iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perseverance

Started by Roger2561, May 09, 2013, 06:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger2561

For the past 10 years I've been working hard on losing weight and trying to decrease my chances of a suffering a stroke or heart attack.  I used to weigh well over 200 pound - on someone who's 5'6" tall, that's a problem.  My self esteem, confidence, energy level, etc... had plummeted nearly to the point of no return.  I had to be put on blood pressure meds as well as cholesterol meds.  I also had become a board-line diabetic.  I used to smoke 2 and half packs of cigarettes everyday and I was within a few points of going on insulin.  I never could push myself away from the table as long as there was food left uneaten.  Finally, about 10 years ago, with some friendly prodding, I tried walking with my co-workers.  We wouldn't go too far; I was quickly out of breath.  But, it seemed as the weeks went by my stamina increased and the distance of our daily walks increased.  About 5 years ago I began a lite running routine every morning before going to work.  To give you the Reader's Digest version of this story, yesterday I had my yearly physical.  My doc has taken me off my blood pressure meds (my BP has never been in the low 120's over mid 70's) my sugar test read 94, down from 120 (that's tested after fasting for 24 hours) my weight has dropped from 220 to 150.  Doc says this is a good weight for me.  My energy level has gone through the roof.  Oh, I never use the elevator anymore - I run up and down the stairs at work.  It's a 4 story building.  I quit smoking (what a money saver).  And, my eating habits are much healthier.  Did I mention that I'll be 52 in couple of months?  I guess the moral of the story is, if you want something bad enough and you are willing to put the work into it, you can achieve that goal.  Am I going to tell you it was easy?  No!  It was very difficult at first but as time went by it got easier and easier and looked forward to the walks and running.  If I can do it, you can too.  Roger     
Roger

florida

Roger.

Bravo! Good for you, that takes a lot of will power but sounds like you did it. Keep up the good work.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

thecfarm

Another weight lose and change of life story.  8)  Put that smoking money away and buy something for youself that you would not of brought. You have added many years to your life. Good for you!!!!! Your wife and kids must be happy too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Onthesauk

Outstanding Roger! 8) 8)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Chuck White

That's great Roger!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roger2561

Quote from: thecfarm on May 09, 2013, 08:26:02 AM
Another weight lose and change of life story.  8)  Put that smoking money away and buy something for youself that you would not of brought. You have added many years to your life. Good for you!!!!! Your wife and kids must be happy too.

I did this for me.  I live alone.  I do not have a wife nor any kids that I'm aware of.  :) I have many nieces and nephews, though.   

I have co-worker who is in the hospital with pneumonia coupled with his hypertrophiccardiomyopathy.  All brought on by years of smoking, wrong eating habits, inactivity...you name it.  He refuses to quit smoking (actually I think he's convinced himself that he doesn't smoke.  Take it from a reformed smoker; he smokes.), his definition of a balanced diet is a couple of egg McMuffins in one hand a couple in the other hand, the only exercise he gets is going from his office to his car at the end of the day.  He's a year older than I am and he will not live to see retirement if he doesn't do something to help himself.   
Roger

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

Great job Roger!  Amazing the inspiration one can get around here  :)

Bibbyman

Congratulations!
I have a similar story but not a total success yet.  Some ten years ago I went to the Dr blood pressure in the range of 220/150.  The Dr put me in the hospital for extensive tests.  They found no obvious cause they could correct so they drugged me senseless and sent me home. As I started loosing weight and improved my diet, I could keep my blood pressure within range with less medication.

In ten years I've lost some 50 pounds,  took early retirement from my office job, and reduced my medication to one 50 mg pill a day.  My last checkup was good and the doctor suggested that I could probably stop taking the last pill this summer.

My struggle is seasonal.   I generally have no problem keeping my blood pressure and weight in good shape from late spring through mid fall. But struggle in the winter months.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Make yourself happy. That's all that matters.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

Way to Roger! 8) 8) 8)
Three dancing smileys for you!

My biggest goal is to just weigh less than Jeff by the time the pig roast rolls around this summer.
Not an easy task when one loves meat and dairy as much as I do.
And to top it off, the beef and milk(if I want it) is all free from work.

Proud of you. Keep up the good work!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

r.man

Congratulations Roger. Lifestyle change to the better, I am envious. I have tried the food and exercise thing a few times but it doesn't last, maybe next time....
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Brucer

For anyone who's thinking, "I wish I could do what Roger did, but I'll never pull it off," notice that he set himself up to succeed. A nice, gentle start, followed by small incremental increases.

Back in the early nineties I "lost" 40 pounds at the rate of about 3 pounds per month. Most of it stayed lost, except now I tend to cycle a bit between sawing season and non-sawing season :D

Good stuff, Roger :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodandtractors

Roger-Congratulaions on your weight loss and lifestyle change! I should be trying something similar myself-I need to start walking more and eating less. Stop in and visit sometime if you're in Plymouth.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

crtreedude

Good going Rodger. I did something similar, starting many years ago. I was at 280 once, this morning 193.5 (I am 6' 1", roughly). 

I think it is not only about perseverance, but changing the way you think about food. I had noticed thin people relate to food differently. I love chips, but I have learned I can snag two from my wife, and that will be enough for the taste, since a taste is all I want. 

And so true on just starting walking. When I started, probably 10+ years ago, I could barely walk up a flight of stairs without being winded, but within a year, I was hiking hours at a time every weekend, now I not only walk the plantations, ride horses, but I ride mountain bikes.

Losing weight isn't the hard part, lots of people do that, and gain it right back, changing your lifestyle is what makes it stick, at least that has been my experience.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Magicman

Thank you Roger for the inspiring testimonial.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roger2561

Quote from: Brucer on May 10, 2013, 01:51:21 AM
For anyone who's thinking, "I wish I could do what Roger did, but I'll never pull it off," notice that he set himself up to succeed. A nice, gentle start, followed by small incremental increases.

Back in the early nineties I "lost" 40 pounds at the rate of about 3 pounds per month. Most of it stayed lost, except now I tend to cycle a bit between sawing season and non-sawing season :D

Good stuff, Roger :).

Brucer - And, keep in mind, I had support from my co-workers too.  They were the ones who started it with their friendly but not overbearing prodding.  There was no way i would have been able to accomplish this without the support of my co-workers. 

Another aspect of support I have is my health coach.  About 2 years ago my place of employment hired 2 doctors to care for the employees (6 months ago they hired a 3rd doctor).  At no cost to me, (every visit to the doctors office is free - no charge) the doctor will see me anytime I need help.  I'm a 5 minute walk from his office.  More important to me is the health coach who is part of the program.  She has been helping me with the mental and physical aspect of this, coupled with the nutritional aspect of it too.  She is a great cheerleader.  Heck, she and the doc gave me a high five when my sugar numbers came back at 94.  I think they were more thrilled with my numbers than I was!  Early in the program she would call me every week to see how I was doing and to cheer me on.  She would send emails inquiring the same.  Heck, once she Skype (video conference) to see how things were going.  Without all of this support, it would have been a struggle to stay on track.  I wish more places of employment would do something like this for their employees.  They would see moral shoot upward.
Roger

Magicman

It is gratifying to read about medical professionals who are more concerned about your health than the $$$.   :)

The healthier you are the longer you live and the longer they have you as a patient.  It's a win win.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

They would see moral shoot upward.

And the health costs would drop too. That sounds like a good progarm.

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!