iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Peeler for Cabin "D" Logs

Started by kantuckid, October 28, 2017, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Kantuckid, What tool did you order (from russia)?  Was it the Lahzit tool that goes on an Angle grinder?  I need a better way of peeling a strip of bark for my sawmill that doesn't have a debarker.  For Ash especially that is dried on the log.  Looking at this angle grinder mounted tool, they demo it on thin bark trees only, Not heavily furrowed bark like Ash or oak or walnut.  So I wonder how it would work?  I wonder when you hit small stones how quickly it chips up the blades?
https://youtu.be/bc-Kuc10H58
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kantuckid

No, I've seen those and price point turned me away. I did watch some you tube videos of that one and they appear to be an effective design and also safe to operate.
Mine is easily seen on ebay under either bark peelers or log peelers. One ebay ad is from Russia, the one I bought is a motorcycle dealer in Ukraine. It is not Chinese built! The cutter head is very well made and everything about the tool is top notch. The blades are much heavier than an industrial jointer blade as an e.g.. Similar blade head to a log wizard but heavier blades and blade holder too. Easily removed for sharpening with a hex wrench. It would continue to cut for your purpose even after a rock nick. Any edged tool would have that result if you hit a rock.
If you go back and read my post you'll see the ebay item numbers which could have changed. I can easily find them if you don't find them right off. The tool comes with a list of various name brand saws it fits onto. That list is longer than the list seen in the ebay ad and also different between the two sellers ads. In reality they are the same tool exactly and The pulley will fit onto lots of chain saws. It replaces the saws bar and chain and is mounted in place of the bar. The V-belt runs out to the cutter head. On a small saw like a Stihl 170-250, etc. it would be a lightweight set-up.
Mine is for sale at a price to recover my $$$. PM me if you have interest? I'm an honest guy, retired tech education, etc..
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

bugpeople

I've had good response from these guys:

http://www.rotoclipinc.com/.

Made in the USA. Originally designed for trimming sheep hooves, then someone figured it was good for shaping logs. I have 2 of them, and they do a good job and they are super fast. Need a full face shield to use, though. Seriously.

I don't use them on my logs for my home because I don't want to damage the cambrium layer under the bark, but every building style is different, and they work great on logs for everything else.

kantuckid

The bark peeler r.e above has 100mm straight, HSS blades not carbide inserts as above that are for gouging into wood. That tool is similar to the modern, carbide insert wood lather tools except it's a rotary tool.
Arbortech (NZ made) is another wood "hogging" tool used by woodworkers to hollow out bowls and pricey just like that one you show.
Cambrium is what the bugs like for desert :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

bugpeople

Quote from: kantuckid on January 10, 2018, 11:28:44 AM
The bark peeler r.e above has 100mm straight, HSS blades not carbide inserts as above that are for gouging into wood. That tool is similar to the modern, carbide insert wood lather tools except it's a rotary tool.
Arbortech (NZ made) is another wood "hogging" tool used by woodworkers to hollow out bowls and pricey just like that one you show.
Cambrium is what the bugs like for desert :D

Well, I used the $25 blades. They need to be precisely sharpened, but I was able to peel a 10' cedar log in about 40 min. I've heard Arbortech is a great product, too.

Using my "spud" on pine logs in the video above: takes about an hour to do a 50' log, if the stars and the bugs are aligned right. :) On the winter-cut logs I just felled a month ago, it took me 3 hours to do a log....

Thank You Sponsors!