iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Loading

Started by EZ, May 21, 2003, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Hi Guys,
I have every thing I need to put hyd. log loader on my mill, but, now I am questioning myself on it. With the winch and ramps it dont take long to load a log. Most of the logs I saw are in a line and not a pile. The smaller logs I can roll them closer to the mill with the cant hook, but them 30 inch and up by 16 ft long I can't move, so I hook the winch on them and roll them up on the mill. My question is , you guys that have hyd loaders how do you get those big logs to the lift, if your doing the work yourself.
EZ

Tom

I use a cant hook and eat a lot of Grits. :)

Sometimes I push the log with my truck, tractor or, God forbid, ask someone to help. :D

One of my favorite cant hooks, until I broke it, was made from a large hook, that came off of a big Dixie, and a 6 1/2 foot Sweet Gum 4x4 that I had slimmed down a little with a draw knife.  I stuck it in a big oak log one day, climbed up on the handle and was pulling back back when it broke and deposited me unceremoniously on the ground on my back from about 4 feet in the air.   :-/ ::) ouch!

I've never put another handle in it but have found the times when I wish I had.

Minnesota_boy

Most of my logs are already in a pile when I get to the site, because I tell people that's how I want them.  Once in a while, however...

I have a 4x4 truck that I pull the mill with and I carry along a couple pieces of chain and a cable choker.  It's surprising how much log you can pull with a 4 wheel drive. :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

I drag my logs in and winch them into a pile then roll them down off  the pile by hand to load them.

Minnesota_boy

Once in a great while, I get a log in the pile that I can't move with the cant hook.  Then the winch comes out and I wrap the cable around the log and hook it back to the mill and winch away.  It's so sloooow, but then I remember that it will take me half an hour to mill and stack the lumber anyway, so I just wait patiently for the winch to do its job.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frank_Pender

For the stationary MD Mill I will simply get the log in the correct position to be rollied onto the bunks and push with the tractor, if the log is over 3,000 + pounds.   If less than that, I simply locate the log with the loader on the tractor , onto the bunks and anchor down.
  For the MD Mill that is not stationary, but set atop a factory designed trailer I get the log to the holding bunks and roll them with the tractor or Peveay,   Again, if the logs are much over 3,000 lbs. I place them where the hydraulic loading arms and reach them and lift away.  Sometimes I have to healp the loaders with the tractor loader as the capacity of the mill arms is limited to about 3,000 lbs.
Frank Pender

EZ

Well I always consider myself for being pretty stout,at 5ft 6inches tall, 185 lbs, but when I hook on to one of them big logs with the cant hook and can't move it, then I must be doing some thing wrong. The cant hook handle is 5 ft long, but some of these logs are sunk in the mud, or are bowed, this must be when you guys are moving them with your truck.
EZ

woodmills1

a few hints for moving logs without equipment.  put some bunks down before the logs are piled.  use 4x6 or 6x6, but in a pinch some small dia fairly uniform logs will do.  use your chainsaw to remove lumps, branch stubs, and the like before you try to roll them.  invest in a stout long pry bar, they can do wonders when the peavy falls short.  finnaly a well place hydraulic car jack, even a small one will help even the stoutest logs get into a position where gravity helps.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

Grits, EZ Grits!  is you eating your Grits?  Get a bigger lever and bowl of grits.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Tom

;D     ;D     ;D

biziedizie

Oh yeah Tom's good old skyhook is the answer. :D I think we all need a skyhook. :)

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!