbsup

I appreciate your statement about making something out of nothing.  Your project was recycling junk logs into something of value in the truest form.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

bandmiller,I have one better than that. I use to sell eggs to city people at work. Had one guy that insisted I feed the fowl organic feed. I use to sell my eggs for $1.50 about 10 years ago.I told him I can do that. The price of eggs will be $3.00. He gave me the look. I knew what was coming. I'm all set,don't bother and walked off.  ::)  :D  They did like all the diffeant colors of eggs. I had a bunch of diffeant girls,some might not of been the best egg producers,but I like to see the differant breeds.
And I never had trouble with bears,but had trouble with all of the other much smaller 4 legged critters. Seem like I had to build something like Fort Knox,spend $500 to get $100 worth of eggs.  :D

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on November 26, 2013, 08:06:47 AM
:)  I was hoping for a rear picture.   smiley_thumbsup
Dad2FourWI, please, please, PLEASE post a pic of a chicken backside!  ;D ;) :D :D

The coop looks great! :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

papow22

Wow!!!!,Now that is a chicken coop of platinum chicken coops .I notice the dirt floor very good,also just another ?, what kind of watering have you got.For I use a plastic 50 gallons roughly sit on a stand enclosed with a electric light & then it is connected to calf water,I used a short chunk of garden hose.I closed it from the chicken area also my feed bind is besides it.I separated the chickens from water tank with a chicken wire fence Then the heat from the chickens keep everything in working order.I also put straw in the boxes in the winter time also on the floor and also I used a small tree to make a roost for them to sit on and they like it better than boards.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

arnold113

Nice looking chicken digs, Dad2four. If you build that nice of a chicken coop then maybe I should get you to build my next home. It would be a fort knox. NICE!!!
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Thank You Sponsors!