iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Crossroads

Yes Darrel, I'm sure you did see some maple coming over 58, that's a beautiful drive in the fall as is hwy 20. To bad you didn't make it over to the coast, I was just puttering around the farm all day and had a bag of fresh home roasted coffee that my Wednesday, Thursday customer shared with me. It's really good coffee ☕️
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Don P

This turned out to be interesting. The matriarch of the farm we've been working on asked us to take down a dead birch tree of some sort in the front yard this week. It was around 20" on the butt. Planted by her uncle in the '40's. We were doing some cleanup and maintenance today and did a little slabbing so we threw it on. It is very heavy, the 12' log was a little over a ton. Very pretty inside, sort of a fruitwood aroma, if one of you can identify it further I'd appreciate it.

Crossroads

That's a nice looking slab Don! Sorry I'm no help with the id. I've tried to call you a couple times since I've been home, but haven't been able to catch you at home. I hope all is well. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Don P

Good deal Kevin, I knew you were trying to get well and caught up. I'm home but our phone is crackling pretty bad today, it's been raining cats and dogs and its coming and going bad. Nothing pressing just wanted to know how the trip went. I'll give you a shout when it drys out and clears up.

The upper twiggery looked more birchlike and it sure rotted up there like a birch, its an ornamental of some sort, so far its Betula Morticia :P

Southside

Quote from: Darrel on May 26, 2018, 05:35:11 PMthose great big leaves,

Just how big? Sycamore leaves can look a lot like maple, only huge.  Not sure if it's out there or not.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 26, 2018, 07:14:49 PM
BB, looks you got it set it and running.  That's good it all worked out.  

I got about 10 hrs on it now since they replaced that valve and it has been cutting and operating flawlessly. Very impressed with the mill and woodmizer making sure I was happy with it. I found another issue today that I'm not sure if it's a set up issue or design issue with the log deck. The blade guide arm sticks out into the loading arm of the log deck preventing maximum width cuts once the blade is about 10in off the deck. I already pulled the deck out a couple inches further from the mill than what the setup specs show and if I go much further the loading arm will miss the stop it is supposed to hit. I'll pull the deck out a couple inches further tomorrow and see if I can get the clearance needed. I'm glad I decided to run it for awhille before hammer drilling and anchoring the 40 or 50 bolts in the deck.
Quote from: E-Tex on May 26, 2018, 07:20:38 PM
BB, very impressive sawmill setup.  And Congratz on the first paying saw job!

Thank you.  I'm really enjoying running the mill. It's fun , exciting and a little stressful all at the same time. I had to just step back and take a break a couple times to calm my nerves.

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 26, 2018, 07:58:33 PM
BusyBeaver.......What horse power you got sucking your sawdust out?

It's the wood master 5 horse that was suggested to me by the all knowing yellowhammer. At the moment I have the cheap flexible dryer vent junk hose on it and the suction collapses the hose. I'd estimate I'm only getting 20% of the flow I should be. I ordered a heavy duty flex hose from a commercial leaf vacuum and a swivel to replace the dryer vent.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Busysawyer

Decided to slab the "free" walnut log I grabbed from right up the road tonight. Maxed out the wide head with a couple 34 1/4 " wide cuts. Zinged a couple nails and trashed 2 blades but I think it was worth the slabs. The log deck works great as a slab conveyor. Just slide the slab off onto the deck arm and run it down the line.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on May 26, 2018, 08:02:05 PM
Red maple is ubiquitous around here :).
Yup, I am finding that it is sorta omnipresent. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Looking good Bb.  Nice slabs and also your log deck setup.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

An accurate contingent affirmation on the maple for sure there Magicman  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

Maple is almost as plentiful as oak around here. The GOOD stuff is the trick--nice solid maples, with reasonably sized hearts (of course everyone wants sapwood), the couple that with seeking curly, and it becomes a task!

Curly stock is money in the bank, just like walnut--maybe even more.

Nice maple slabs are also high demand--add curly figure, ambrosia, spalting or burls and double down.

If I sawed nothing but maple and walnut I'd be happy!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

ellmoe

I have two "slab worthy" red maple logs about 20" dbh on the yard. You will usually find them in the transition zone between the swamp and "hill" ( in peninsula Fla. that's the ground about two feet higher! ). I don't find "stands" of maple, just the occasional tree. In my home I have a bedroom we finished with t & g red maple, an attractive wood.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

Even though I now find that my area might have a scattering of Maple, maybe even on my property, I have never been asked to saw any.  Maybe it is such an odd occurrence that the landowners don't know what it is either.

I do know that the predominant tree species, soils, and terrain changes about every 50 miles when you leave the Mississippi River and progress toward the East. 

Crossroads

I've not mill what I'd call a lot of maple, but what I have milled, cut very nice. Although the last maple I cut had enough stress in it, that it split at the pith about half way down the log after I had taken a couple slabs off the opening cut. 

mike_belben

Wormy red maple makes a very pretty floor for us financially challenged homebuilders.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

I ain't calling no names but recently it looks like several members have been educated way beyond their intelligence levels and have been failing to do justice to the English language. :D :D :D

Lynn,

BTW the red maple I remembered in Fla had much smaller leaves than most of the trees I see up here. As I remember most leaves were around 2" across (bigger near the base of course) while most maples here have leaves in the 4-6 inch widths. It is common to see leaves 6-8 inches across on the striped maples because they are more of an under story tree growing in more shaded areas. All (except box elder if I remember correctly) have the same unique maple shape.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Yes, boxelder is the only maple with a compound leaf. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

BB, at least you know there is some serious suction if the hose is collapsing. 

I like your concrete pads.  

The blower has a 6 inch inlet, I went with smooth duct along a wall to about the middle of the mill frame, then to the swivel, then maybe 10 feet, maybe a dozen or so flex hose to the exhaust on the mill.  That way I could get full travel, and have a minimum of flex hose which has corrugations and reduces flow.  The swivel will really take the twisting strain off the flex hose and keep it from kinking.  

You have a very nice setup.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 27, 2018, 01:04:44 PM
  I ain't calling no names but recently it looks like several members have been educated way beyond their intelligence levels and have been failing to do justice to the English language. :D :D :D
I resemble that remark :)
MM,
There should be a whack of red maple in yore low ground coming off the Big Muddy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Are you finding any red maple in your area that is actually big enough to be worth sawing? That I remember in Fla was too small. About fence post size was typical.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I don't have any lowland even close to the Big Muddy.  Lots of Loess Bluffs between my property and "da river". 

ljmathias

Now that I think about it (brain kicking into gear now) I have seen Maple here: there's one right outside my door in the front yard. Course, that was a present from kids for my birthday a dozen years back, and it's the only one on our 54 acres, I think. Could be some hiding somewhere, but surely not big enough size to be logged. My b'day tree is only about 8" at the base but immediately branches, then branches again, all the way up the trunk. Pretty tree, useless lumber. Plus my wife would disown me if I cut it down since she likes to sit under it when talking to the grandkids sometimes.

Thanks for the invite to the pig roast but resources being what they are (near zero) and time available for adventures (ditto) pretty much rules that out. Maybe someday when I'm older, wiser and richer.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Busysawyer

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 27, 2018, 02:56:38 PM
BB, at least you know there is some serious suction if the hose is collapsing.

I like your concrete pads.  

The blower has a 6 inch inlet, I went with smooth duct along a wall to about the middle of the mill frame, then to the swivel, then maybe 10 feet, maybe a dozen or so flex hose to the exhaust on the mill.  That way I could get full travel, and have a minimum of flex hose which has corrugations and reduces flow.  The swivel will really take the twisting strain off the flex hose and keep it from kinking.  

You have a very nice setup.  

Thank you. I mounted mine in the rafters and will be able to get by with 15ft of flex hose. Not much time for sawing today, spent about 3 hours this morning moving the log deck in and out and up and down trying to figure out how woodmizer expects this thing to work properly with a wide head mill. The way they have me setup I'm limited to about 28 inches of cut width . After I gave up on that I decided to put cement slabs under the mill and anchor it down. No more walking woodmizer. I still found time to make a little sawdust. 

I helped one of our boys build a pallet out of left over lumber we had laying around.  He did most of it himself.

Milled a little maple for future pallet material. 

Against the advice of pretty much everyone I dipped into my walnut stash and grabbed one of the lower quality logs and slabbed it out. All in all a good day

Magicman

So Bb, are you building with or selling the Walnut slabs?  Just curious.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!