iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer site diagrams?

Started by TGS, November 24, 2013, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

Anyone have a good pictorial to show customers the ideal saw site?  I know every portable miller deals with terrible customer sites, but I'm going to print up some fliers to pass out during some demo days. On these fliers I want to include a diagram so they get an idea of how I need the logs positioned.

Many thanks for anything you might have to share.

pnyberg

The diagram I have on my website is rather specific to a WM LT40, but you are welcome to copy and use it if it fits you situation (http://www.ctlogs2lumber.com/MillingSiteLayout.html). 

I have found that the diagram is only occasionally useful in educating customers, and I have never milled with that specific setup.

--Peter
No longer milling

Tom the Sawyer

TGS,

You should find one that works well with your mill (add more info to your profile).  I drew this one up for my brochure/website.  It apparently works since I have found it copied on other websites.   smiley_mellow

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: TGS on November 24, 2013, 01:21:50 PM
Anyone have a good pictorial to show customers the ideal saw site?  I know every portable miller deals with terrible customer sites, but I'm going to print up some fliers to pass out during some demo days. On these fliers I want to include a diagram so they get an idea of how I need the logs positioned.

Many thanks for anything you might have to share.

You may need to make one up for yourself.
Because different mills have different set ups. My mill loads logs from the drivers side and the sawdust is on the other side. Not like Tom's.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on November 24, 2013, 02:19:18 PM
...It apparently works since I have found it copied on other websites.   smiley_mellow 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.   ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Nomad

I'm with Pnyberg.  I borrowed his diagram with permission, but have yet to do a job I could set up like that.  And as Jim said, it depends on your mill's layout.  As well as how much help you have, support equipment, etc. 
     Best suggestion I can make is have an idea in your head what you'd like, and then work with what you get.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

I have read from many that go portable, some visit the site others do not, travel limits the option.  I do visit, and review the site, using nothing but verbal directions, it has worked for me,   I believe experience in portable jobs makes directions clearer each time, and have accepted the fact that sometimes things are the way they are, just another opportunity for learning.  MM might be the best one for this question,  and believe that being prepared for about anything is the way to go, knowing that Murphy's Law is always in effect,   A way in, and a way out, room for slabs, whether left or moved during milling, lumber stacks, most likely going to be left to some degree,
and dealing with the dust pile, if it's a large order,  lots of issues can arise,  make stickers off the bat is my motto,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I have abandoned a couple of replies to this thread.   ;D

I try to communicate as best I can with the customer about staging his logs.  The sawmill loader is behind the driver's side of the truck.  Level if possible, but if not, then the sawmill is on the downhill side of the logs.  I want the lumber to come off of the end (back) of the sawmill, and the slabs go the same way as the sawdust.  Sometimes the slabs may go off of the end, but no matter. 

The angled sides of the WM allows for many variances.   :)

I never make a special trip to inspect the logs or the sawing site, and I have never failed to satisfactorily saw a customer's logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

I just completed a job on a residential site this past week. Two acre site, 40'+ changes in elevation front to back, side to side. Not a level spot on the whole site. Had to back the mill up a narrow winding driveway into a small paved courtyard behind the house.

The job was only about a mile from VP Joe Biden's place, so I advised the client, "If a log gets away and goes out of control down the hill, just fire a couple warning shots from your shotgun"..... ::)

A diagram can be helpful, but usually you describe the setup to the client and they either get it, or they never will.

TGS

I try to visit the local jobs but often as not the logs are not always staged right then. I saw with a B20 so I try to explain that I load from the passenger side and stack lumber toward the front left. Still, its nothing short of amazing what I sometimes find even after a consult. Then there are those times when the logs have been skidded with something that can't stack and they are ever which way. I'm going to sit with my mill in several areas the next week or two and try to drum up some extra work. I want to have something in hand to pass out with business cards to those who seem to be serious about sawing in the near future.

I'm no artist but maybe I can put something together in sketchup. Thanks for the examples and the help, fellas.

Tom the Sawyer

TGS,

My diagram was drawn based on how I use my B-20 and is merely an example of how their site may work.  No two sites are exactly the same and the logistics of different brands will vary too.  That diagram doesn't work for me when I am milling at home.  Here I am under cover and have equipmet for moving logs.   smiley_thumbsup

Being copied doesn't bother me, several have asked permission and I figure that anything that helps another sawyer be more efficient, or produce better lumber, benefits all of us.  We have varying skills in photo-editing, video production, graphics, CAD and other technologies.  This Forum is the place to get help when you need it.   :P

For one who asked questions about something on my website, I even modified it to his situation and sent it to him.  I know of at least one website that copied my (B-20) site layout and he was using a WM (???).   smiley_confused

I prefer to make a site visit before any mobile job.  It has prevented lots of headaches; things they forget to tell you like the tight bends in the driveway, a low-water crossing, the covered bridge, setting up in the alley, etc.  Plus, I get a chance to see the logs (some people confuse diameter and circumference), walk them through the process, and determine whether I'll need anything else (like extra blocking, my short log rack, etc.)  Most of my clients have never had anything milled before or even seen a portable sawmill.  If working with experienced clients that may not be necessary.

If you are going to park your mill somewhere and meet the public, a handout would be very helpful in addition to your business cards.  I use a tri-fold brochure.  I used MS Office Publisher but there are other free or low-cost programs out there that will work, even a basic word processing program will work.  I print them at home as needed and have plastic brochure/card holders scattered around the area.   smiley_idea

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on November 24, 2013, 09:35:20 PM
I have abandoned a couple of replies to this thread.   ;D

I try to communicate as best I can with the customer about staging his logs.  The sawmill loader is behind the driver's side of the truck.  Level if possible, but if not, then the sawmill is on the downhill side of the logs.  I want the lumber to come off of the end (back) of the sawmill, and the slabs go the same way as the sawdust.  Sometimes the slabs may go off of the end, but no matter. 

The angled sides of the WM allows for many variances.   :)

I never make a special trip to inspect the logs or the sawing site, and I have never failed to satisfactorily saw a customer's logs.

So you wait till you get to the job to see if by the hour or BF ? There are so many things to slow you down sometimes.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

after finishing a small milling job this morning in the north part of the county, I dropped the mill at a staging area and made the drive down to the south end of the county to do the site eval for a fairly good sized milling job, seemed like a lot of extra effort but when i got to the milling site it was clear that the climb up the mountain was more then the truck would handle pulling the mill, The D-7 will meet me at the bottom and we will take the long slow stready climb to the milling site in tandom.
I had received photos of the logs and the milling site, but not a word about the drastic change in elivation or the condition of road.
This site has plenty of room to lay out the milling site in a veriaty of ways, after discusing the pros and cons of several options we came up with a lay out that that will not only work well for me but also for the customer giving him the most room to move the over sized logs, lift heavy beams and slabs off with the excavator, move trailers in and out as needed, and got a jar of honey and a box of chantrells for my time ;D as well as a well thought out game plan for in the morning eliminating some potentialy time consuming delays.

Yet my next two milling jobs are less then ten miles apart and will be done site unseen as they are over a four hour drive away, both have had other mills in to do milling in the past and assure me they have plenty of flat ground and equipment to handle the logs :-\

every job has its variables that a drawing will not show, like the small job this morning, the only semi level spot was in a location where the customer had to use the exstend-a-hoe to slide the logs to the loading arms, run the saw head to the far end and strap the lumber and swing off to a clear spot to stack it, (New home construction, narrow lot on a hill side) Had to back the mill down the long drive through the cluttered construction site, I knew what i was getting into as I had milled in the same tight little spot about a month ago.

draw up your ideal milling lay out and while you are at it draw up the ideal log deck, but don't expect the customer to have room, level ground or equipment for it to work, be flexable and smile ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 24, 2013, 10:51:22 PMSo you wait till you get to the job to see if by the hour or BF ?
I have always been able to determine that over the telephone.  My normal is bf except for ERC which is hourly.  There are a few exceptions, but not many.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

I's just sometimes I'm told the logs are in a pile and when I get there they have 4 logs in a pile and rest are all over. ::) when I'm cutting by the BF I can't wait for the logs.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I occasionally have to add an hour or so for log handling to a bf job.  The same goes for opening the faces of several rotten or hollow logs that were not sawed.  Neither instance has ever been a problem with the customer.

Peter Drouin

I'm going to start a thing on that Magicman.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I have found it always boils down to give and take, regardless.   Make what you can in terms of lumber and cash, with the goal to a satisfied customer.  Only had one bad apple in 8 years, and he did not know the difference between wo and ro,  resulting in a feeling I had somehow ripped him off?  Now this was a head scratching situation for me, all is well, just lost a few more from the top of the head ;D    david 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

This is the layout I created for my information package that I email out to people who contact me. Sometimes they contact me by email, sometimes by phone and then I suggest that I email them this.

I will also attach this picture as a pdf document so you can download it and use it to show your customers if you wish.
I made this copy and took off my name and contact info.
The only thing that I didn't remove is the "WM" name in the middle of the mill. If you don't use a WM mill then just blot that out and put in whatever you want.

Feel free to use it if you can.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dboyt

I just tell customers that I need a clear level area about 40' square, with the logs stacked so I cut the best ones first.  It helps to be able to load from either side of the mill, and to be able to get into tight places.  So far I haven't been in a place I couldn't work in, though I have milled in driveways in town.  I do like the diagram idea on the web site, though.  I visit the site if it isn't too far.  Otherwise, I have an extensive phone conversation so that we both know what to expect.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!